1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pete s, Jul 28, 2005.

1. pete s

pete s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ok, I'm new here, so don't flame me if this has been done to death! ;)

I'm just starting to look a little more seriously at taking the plunge and getting a flat panel TV, but I'm just not sure that 32" will be enough in my living room (and with my fading eyesight!). So I'm thinking 37" may fit the bill, but what is the best option at this size? Plasma or LCD?

Everything I've read so far indicates that bigger screen sizes (42" +) are better suited to plasma, but what about 37"?

Your thoughts please for a newbie :D

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I was contemplating this about 8 months ago, and the price difference was so huge I want for the Panasonic PW7 37" plasma, and am very happy - 32" is definitely too small, you lose the wow factor IMO. What's the price differences like now?

lisa

3. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Plasma. You´ll get a much better picture than with LCD.

4. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I would disagree and say it's a tough call at that size, and depends on what your main use for the screen will be, if it's going to be predominantly movies and high res gaming then LCD will be stunning, but for normal TV viewing LCD will not be the best and you will need to feed it a really good signal.

So go out and have a look and compare is what i would say, i had to make the same decision and as i primarily wanted it for Movies, LCD had the edge for me, but i don' think you woulld be disappointed if you went for one over the other, it will really be a case of personal liking, rather than one being technically better than the other

5. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Difficult decision. I was looking at the 37PV500 plasma and Philips 37PF9986 LCD. Totally different pictures, but I liked both. The 9986 has some connectivity issues and its image processing is not fully HD. The announced 9830 should fix that. I didn't want to wait any longer, so I bought a PV500. Like sandstheman says, go out and have a look. Try to watch screens in bright and dark environments, watch high and low quality sources and play around with the controls.

- Jerry

6. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a 37" plasma at Xmas and have never regretted it, I was watching an LCD TV recently at a friends house and to my eye it was no comparison.

7. Dave.B

Dave.B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm making a big leap of faith here in assuming that Pete S from East Devon is the Pete S I used to work with (I think I'm right though aren't I Pete?) but you need to get round to my place and have a look at my LCD - I think you'll be quite impressed.
    Given a good source like my Telewest box through the RGB scart, it's a perfectly good TV.
    I think my 32" may be a bit small for your living room, so 37" sounds like a good bet.
    Happy hunting.
    Cheers
    Dave

8. pete s

pete s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You got me Dave.... I cannot hide anywhere! :)

Will certainly be round to check out your new toy sometime. It's going to be a while before I can afford to buy, but I need plenty of time to research! :thumbsup:

9. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think LCD's are much more suited to the mainstream. They are preferred by most in well lit conditions, there are less worries with screen burn, they have a longer life and use less power. But for picture quality you will have to go and see for yourself as its purely subjective. I'm extraordinarily biased in that I find LCD's look unnaturally sharp, the edges just look wrong, the blacks are terrible and fast motion isn't handled well at all, and thats when sat directly in front; don't get me started on any position other than that! Plasmas on the otherhand look beautifully filimic and soft with deep blacks and accurate colours. But if the ol' eyesights going I always say why not get a DLP Rear Projection, you get more bang for your buck sizewise and can't tell the picture quality difference anyway :)