1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" Plasma, which one do I go for?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RockSteddie, Apr 1, 2005.

1. RockSteddie

RockSteddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hi All

This is my first time posting on this forum though I've been reading the threads for the last couple of weeks. I'm on the brink of taking the plunge into the wonderful world of Plasma TV but I'm just not sure which model / size to go for. Get ready for a glut of newbie questions !!

After seeing many positive views on the Panasonic range I'm very close to going for the TH37PW7B or TH37PWD7 (Seen on av-sales.com). Now I think i've definitely decided to go for a 37" model as I think a 42" would be just to big for my front room as the viewing distance from my sofa to the telly would be about 7ft (Would you agree?).

Also what is the difference between the TH37PW7B and the TH37PWD7 exactly as the specs look the same to me. Now the only thing I am hesitant about is that these models are not hi-def panels as they only support a 853x480 resolution and I have been told hi-def is the way to go and I should avoid wvga panels if I can afford to.

So which way should I go?.

This is what I will be connecting:

1) Freeview receiver
    2) Samsung DVD-HD945 (Prog scan & HD output via HDMI) - To be purchased
    2) Xbox
    4) Pioneer VSX-D814 HC Receiver - To be purchased

My main reason for getting a Plasma TV will be for watching DVD's. Will the Panny 37PW7B / PWD7 blow me away with quality of DVD playback via a component input or would I be better suited going for something like a Pioneer 435XDE which has true hi-def capabilities & HDMI input? Of course I want good quality PQ when watching freeview etc but not top priority for me (though the girlfriend would be upset with crap PQ on normally telly viewing).

Now money is always the driving factor and I have a budget of 2k (though I could stretch this a little). So do I go for a panny 37" screen which would also enable me to get the HC AMP and DVD player straight away, or save up some more and go for a hi-def panel like the pioneer 435XDE (then save again!!! for the DVD & AMP) ?

Sorry for waffling on but 2k is a lot of money to spend and I want to make sure I make the right decision. At the moment I just cant make up my mind and its driving me mad. I hope you experts out there can help!

Thanks for reading.

2. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    im in the same boat.... im not really sure if HD is a want for me. If its not gonna be common place for 3 or so years i can always upgrade then if i fancy it..... hmmm.

Bit OT but if i wanted to connect a similar amound of things to what Omi does but have a Yammy AX750SE to video up conversion the signals but also want a PC connection direct to the display would i just need to add a DVI card to the display?

3. RockSteddie

RockSteddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Well thats sort of what I'm thinking to, maybe upgarde to a hi-def panel a few years down the line. Its just I want to know if I would be missing out on DVD playback quality by not going for a hi-def capable panel eg 1024x768 over 852x48. Can the Pannys cut the mustard?

I hope someone here can put me straight on this.....

4. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i cant pretty much gaurantee that DVD playback will be as good, if not better on the pannys. DVD is fairly low resolution so HD compatability is not important, the picture quality is what matters for that.

5. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was faced witht the same question as you two a few months ago.
    Then personaly ignored HD after some consideration. I viewed a Viera
    and was very happy with the picture quality etc.
    Quite a few people on this forum are realy into there AV equipment
    and so strive for as close to perfection as they can, because they
    notice any slight artifact or a lack of detail in blacks. If you, like me are
    just moving into the world of plasma / LCD i would imagine you are
    not the type of person to notice things like this.

At no time in the distant future am i going to have a HD fed plasma sitting
    next to my current Viera to notice the differences, nor do i get involved
    so much in AV equipment that im going to notice the difference, and the
    only thing Comet etc are good for is shelter for homeless on a wet night!

So in a nut shell, i decided to review HD in the future.

Ive been known to be wrong in the past. :rolleyes:

6. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry about hd for dvd. A DVD is recorded in only ? x 480 or ? x 576, depending on whether it is ntsc or pal. So a display of ? x 768 is not going to make so much difference.
    Buy all the stuff you can afford now and enjoy.