1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37in vs 42in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Adlopa, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extra screen inches aside, are there any practical differences between a 37in and 42in plasma? Specifically the Panasonic TH37PW5B & TH42PW5B...

The specs are almost identical on the Panasonic site but the resolution of the 37in is given as 1366x768; the 42in as 852x 480. These would seem to be the wrong way round to me (surely the bigger screen has the higher resolution) but even so, are there any benefits to having a higher resolution?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I thought the 37 & 42 were both 852 x 480
    & 50" 1366 x 768

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Either they've corrected an error or you are going blind doing your research. The site reads 852*480. Relax, have a cold drink. You'll be needing the eyes later...

4. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm, looks like they've fixed it... So in other words, both screens are identical but the 42in just spreads those pixels over more square inches..?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Correct. The idea being that you sit further from the 42". The 42" will of course show up picture defects more too, pixels being larger, even though they may be the same defects. I should think the electronics must be the same in those two?

6. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    They are indeed fundamentally the same screens - I noticed the Panasonic website resolution error too!. The main difference is the pixel pitch (size), which also results in slightly brighter picture on the 42 inch. I also heard that the 42" has some more upgrade flexibility - it will take the DVi connection board, whereas the the 37" apparently doesn't. (ask an expert for more on this!)
    I've spent lots of time looking at both and trying to decide which one is best. In the end I chose the 37" as the smaller pixels give a sharper picture and show up less noise from weaker TV signals.
    Try to get a side by side demo, and play spot the difference!
    Cheers,
    Harry

7. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have been in the same quandry! 42 or 37???? Ive seen them next to one another and the 37 did look sharper! Tell me how much did you pay for your 37 & did you get the tuner box?? Question is tho will I always think " god wish id gone for the bigger screen!)

8. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kenny,
    Paid £2939 for the screen + £185 for the stand, which included the standard 5 year John Lewis warranty (the clincher!). The only downside is that the stand is on back-order with panasonic, so i'm having to wait 2 weeks to take delivery. Didn't bother with the tuner, as I have NTL. Once I get the screen, I'll play with different connections before deciding to go (like most) for one of the JS box converters.
    You can get the screen cheaper - for £2699 from Richer Sounds(but check back a few thread pages ref European panels), but no warranty (costs £250 for 3 years).
    As for the 'should I have gone for the bigger screen', I know exactly what you mean, but having seen many demos I prefer the safety of a slightly smaller, but sharper picture for less money, particularly moving from a crt to plasma for the first time.
    Harry.

9. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We dont have any John Lewis branches near us! Ive heard they have a much higher price on the tickets but your end up getting it for a lot less is this true?? Is the stand your getting also silver?/ As in the pannasonic cataloge it only shows black??

10. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - the store sticker price said: 37"+stand+tuner for £3994. Madness! Yes it is the silver screen & stand.
    Maybe its worth a trip to a John Lewis (not-so) close to you....!!

11. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also got my panny from JL (thanks to Harryson). But it seems that they will not do the screen alone anymore. I have seen the screen + tuner for £3200 ish. It might well be worthwhile getting a price match.

12. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only downside is that the stand is on back-order with panasonic, so i'm having to wait 2 weeks to take delivery.

I have the opposite problem. I am the proud owner of a stand but no sign of the panny yet, don't suppose you would lend me your panel..................................[