1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37PF9986/12 Future Proof???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gnasher666, Jan 3, 2005.

1. gnasher666

gnasher666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I am just about to part with some hard earned cash but like so many other people I am finding it hard to make a decision.

Is the Philips 37PF9986 as future proof as they come? Will it accept all HiDef signals, 720p, 1080i etc etc?

They same goes for the Sharp LC-37GD1E 37” as this is also on my short list. Along with a Plasma, the Pio 435XDE.

I read about all the different inputs, DVI, HDMI and the copy protected HDCP(?) and would like to know if DVI, which is on all three of the mentioned screens is enough?

I want to be able to play games on the screen, I have both a PS2 and an Xbox and want to pipe a PC through the TV too and so I am begining to think LCDs would be better. Although the primary use will be SKY+ and DVDs and wouldn't want to disguard the Plasmas too easily.

I know of the pro's and con's of the two technologies but is Plasma image burn a big problem? Compared to CRT TVs is it worse, the same or better?

Thank you all in advance,

Andy

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Not necessarily. In 720p mode it has a border, the difference between 1366x768 and 1280x720. 1080i is fine. Sky HD will be predominately 720p, I don't know about HD-DVD or blu-ray. There is currently no information whether Sky 720p HD broadcasts can be rescaled to 1080i, likewise, if HD-DVD/blu-ray can output at 1080i.

If bordered images would bother you, its worth considering this point.

Likewise, Sharp have admitted problems with some 1080i sources via DVI on their G series models. It didn't work on a 32GD1E with my HDMI DVD player at 1080i, but was fine at 720p.

-Ian

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It does seem hit and miss. That said my GA4 will do both 720p (no borders) and 1080i with no problem through DVI.