1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37PD5200, ventilation and connectivity

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Igwiz, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Very useful coments from you all on most subjects has prompted me to tap your knowledgable brains!

I am in the market for a plasma and as I want to put it inside an Ikea (don't curse me!) unit I am looking at the Hitachi 37PD5200. However, it would mean that there was almost no space between the edge of set and the edge of the unit. The manual talks about having 10cm of gap for ventilation purposes. Is this really required and should I be re-thinking my set placement?

Also, when I was thinking of 36" CRTs, the connectivity issue was always about the number of RGB enable scarts (or composite input). I notice on the 37PD5200 that there is only a single Scart and the other inputs are via phonos. Is this degrading to the signal quality? I have a Sony 5.1ch amp which I could use to channel multiple sources through but I have always been confused as to how the video signal works through this and whether again you are giving up quality for convenience. I have a video, a dvd player, a sky set top box and an xbox. Although of them can play sound through the sony amp.

Any views on these two points would be most appreciated.

many thanks,

Ig

ps How come only Dixons and Comet stock this set?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All plasmas get very warm, and I would think again about putting it inside anything. These days manufacturers can be quite clever and fit devices which can detect over-high temperatures, and going against what the manual says could invalidate the warranty.

Two questions spring to mind -

Why should you want to put anything as good looking as this TV inside a cabinet ?

Why do you want to buy from a high street retailer, when you can save hundreds by buying it online ?

3. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,
    It isn't a cabinet so much as a unit. Think of it as a shelf.
    I was talking about buying it online. Doing a kelkoo or froogle search only brings up the high street retailers at £2149.

A take your point on the warranty. I may have to rethink which will probably mean I go up to a 42" with propr floor stand anyway!

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If the unit has no back behind the plasma and it's not too close to the wall then I would imagine that you would be OK for ventilation.

John