1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37pf9986 vs. 42pf9986

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Toine, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Here in Holland they are selling the 42pf9986 for £ 3200,- and the 37pf9986 for only for £ 350,- less (Yes, you read it correctly).

I checked and double checked the price, but £ 3200 for the 42" it is!

So this makes the 42" worth a look at.
    Now i´m looking through the spec´s and i see that the Brightness cd/m2 is for the 42" 400 and for the 37" it is 450.

But maybe more important : the contrast ratio is 500 (42") vs. 800 (37").

Makes this the 42" still interesting? I know the 32" and the 37" has Sharp panels, and they´re supposed to be very good. What about the 42", since Sharp doesn´t have a 42" on the market (yet)

regards,

Toine

2. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Only the 32PF9986 uses the Sharp panel, the 37 and the 42 uses the LG/Philips panel.

3. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JDL,

And do you have an opinion about the difference in de spec's from the 37" and the 42".
    I read in another post that you are very enhtousiastic about the 42pf9986. Did you see the 37" also?

Regards,

Toine

4. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the 32PF9986 for a month, Philips took it back because of the problem with the Amdient Light feature. :suicide:
    I spent a weekend with the 42PF9986 and yes is stunning but for my room is too big so i ordered the 37PF9986.
    The 37PF9986 also got the EISA award for the 2004-2005 for the best LCD of the year.
    As far as know nobody exept some press people have seen this set, it will be available in a couple of weeks.
    If the prices are correct and you have no room problems you should go for the 42 one, is common after all that smaller panels has better contrast ratios and tend to be brigther but the bigger screen always catch the eye.
    If you can, see them both and compare, truth is that both sets are state of the art. :thumbsup:

5. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, here in Holland the 37pf9986 is on stock.

But i think i go for the 42pf9986, since the TV is almost 6 meters away from my couch...

I don't think i get the chance to see them both working together in a store...

All the best,

Toine

6. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am more than certain that you will love this set :) .
    Happy viewing. :hiya:

7. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Never having had the privilege of seeing the 37" or 42" in the UK, but seeing the 42" being sold for £4299 (not available) on ther web, the dramatic reduction in price, in the event that the UK price remains in excess of £4000 would tempt me to go to Holland and purchase the much cheaper model.
    (carriage of such a big object ????)
    Would the set work in the UK
    Is there a European Guarantee
    Would extended warranty be available ? Would Holland dealer deliver to UK

Any one any experience of purchasing such items - I have seen TV,s in Calais being labelled as suitable for use in UK.