1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37inch + LCD Panel choice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by osbornej76, Dec 5, 2004.

1. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am hopefully looking to spend c.£4k on an LCD (37" plus) that is HD compatible (DVI).

As a newbie to home cinema, I am finding it hard to locate a screen that has the features that I want.

1) No speakers. Why would anyone spend thousands on an LCD screen and NOT spend a few hundred on 5.1 surround sound? I dont want any speakers on the panel. They look silly, add £ to the price and (in my case) never be used.

2) No TV Tuner. A screen should be a screen. I am going to use a DIY PC with ATI All In Wonder gfx card with built in TV tuner, WinDVD etc. The screen will hopefully be wall mounted with a single cable running to a box hidden away somewhere.

Am I missing something?

Jim

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    lg have a 37inch out with dvi connection and only about £1800 or sharp but i think the sharp 37 have been discontinued it had component and dvi.what annoys me is if you lived in the states you get hdmi and dvdi and component over here we far more and get less for are money.if you do go the sharp route dont get the new panels because they dont have dvi the one you whant is the Sharp LC37GA4E it was £1900 on empire direct but has vanished of there site if you look around you should be able to get it for about £2500 dont forget this is the model they are going to stop producing

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the LC-37GA4E from Sharp and I did not bother to attach the side speakers and it performs well and looks the part. There has been a lot of activity on the forum about these sets stopping production, mainly because they are so hard to get hold of!
    Sharp have also confirmed to me that the DVI is HDCP compliant.
    I posted a picture of it on the "show us your LCD" thread

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Horny,
    I think the "reduced" functionality 5E's have fixed speakers?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    really that would be odd as all sharp 37" previously have had removeable ones (they fit in the box with them attached)
    there are still 37 HV4E floating around in stock and and Titanium are still available as are AD1E

7. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Rumour is that the 5E's will not have DVI or removable speakers. The 5E's will replace the 3E's, which will be discontinued. The 4E's with removable side speakers and HDCP compliant DVI will remain in production.

I wouldn't buy the 37HV4E because it doesn't have a HDCP compliant digital connnection, which is likely to shut you out of some HDTV sources.

With your budget you might look at the Loewe screens. But I think the Sharp screens are the only ones with removable speakers.

James

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    James,
    You are right. I have the 37" GA4E and that has detachable speakers ( mine stayed in their packaging and never made it onto the set ), it has also has a HDCP compliant DVI.
    The GA5E according to the brochure ( and a techie at Sharp ) has fixed speakers, no DVI, 200 analogue presets ( GA4E has 99 ), no 1-bit technology ( ?? ), no BBE sound system, no PaP, has FM radio, AV3 is S-video ( GA4E is Scart ) :lesson: