37pf9886 buzzing? firmware version?

M

miket

I'm interested in getting a philips lcd, either 32pf9986 or 37pf9986.
I've read the detailed and informative posts here.
I'm just wondering if the problems related to ambilight buzzing and firmware versions are referring only to the 32pf9886 or also the 379986?

a less important Q while I'm at it:- viewing distance of 8ft is it better to go for a 32inch screen or 37inch screen? I'd watch 50:50 dvd and normal tv.

thanks ..... miket

miket said:
I'm interested in getting a philips lcd, either 32pf9986 or 37pf9986.
I've read the detailed and informative posts here.
I'm just wondering if the problems related to ambilight buzzing and firmware versions are referring only to the 32pf9886 or also the 379986?

a less important Q while I'm at it:- viewing distance of 8ft is it better to go for a 32inch screen or 37inch screen? I'd watch 50:50 dvd and normal tv.

thanks ..... miket

Viewing distance question - I have exactly the same viewing distance and was wondering the same thing. Initially I was going for a 37" plasma, but after recently buying a selection of Home Cinema magazines, one of them (March edition of What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision) had a guide of viewing-distance-to-screen-size suggestions.

Ideal screen sizes based on MINIMUM viewing distances are:

5-8ft = 117-26in
8-10ft = 28in - 32in
10ft-12ft = 36in-42in

Som for an 8ft viewing distance, you're looking at anything between 26in and 32 in!

Made me think again about the 37" option! Its made the smaller 32" screen mean that LCD (instead of Plasma) is now a real option!

From 8 feet the 32" is perfect.

Avoid smal Plasmas like the plague! Idiotic low resolutions and dated technology.

Miket, the buzzing only seems to be effecting some 32" Philips. However, as you have discovered the 37" is probably too big for you. I have the 32" and I watch from 8 - 12 feet away and it is perfect.

Jimmy

Thanks for the Info guys.
It corresponds to what I thought:- I'd rather spend a fixed budget on a high quality 32 inch screen than a lower quality (looks, res, connectivity, PQ, features etc) larger screen. For 32 inch the philips is one of the better deals if you're willing to spend that little bit extra. Id like component though .....

cheers ... miket

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom