1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" plasma recommendation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by lordbilly, Mar 1, 2005.

1. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi all. Looking to purchase a 37" plasma , wondered if anybody could recommend several alternatives. Concerning inputs would like at least 2 scarts , component and if possible dvi or hdmi .Not sure if i'm asking alot? It doesn't have to be hd capable. Got a Tosh PF2 at the minute and want to take the plasma plunge will there be a great difference in PQ? Any advice would be most welcome!!

2. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    The Panasonic Viera 37PE30 is a great choice. It has 3 scarts (2 RGB capable), Component (for prog scan), and S-VHS at the front. It also has a freeview box built in (which I dont use but is quite a good feature). It isnt HDTV compatable (no HDMI or DVI) but the picture via a Prog Scan DVD player is superb IMO and SKY via RGB scart is nothing short of very good either. All in all a definate 9/10 Plasma.......and at the ridiculous price of £1600 that most online retailers are asking you really cant go wrong!
    Another one to consider is the 37" Sony Plasma (37M1 I think).....but I cant really coment on performance cos I havent auditioned it......but connectivity is exactly the same as the Viera but no freeview (and over £100 more expensive.....cos its Sony). I own the 37" Viera and I couldnt be happier (although if money and space was no object, I would plump for the Pioneer 435XDE which is probably the best plasma in this country at the moment.....but knocking on £3000). Hope this helps :smashin:

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are not really many options. In the full-blown TV area, choose from:

Sony KE-P37M1 (£1650)
    Panasonic 37" Viera (£1650)
    Sony KDE-P37XS1 (£2100)

If you just want a panel, the Panasonic PWD7 comes in very cheap (£1000 + all the extras you'd need) and is the only realistic choice.

Go and demo those TVs - I'd get accused of all sorts if I tell you my opinion on them.

If youre gonna plump for the Panasonic Viera, wait a couple of months and you can order the new one with HDMI, high-definition support and fingers crossed an improved picture.

4. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks for the response. 42" might be slightly large for my room. the viera looks a interesting tv , i think i'll check it out. As to the panny 7 where can i get it for such a cheap price(thats if your allowed to tell me?).Where is the best price for the viera at the minute?once again thanks for the advice

5. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Give sound and vision a call......£1600 with pedestal stand if i remember. Then give Premier AV centre a call to match it to £1500 ;) . Then go into John Lewis and get it for £1500 with delivery and a 5 year warrenty (cos they price match). Thats what I would do. You can get the PW7 from www.av-sales.co.uk but by the time you have the relevent boards and stand the saving becomes incredebly smaaaaaaaaaaaall.......

Or you could wait for another year or two and get the perfect plasma from pioneer/panasonic/sony/blahblahblah. Or maybe in 5 years there will be a better one.... :rolleyes: My point is.....if you see the one YOU like buy it, it will be outdated tomorow but thats whats great about home cinema......there is ALWAYS something around the corner to get excited about and save up for. I for one cant wait to plug in my new Playstation 4/XBOX3 in 2009 all hooked up to my 50" Plasma with a resolution of 4600/2800 in my new front room of my new house :thumbsup:

6. RichardHannan

RichardHannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 37" PW7 few weeks back because space was a big issue in my house - worth pointing out that the Viera s are much bigger than you might expect. If I remember correctly the 37" Viera is significantly bigger than a 42PW7 panel !! (nearly 50" corner to corner because of the speakers / screen surround)

7. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    104cm is the total length.......not that big really.....