37LG5010 - Blue Ray - PS3 Problem

harp_s45

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All , sorry first post apologies if this has been on here before ? :rolleyes:

I have just set up my PS3 to run with My LG37 5010 and whilst in Blueray playback the picture seems to stick i.e when a car drives past it will stop of a very short time (Not even half a second)then run then stop again e.t.c.. I have tried this with loads of Bluerays and it happens with them all.

DVD playback is fine and so if Games.

So my question is what settings should i have my Tv/PS3 on (sorry In a newbie with all this HD stuff) and 2 do you think it might just be a Faulty TV ? HMDI lead (Gioteck Solus Hdmi Cable - HMV £10) or the PS3 ?

Im taking the PS3 and HDMI over to a friends house tonight to see if Its either of those but I just wanted to check on here if anyone had had the same issue or if Im being an idiot and having the wrong set-up on the TV ?:suicide:

Thanks

The first place I would start is to know whether or not your TV is capable of not only accepting a 24hz signal, but also displaying it. It sounds like you may have a case of Telecine judder. The PS3 can be switched to output Blu-ray at either 24hz or 60hz. This can be found in the Video settings on the PS3. Set it to 'off' and see what happens.
If the 24hz is already set to off, set it to on - see what happens. if neither of these cure your problem, move on to the settings on the TV.
I don't know a whole lot about the 5000 series, but I'm assumimg it is based on other LG sets and has many of the same functions.
Does the 5000 have an 'advanced setting'? If so, it should have a Real Cinema setting or Film Mode. This affects 24hz playback - for better or worse - you decide. Switch it to on or off and check the results.
Do one thing at a time and try to be systematic so you know what setting has had what effect.
If none of the above works, I would suggest thinking about a replacement TV or repair as yours maybe faulty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, explains alot.

I had a good play around with all the settings (After reading about 24/60hz) and turned off the 24hz and that fixed it , So its streeming @ 60hz which looks fine .

So I can officially say even thought the 5010 says it will play @ 24hz it doesn't do so well with a PS3 !

Thanks

I have this TV and can confirm that although it can accept a 24fps signal, it will perform its own pulldown to 60fps (which it isn't very good at doing). As you've found the PS3 does this pulldown more smoothly than the TV (as does my S350).

Thanks for the reply, explains alot.

I had a good play around with all the settings (After reading about 24/60hz) and turned off the 24hz and that fixed it , So its streeming @ 60hz which looks fine .

So I can officially say even thought the 5010 says it will play @ 24hz it doesn't do so well with a PS3 !

Thanks

thats the thing, it may say it accepts it, and it does, but whether or not it does it well, is another thing.
some older tv's would just black screen when 24hz was selected, so with the addition of "accepting" 24hz material, you can see an image,and deselect it, to improve your image,rather than posting something like "black screen when selecting 24hz" topics..

I have this TV and can confirm that although it can accept a 24fps signal, it will perform its own pulldown to 60fps (which it isn't very good at doing). As you've found the PS3 does this pulldown more smoothly than the TV (as does my S350).

Spot on the PS3 does alot better job ! and even thought this tv doesn't do 24hz well it wouldn't put me off buying it , great picture for most things (although a little dark in places - but that might be me needing to get a better hold of the set-up!)
I watched some more blu rays last night and looked awesome @ 60hz.

Yeah someone people complain about juddering due to the pull down from 24fps to 60fps but to be honest I can barely notice it, the only time I notice it is when the camera pans and even then its minimal enough not to detract.

Try these settings for watching Blu Ray:

Mode: Cinema
Backlight: Depends on room brightness, usually 70 for bright room and 50 for dark room
Contrast: 83
Brightness: 39
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 55
Fresh Contrast: Off
Fresh Colour: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: Low
Black level: High
Film Mode: Off
White Balance: Warm

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom