1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" televisions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by novice2, Dec 22, 2004.

1. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody offer any advice on the pro's and con's of the 37" brigade. I know this is down to preference but want to gauge personal opinions (after all you are the guys that would know!). I am thinking the panny as they seem to be market leaders (and it would seem to offer the most missus safe option both in terms of looks and ease of use). Any thoughts (or places where I can get a good deal?). I am also going to be making a foray into the world of interconnects and speaker wire. Can anybody offer any advice/opinions/experiance as to what they believe to be the best quality out there for use with the panny. Any advice as to DVD players and receivers also gratefully reeceived. Sorry to be a pain, but i am a seeker of knowledge. As grasshoper say, it is better to ask the questiond than question wheter you should have asked.

I thank you

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 37" PW7 and it's great. I would have gone for a 42" model but it wouldn't fit in the cupboard and room aesthetics was a consideration.

3. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am unaware of any difference in quality by way of picture between 37" & 42"
    panels. I am a believer that if the funds are available go for the larger panel.
    Somtimes you wont have as many connection options if you were to opt for the 37" model.

Im sure if you go for the 37" you may well keep thinking 'why didn't i go for 42" '. Ive adjusted to the size of the 42" viera now and dont realise the size of it untill you go into a mates house and c his tv video combo sitting on a coffee table.

But if the choice is financial and between an unknown brand in 42" or a well known brand in 37", make sure you go with the tried and tested brands as per the comments of the die hard fans on theis forum.

Happy hunting.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 42" because I could afford it at the time but then realised ergonomically speaking it definitely wasn't the best choice - as much as we want to believe otherwise, some rooms just aren't the right size for such a big screen.

As it happens I bought the Samsung sh*tty 42" Currys deal which I wanted to take back anyway, then ordered a 37" PW7 (admittedly only 2 terminal boards instead of the 3 you'd get on a 42", but who cares?) and I couldn't be happier. Great size, perfect for the long and narrow lounge I've got, and magnificent picture. Wouldn't trade mine for anything, and don't miss the extra 5 inches (not sure if the wife would agree... ;) )

5. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a P.O.S. 37" Philips that got sent back within 4 weeks of ownership - bought that size due to physical size and room layout. Didn't do too much background research though...
    Now have a 42" PW7 that I am far happier with - then 42" PW7 is about the same size as the 37" Philips due to not having a big fancy case with speakers etc. It has a nice slim frame..

If you can, get a nice 42"....

6. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I going to opt for the 37" because I dont think my room can take a larger panel. I think I have just this minute decided on the Panny. Thanks for the help. Let the shopping begin.

p.s I have just seen that Comet are offering the 37" Panny with a free floor stand for 2,000. Seems like a good deal to me unless someone can tell me otherwise?

7. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to do better than that. Try AV Sales (and possibly others).

8. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buyyourav.com (where I bought mine) are currently advertising the 37" PW7 for around £1330 including a free SCART terminal. You won't find a better price anywhere - and specifically AVOID Currys/Comet like the plague IMO.

I'm also pretty sure buyyourav.com are out of stock at the mo, so if you're desperate to get it ASAP check out Pricerunner.co.uk and Dealtime.co.uk, where you'll find a dozen retailers selling it for much less than the high street stores - one such retailer is krishav.co.uk, and as mentioned above AV-sales.com are also great for service etc.

Good hunting... :smashin:

9. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the current home cinema magazine and seeing one in the flesh, the Sony KE-P37XS looks very impressive indeed. It has the higher 1024 resolution and I think the floating glass frame looks well (only my opinion). I don't see very much on these forums about sony screens what are people's thoughts.
    The one thing about it is it is very wide because of the builtin speakers on the sides.

Does anyone rate "monster cables" products. I kow nothing about cabling but seen these advertised in curry's and places

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,335
    I think I would have bought the 37" Sony by now. Great performance/looks save for the fact that it doesn't have any Digital Inputs (DVI/HDMI). :nono:

11. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony and PQ is very impressive (CRT like). My room would have easily taken 42" but the more condensed pixel pattern on 37" (all makes) definately gives a better PQ from poorer sources (Sky). The speakers tend to drift into the background so it doesn't look wide in situ. Lack of digital input is a sad omission, USA version has HDMI so maybe the 2005 UK model will have it too.

F

12. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought the Viera 37", which is good. But every time I see the SONY I kick myself and wish I bought that instead. In every store I have seen it in, it always looks, sharper, brighter and the colours are more true than the others including the Viera.
    However it is far more expensive than the Viera now. Maybe in a few more years!