37" Sharp XD1E OR Philips 32PF9731d??!!! Size, quality or price?!!!

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by KHAFC, Dec 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed down my search to either the 37" Sharp XD1E or the Philips 32PF9731d.

The Sharp is £1,000 and a bigger screen size and 'full hd' whilst the Philips is only 32" and £1,299, although has the ambient lighting and pixel clear viewing which they say is just the same as a full hd set.

The 37" would look great size-wise as we are renting in a big lounge but will have to downsize our lounge in 6 months when we move out so am unsure whether a 37" would look too big in a 12ft x 14ft lounge.

Anyhow, can anyone give advice or experiences of owning or seeing/reviewing these sets to help make my mind up?

The Ambi light looks cool but with the large outer panel, it makes the screen look small whereas the Sharp has a smaller outer panel so doesn't look as large (make sense?! Hope so!)

So do I pay more for a smaller screen or less for a bigger? If it was the other way round I wouldn't be so reluctant on spending the cash - just seems weird that bigger set and full hd is cheaper than a non-full hd set which is smaller (although someone said that Sharp make their own parts so that's why they are cheaper sets - is that true)

Many thanks!

2. albamoto

albamoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Get the Sharp, The bigger screen will win the day if you are going to get a hi-def picture at some point i.e. hd dvd player or sky hd.

3. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - forgot to say that I'll view SD for around a month then be getting Sky HD and then just watching dvd's through it. Not really gonna do gaming on it so not too bothered about pro's and con's about that.

4. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    where is the sharp £1000 ? 1080p for a grand ? I'll be getting on if you send us a link !

5. skijumptoes

skijumptoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the philips pixel plus sets look amazing, the motion is really out of this world and im amazed that there's not more hype about them! They are one of the few sets that really do stand out from the crowd to me.

I would be looking seriously at getting one if the border wasn't as huge around the outside, i want to be around the 40" size on my next display but want it as compact as possible... Also at the price the philips sell for 1080p starts to become a more viable choice.

Very hard to say imo, have you seen both sets instore?

Lambert: 37" Sharp is £999 at empire direct.

6. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Empire Direct.

The 42" version was £1099 there, but they put it up to £1199, but dixons do it for £1150.

7. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen both sets in store and it doesn't really help!!!!

I think that the Phillips is a clearer image as it is smaller and the ambilight is great, but the Sharp still gives a great picture and you get more screen for your money. It's so annoying that the Philips has such a big border panel around it - it's almost the same size as the Sharp but only a 32".

I think I'm gonna have to flip a coin. Although saying that both sets seem to be sold out everywhere (unless you pay a higher price) so I won't able to see the new year in on one.

Wonder if the Phillips may come down in price anymore in the new year. It's come down from £1899 to £1299, whereas the Sharp when 1st out in October was £1999 and has now gone down a grand - which is great but makes me nervous in case somethings amiss with it or that improvements are around the corner?!