1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37pf5520d and Sky+ = poor PQ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dravla, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dravla

dravla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Just bought new Philips 37pf5520d and was very happy for few days watching Freeview through built-in digital receiver.
    Than subscribed to Sky+ and everything changed...
    Picture is grainy and there are shadows around all text, even Sky's. Footbal is even worse!
    Today got visited by a guy from Sky, who concluded the box's refresh rate is 50Hz, whereas TV is 100 Hz - hence all the problems!
    Is this possible???
    TV refresh rate can't be changed, I suppose (or at least I couldn't figure out how..)

Anybody out there who could offer some advice ? TV setup? Scart cables?Any other input I should try (DVI,RGB)? :lease:

I am thinking of cancelling Sky until HD is out...

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi dravla

Sky a ***p at setting there boxes up and the refresh rate excuse is *******s you need to check which scart they have plugged sky into on your tv it should be ext-1 if not swap it next you need to enter the picture settings on the sky box and change the output to rgb you should see a improvement in picture.next you need to setup your tvs picture settings contrast,colour,brightness ect i used the thx optimode setup on starwars attack of the clones to adjust these settings.

i would also suggest you change the scartlead for a better one dont spend more than than £30.

3. dravla

dravla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, mate
    I thought refresh rate story was rubbish. Ext 1 used and sky box is on RGB, any decent scart leads in mind?
    my Sky+ box is Thomson 80GB.

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  5. scottwb

scottwb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dravla,

I also have this TV and Sky+. I have to say that the picture from Sky+ is excellent.

My setup is:

Sky+ scart (RGB) to QED scart/Component Video converter.

I then take the Component Video into the DVI on the Phillips using the supplied component/VGA converter and VGA/DVI adaptor.

The Philips input is then set to HD with Active Sensor switched on. I've also chosen the natural picture settings. Other than that I didn't change anything else.

The scart lead is a good quality IXOS.

Hope this helps.
    Scott