37" pw5b

S

SmegFirk

The rca terminal board that is coming with this screen has component input which is 5 inputs... the normal 3 and 2 for hor/ver sync...

I am considering a prog scan dvd player, but will using the 3 normal component outputs of the player into the 3 corresponding inputs work? as i won't be inputting a h or v sync...

On hificables.co.uk i can get a scart to component lead that has 4 rca plugs on the other end (the 4th is a h/v sync input)... obviously though, if i need to use this then prog scan is out as it doesn't work out of scart...

Thanks.

The 5 inputs can be used in one of two ways:

RBG - 5 leads, R/G/B and H & V Sync

Component - 3 leads, Y/Pr/Pb (H/V connectors being redundant)

You can use a scart to rca lead into R/G/B and scart composite sync into the composite input, and set the screen up to Sync on video. Obviously no prog scan and you are using up 2 sets of inputs then and you will not be able to use s-video.

Originally posted by codlord
The 5 inputs can be used in one of two ways:

RBG - 5 leads, R/G/B and H & V Sync

Component - 3 leads, Y/Pr/Pb (H/V connectors being redundant)

You can use a scart to rca lead into R/G/B and scart composite sync into the composite input, and set the screen up to Sync on video. Obviously no prog scan and you are using up 2 sets of inputs then and you will not be able to use s-video.

Disregarding prog scan, i was going to use a scart to 4rca lead (the 4th is a h&v sync which can go into either the h or v sync input) for dvd... then i was going to use a scart to s-video lead to connect my sky digibox...

Good?

Nothing will therefore be in the composite or vga inputs....

Nope, unfortunately you can't do that.

The scart outputs a composite sync signal (that is horizontal and vertical sync signals on one cable) - the plasma requires seperate horizontal and vertical sync signals.

The only way around this is to 'Sync on video' - in effect use your composite video input as a composite sync input. But if you do this you cannot use your S-video input as the composite and s-video inputs are in effect one input with two connectors.

One alternative option is to purchase one of John Sims magic boxes, either RGB to component or RGB to VGA - do a search here for more information and/or see www.rgbtosvideo.com

my plan was thought out after reading this on hificables.co.uk...

"The next best option is where your DVD has a SCART output and your Plasma has a Component RGB input (5 RCA or BNC). However, this is not as simple as it sounds. A SCART cable can only produce a 'composite sync' signal and not the 'vertical sync' and 'horizonta sync' signals that the plasma sockets for. Many Plasmas, including those below can accept a composite sync signal plugged into one of the two sync sockets.

Panasonic TH42PWD4U, TH50PHD3U, TH42PWD3U, TH50PHW3B, TH42PWD4VBX
"

I assumed my screen would cope with the composite sync, as its brothers/sisters do in the above list....??

Also, if i have to use JS type 'switch box' can i go down the prog scan player route

Perhaps it will work then, I was going on what somebody said in a previous post some time ago. It certainly does not say anything about that in my manual, just sync on video for scart.

I guess there is only one way to find out...

Yep... :)

Just one other thing... can i in any way get prog scan carrying component output from a dvd player into this screen... i do i simply have to forget prog scan as the screen has rgb/component input, not yuv component input..

Should a

Sorry, my earlier mail didn't make things clear:

The connectors (on my 42" panny anyway) are labeled as follows:
VD
HD
Pr/Cr/R
Pb/Cb/B
Y/G

So that is either:
R, G, B, HD, VD
Pr, Pb, Y
Cr, Cb, Y (another name for YUV)

My prog scan DVD player has connectors labeled:
Pr/Cr
Pb/Cb
Y

To be honest, not sure what it outputs, but it does work!

It's not simple this connecting lark is it? :)

Should a

Sorry, my earlier mail didn't make things clear:

The connectors (on my 42" panny anyway) are labeled as follows:
VD
HD
Pr/Cr/R
Pb/Cb/B
Y/G

So that is either:
R, G, B, HD, VD
Pr, Pb, Y
Cr, Cb, Y (another name for YUV)

My prog scan DVD player has connectors labeled:
Pr/Cr
Pb/Cb
Y

To be honest, not sure what it outputs, but it does work!

It's not simple this connecting lark is it? :)
Ok, i found this pic of the rca terminal board....

large-panasonic_rca.jpg

So your dvd connects to the last 3? just match the letters....? which would leave s-video free for my sky... ?

So your dvd connects to the last 3? just match the letters....? which would leave s-video free for my sky... ?

Yes.

Sorry if I was not clear originally.

Yes.

Sorry if I was not clear originally.
Hey it's cool... it's my first day on this forum and i've learnt loads... now to decide which prog player to get, i'm currently reading through the philips 963 thread as pal prog should be considered

hi, just make sure that your sky digibox can output an s-video signal, my pace sky box does not, just because you can connect a scart to s-video lead to the plasma it will not get the complete signal.

Originally posted by andynumpty
hi, just make sure that your sky digibox can output an s-video signal, my pace sky box does not, just because you can connect a scart to s-video lead to the plasma it will not get the complete signal.

The only Sky digibox that I know of that will output an S-Video signal is one of the older Grundig one's. All a scart to S-Video lead will do is carry the relevant signal- it won't do conversions for you I'm afraid...

Wouldn't a better option be to get one of the JS RGB-VGA convertors and connect up Sky through that? That way you'll get a better picture, and you get to keep your Composite/S-Video input free for something else :)

Kelvin

yes this cable will connect the 2 together but the sky digibox, mine anyway, will only output a rgb & composite signal not s-video.

Won't the second lead down do it?

Unfortunately not. Some Scart outputs (e.g. those on some DVD players) can be configured to output an S-VHS signal which can then be input into a switching device (e.g. an amplifier), or directly into a plasma/projector etc by using a cable like the one there. All that lead would do is change the type of connector, not the signal itself...

You could however, use one of
these to convert an RGB signal from the digibox to an S-Video signal which could be fed into the plasma's S-video input. (found on the JS Tech site - www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk)

Sorry :(

Kelvin

The expense never ends it seems.... my screen will come next weekend, i'm chasing a philips 963sa pal prog scan player too...

The s-video convertor is cheaper than the vga convertor (no doubt a quality loss to even the price out).

So i'll need digibox-->scart/scart-->convertor-->scart/s-video-->plasma

So i'll need digibox-->scart/scart-->convertor-->scart/s-video-->plasma

Correct :) I'm not sure on the difference on quality front, however, there's no doubt if you look around that the JS stuff is very highly regarded so I'm sure it'll be more than acceptable if not the absolute best you can achieve :) Maybe someone who's used both will comment.

And trust me... the expense will all be worth it in the end! I'm sure you'll agree when all's done!! Enjoy... ;)

Kelvin

Yes- select RGB as video output, and then take a scart to the convertor. Then, depending on whether you go for the RGB-VGA, or RGB-S-VHS, you would run a VGA, or an S-Video lead to the plasma respectively... :)

Thanks...

Is there a threat of burn in say on football? with the score fixed in the corner for 45mins at a time? actually, most channels have logos in the corner.. :confused:

Also :D with a 4:3 picture, do plasmas just not use the left+right edges, or do they actually 'display' the black bars

Screen Burn is always an issue with Plasma and there's not a definite solution that will prevent it - just be careful! Keep Brightness & Contrast levels fairly low, and try to avoid watching channels with bright logo's etc (e.g. Sky News) for too long. If your display has a screen saver option or a "wobble mode" (do a search on these forums if you're not sure or want to know how it works/activate it) then use it...

4:3 images will be shown with the Black bars at the side...

Kelvin.

Originally posted by kelvinp
......4:3 images will be shown with the Black bars at the side...

Kelvin.
Yes, i didn't think i worded that bit very well.... i meant do plasmas draw 2 black vertical bars, or are those areas of the display 'turned off'.... both will result in black bars, but the first will surely burn in the black.

I've read about wobble, its a good idea.

Sorry... I misunderstood...

As far as I'm aware, the area's of the display that are "black" when watching programmes in 4:3, or 2.35:1 etc are inactive - the display won't be trying to make the area black so to speak. Watching excessive material in either of these formats could well lead to screen burn (in the form of horizontal or vertical lines where the "edge" of the screen would be) but for general usage I'd imagine you'd be ok...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom