1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37PV500 & ES10 - aspect ratio not fully working for 16:9

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by puntograle, Jul 25, 2005.

1. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received the new 37PV500 with ES10 DVD Recorder over the weekend...

...after 2 days, I am very happy with it. I have a loft aerial that is pumped over CT125 satellite cable, amplified, and fed into the plasma. The DVD recorder is currently connected via component with PAL Progressive turned on. I have ordered scart (tech+link wirexs) as well, but not arrived yet.

Using the above setup the off air reception is the best I've seen (compared to shop windows and demos). Shows you that even the good retailers do not have decent off air signals (or are split far too much). When you take the vivid colour reporduction into account, I do not miss CRT at ALL.

DVD playback is also extremely good over component.

I have a question though for 16:9 playback. Currently most of my 16:9 DVDs show with a black bar at the top and bottom (i.e. letter box). If I use on the zoom settings, the screen fills out, but is truncating some of the sides.
    I also tried connecting the laptop over D-SUB to see high def playback, however this was even more letter boxed.

Is this letter-boxing a result of the 1024x760 pixel resolution of the panel? or is there a setting somewhere in either the plasma or the DVD player that will fill out the picture more?

Any experience of getting closer to 1:1 vertical mapping of PC signals with this plasma?

Thanks.

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Most "widsescreen" DVD movies are not a 16:9 ratio but 2.35:1 so you'll still get a letter boxed image unless you zoom the image but, as you say, this will crop the picture. This happens with all widescreen TVs not just your plasma.

Look here : http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

3. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that's explains it ! :)

Additionally, if a long movie is being viewed with the bars at the top and bottom, is there any implications for screen burn here? I'll have to check tonight, but I seem to remember that the very top and bottom row of the picture area can have a permanent brightness during the film....?

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I don't think you'll have a problem over a 2-3 hour movie. These new plasmas are supposed to be pretty much bomb proof when it comes to screen burn. You may see some temporary image retention but this disappears over time.