1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37pf9986 - awful sound problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tony B, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have had my set for about a month now (it replaced another set after 4 weeks).

Much as I love the superb picture I am hugely disappointed by the audio performance.

Low level performance is adequate, so long as it is speech. As soon as you add music (say in the background) it all starts to go wrong. The speech becomes very difficult to understand. Turn the volume up (or if the soundtrack gets a bit meatier) then it is frankly terrible.

The back of the set resonates appallingly. I have tried applying blutack straight from the pack to areas of the back and it does make a difference. Unfortunately at higher volume levels (by which I mean anything above 50%) you can hear distinct resonances INSIDE the cabinet so it is not possible to damp these out so easily.

I did not buy this set with huge expectations on the audio side, but now, in 2 examples it has been so poor that I have had to bring forward my investment in A/V receiver and speakers. Cinema experience it is, but only as far as the picture is concerned...

Either I have been very unlucky to get 2 sets with similar audio problems or Philips have seriously screwed up with this part of the set.

Does no-one else have any problems like this?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the 37" is the same as the 32" then it would be interesting to know what settings you are running.

I had mine on 'Incredible Surround' for a while and it wasn't too clever. Changed it to 'Virtual Dolby' which is better. Have you tried them all?

Also in the sound menu you can set the graphic equaliser to suit your own taste. Make sure the loudness is set to 'off' and reduce the bass levels a bit. This may help stop the rattlin' an' buzzin'.

I certainly havn't had any of the problems you've encountered and the 37" is just a big version of the 32".

Let me know if this helps.

Jimmy.