1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37inch lcd for media center pc

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AGS, Oct 24, 2005.

1. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to get a 37inch lcd with input mainly from mce2005 pc [either via vga or dvi/hdmi] for tv, dvd, photographs but am quite confused my the multitude of threads talking about 1:1 pixel mapping, 4:3 stretching; video card output res etc etc. I just want something that looks right/good and uses the screen size as best as possible for whatever I'm viewing. I like the look and opinions on the Sharp gd7 and p50, and also the jvc dm6 [all black versus the ds6] but now worried what they'll look like with the mce feed.

I'll also post on the mce forum to get thoughts from both sides.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    well forget the P50, as you'll want all the resolution you can get. I'd add in the Toshiba 37", just so you have a few to choose from.

1:1 pixel matching just means you can send the TV the same resolution as its own screen (1366x768). This should give you the best picture. The relevance of this may vary depending on whether you plan to do a lot of typing/reading on the screen, but its a reasonable goal to aim for.

1:1 pixel matching is often more difficult on LCD TVs via HDMI, as those inputs are often expecting video resolutions, which don't easily match up to those coming out of your computer.

Do you already have a computer? the graphics card you have can affect this.

3. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I do not have the mce pc yet for the same reason - bit of a chicken & egg situation....

I am not planning to do any typing/reading etc on screen, just dvd, tv, photos, music via the mce interface - so do the lcd's mentioned allow for the 1:1 pixel mapping without jumping through hoops ?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    the LCDs will all allow at least 1024x768 through. I think I remember reading the JVC will do 1368x768, which is as near as you'll get.

You might need a particular card for your PC which is more 'tweakable'. the MCE bods can help you on that.

5. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually you can connect at 1360x768, losing 3 pixels from each side of the screen. However, as far as I can tell, most large screen LCD TVs only support modes with 60 Hz refresh. Great for NTSC, not so great for 50 Hz PAL input. I decided to give up on MCE for the time being.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    yeah, thats another thing :)

So you can get very close pixel matching on VGA, but often 60Hz only (might be worth trying 75 for a multiple of PAL), whereas you can get 50Hz on HDMI but often not pixel matching.

You often lose some of the picture adjustments on the VGA settings as its 'just' for computers.

7. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - what are the implications of a 60hz v 50hz refresh rate - will it still be watchable if the tv is 60hz ? And do you know of any 37" lcds that do offer 50hz ?

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    TV in the UK is 50Hz. It updates the screen 50 times per second. If your VGA input is limited to 60Hz, it'll result in some 'jerky' motion, as it drops some of your frames to keep up with its own refresh.

Not sure which do 50Hz over VGA. Its an ongoing saga of compromise, promise and rejection that gladly I'm not part of just yet (no current PC usage on the TV)