1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37PF9946 plasma questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sloxam, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sloxam

sloxam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just purchased one of these, looked great in the store, superb picture (shark tale dvd) in store. just some q's though.
    bad solarisation in certain instances, any advice?
    active control. on or off? with or without sensor?
    is it worth buying a converter to use the vga option or should i stick with rgb?
    using sky digibox, set to rgb and monster scart lead (paid £30 for lead to get £149 table stand for free!).
    -please advise if you can. :rolleyes:

2. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have other model of the family, but most of your issues are common to all members.
    * bad solarisation: I'm not sure what you're talking about, if its daylight reflected on the panel, there's no much thing to do, except to close the blinds or something like that
    * active control: it only works with sensor. Experts usually advice to turn off these kind of features during the first 1000 hours or so of activity, to extend plasma life. Having said that, I like it turned on, in minimum or medium.
    * my model has DVI instead VGA. If you can throw something better via the vga that you can't via the RGB, then use it. Otherwise, if you are just to send a normal PAL signal to the plasma, the RGB is fine.

3. EL DOONUS

EL DOONUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this model and complained to Philips about picture quality specifically football via Sky digibox and after much 'humming and hawing' they eventually sent me the following explanation.To be fair the problem,in my opinion,is more with sky and the way they broadcast than with the plasma.The champions league final was filmed by sky sports and obviously trying to impress the rest of Europe they produced the best picture I have seen on my plasma since I got it.Unfortunately they don't put this much effort in normally.I have the default settings for 'soft' on all the time as this produces the best result.The active sensor is off.This is what they said.....

With regards to your query we can advise that In brief the slight
    blurring or colour banding effect that is only noticeable under
    certain picture conditions is a digital effect similar to the effect
    that may be seen on any digital LCD or plasma TV and that this is not
    a fault as it is within specification for this model, which is our
    entry level set at this size.

Should you be unhappy with the performance of this set please contact
    your retailer for further assistance.

4. Alhambra

Alhambra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I have the 42inch version of this Philips model (pf9946).

I'd be curious to know if your plasma has the same SuperZoom firmware fault as mine.
    See... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213869

My fault has been confirmed and I'm waiting to hear back from Philips engineers about whether there is firmware upgrade available.

5. sloxam

sloxam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    solarisation happens with rich colours and facial close ups, nothing to do with the sun on the screen. only seems to happen with sky though, watched lotr today and it was great. any ideas

6. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hmm, kind of an halo effect, or something? I got that sometimes also, depends on the type of image and transmission.

My TV has three levels of image processing, from more processing to least: pixel plus II, movie plus and progressive scan. More processing means better image but can have more secondary effects also.

When I notice image problems, I reduce from PP2 to movie plus. Usually that solves it. If the "halo"ing still persist, I switch to progressive scan and that solves it, although the image loses quality.

7. sloxam

sloxam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    unfortunately my tv doesn't have all those modes, only progressive scan and there appears to be no control over that, its automatic on port 1???
    thanks for the reply however.

8. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has it got the DNR option on menu, at least? If so, turn if to "off" or "minimum" to minimize digital processing, but only in the solarisation scenarios.