37PF9986 or LC-37GD1E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by viewer, Nov 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking around for months for good plasma or LCD. Have narrowed my choice down to phillips 37pf9986 or sharp LC-37GD1E. Any views, experience or advice. Can't decide between them :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Have you considered the fundamental differences ?

1. Sharp has external media box, Philips doesn't. This may may positioning of the Sharp (reduced sable count to display) easier or make positioning a second box more of a problem.

2. Sharp has a digital tuner. Philips is analogue only.

3. Sharp allows concurrent connection of DVI digital (or PC VGA) and component sources. Whilst we are in a transition period, this may be useful depending on your equipment.

3. The Sharp has a media card reader. May or may not be useful.

-Ian

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I ended up with the LC-37GA4E as I was linking up to an AV system I wanted a slim screen, so ditched the speakers. Screen is slightly deeper than GD1E but did not want to find room for yet another box. According to Sharp all the 37" screens are the same, you are paying for the different options. :thumbsup:

4. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What have av system(S) have you linked it upto. Wat's the quality from SKY signal

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have it linked to a Sony DB930 AV amp ( it's a few years old but works fine ) and Mirage speakers. THe DVD is fed via component and is great, the SKY is thru RGB scart and is OK. The movie channels are execellent and most of the channels are OK. The low bit rate channels are acceptable and you can only notice the problems when you get really close to the set, i.e. closer than you would ever be when watching TV.