1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" plasma - how far away?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davegtt, Jan 18, 2005.

1. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    People, Im decorating the house in the next month and we'd love the plasma on the fireplace wall although the telly will only be moving about half a foot closer to the sofa but we're concerned the telly might be too close to us..... is there any guidelines as to how far away you should be etc. last thing I wanna do is decor the whole house and find the telly looks awful and unwatchable for a period of time etc....

Dave

2. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I have a 37" plasma and still roughly 10 feet away!

4. Skunky Cubes

Skunky Cubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch either a 83" projector picture or a 36" CRT TV from about 10 feet away and I wouldn't say either is bad. In fact the 83" looks fantastic. We looked at a plasma and was concerned like you about screen size. Screen size is certainly more of an issue with plasma because of their relative picture quality.

5. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the tips. due to the width of the room and the lay out we cant use the length of the room so we'd be sat approx 7-8ft away from the telly which seems a tad close....

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about the same distance from screen and buying a 37" plasma. It depends a lot on the plasma but also from the source, but in general 7-8ft should be fine for a 37" screen, 32" really is too small.

Don't forget also that the vertical size of the picture on a 37" 16:9 screen is about the same than on a mere... 30" 4:3 display :eek:, not to mention the horizontal black bars when watching 2.35:1 movies and the like... So pretty soon you find you that 37" for a 16:9 display don't amount to such a huge picture in the end... ;)

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I sit about 2 metres away from my 42" plasma and have no problem with this, although it depends on your source material if this will be ok. On Hi-Def DVD's even closer is fine. Some SKY channels quality is questionable, but again this is the source.
    I did test it out with the plasma I bought because I was thinking of the 37" and I'm glad I bought the 42" now.
    Maybe you should go to a shop and stand the required distance away to see what your comfortable with.
    If you are using SKY and DVD then make sure you are watching a screen using these and not a screen showing crappy analogue,

cheers

8. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, should explain better. we already have the telly. its the 37" Panasonic Viera. when we originally got it after an hour of viewing our eyes were killing. we managed to get it a further 2 feet away and its much better :) now its gonna come back an extra foot towards us if we mount it on the wall..... unsure of how its gonna be

9. markevo

markevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" panny and sit about 9ft away and its spot on, its not as big as you think, it takes about 3 or 4 days to get use to it then you wish you got the 50" haha.

10. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, it's amazing how used to it you get.
    what's your set up. If ur using RGB scart for SKY and at least component for DVD then I would say 2 metres would be fine (sorry I'm a metric person )

11. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    using RGB scart for the NTL box yes and the DVD is run off scart too but the DVD gives better quality than the NTL box so this sounds like it might be OK then :) thanks for the help guys, mucho appriciated

12. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have the 37" panny and we sit 6ft away, its fine!

S