1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" PE30 or PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jasper_mccrea, Jul 29, 2004.

1. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I'm really wavering on the brink at the moment. I think I can get a PE30 for around £2100, but is there anywhere I can get a silver 37" PW6 for less? I don't need the speakers or tuner, I'll be piping everything through my amp and TiVo respectively, and you'd expect that the PW6 would be cheaper.

I'm sure I could get the 42" PW6 for that price, but it's just too big (yes, yes, never too big, etc. :)).

I think all I'd need would be component inputs, as my amp does upconversion.

Pointers appreciated,
    Jasper

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    37" PW6? Didn't think you could get one of those ........

ZedZed

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you're right. Panasonic's website doesn't list one, anyway.

Is the PW5 (where there is a 37" version) much worse? And how much and where can I get one of them?

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You can get a silver PW6 for £1900 online!

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    42" Silver PW6 can be had for £1969.99 online including a dual width terminal board that get accept Component, RGB, RGBHV, S-Video or component inputs! Bargain really, not to mention that it's a great screen and compatible with future HD formats 720p, 1080i and all that malarkey!

O/T I was watching a 1080i downconverted picture on mine the other day, the quality is stunning!!! I can't wait for TV to broadcast at that sort of quality, the PW6 may not be able to do true HD, but even a converted signal is one of the best quality images I've seen...

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Where do I get the silver pw6 for £1969? I know I said it was too big, but I suppose when I had my 55" RPTV, I thought it was just right..

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Oh dear, I've just checked where I got it from and it's gone up!

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.asp?ID=511

Still not a bad deal though as it does come with the most expensive type of terminal board.

PCR Direct also had it for £1969.99 but with a Scart board and now that one has gone up in price too!

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/TH42PW6B

Looks like I got in there just in time :cool: hard luck to those who spent just a little bit too long umming and arring :oops:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There is no 37" PW6 there was a 37" PW4/5 and will be 7. overall difference between 37 and 42 is very little. SIZE wise!!!!!!!

9. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mmmm, I really don't like the look of the PE30. I'll look out for a 4 or 5 series 37" PW.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    do you mind it black? I might have a source if you are keen.But I'd still say, if you've had a 55" rptv, go for the 42". You will regret it if it seems too small. They do magically shrink when wall mounted.

11. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A source of what, MAW? I don't particularly mind it black, but she who must be obeyed probably would mind. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in knowing prices.

As for size, I've been living with a 28" CRT for the last few years, so the jump to a true 37" will be pretty good. I always think you get used to what you have quite quickly, unless you live next door to a big telly shop.

12. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would definitely go for the 42" PW6. The 37PE30 is quite big with the surround and I don't think there is much difference in the overall dimensions of the 2.

I had been watching a 28" CRT and thought this was fine...got the 42 and after a couple of days was wondering if I should have opted for a 50"!!!!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My source of 37" pw5 has in fact dried up, just rung them. I'll promise you won't regret a 42", and there'd be hardly any price difference anyway. The only 'monitor only' 37" I can think of is a sharp LCD now, bit pricey!

14. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jasper

Had the same dilema (going from a 29" 4:3 TV). My wife wanted a 37" screen didn't like the PE30 though so we took the risk of a 42" PW6 (in black though) and I'm glad I did. It does look smaller on the wall than in the box or close up in a store though it did scare the wife when we unpacked the crate ! Picture is good with Sky+ thru VGA but not excellent (yet) - only had it 12 hours so need to get it configured properly. No signs of artifacting or smears or solarisation (but then I've hardly had time to watch loads of stuff yet).

Also note with the PW6 you could get a 3 RCA component to VGA (socket) lead and configure the VGA socket to take component input I believe - that way you wouldn't even need to buy an input board (though you wouldn't get any composite or svideo inputs).

I think 37" PW6 is sold in US (at least it's on Panny global web site) but I too couldn't find any in the UK. I settled for buying from Nexnix cos they had stock. With RGB2VGA converter, cables, component/composite/svideo dual board, wall mount, 3 yr warranty and delivery I think it cost about £2450.

Talking to ?Andy? at AV-Sales, before I finally took the plunge, he suggested that AV-Sales might have more silvers on the way. I'm sure there are other sources out there too.

Andy

(horneydragon - I won't be telling the wife about the 37" PW7 or she'll only say "You could have waited a little longer" :) )

15. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was deciding whether or not to go for the 37" Viera or 42" PW6.
    As usual everyone was saying go for the bigger screen "they srink", and yes they are right there is little physical cabinet size between the two screens. However this isn't the whole story. The 37" has smaller pixels, therefore you can sit closer without screen door effect.
    I went for the 37" viera for a number of reasons and do not regret it.
    The screen in my room looks enormous, there is no way I could have had the 42".
    I sit anywhere from about 6' to 9' from my screen depending what sofa I sit on, and I can asure you it's big enough.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Vieras look pretty big with those speakers on the side. Just as big as a PW6. If you need speakers, get a viera, if you have an AV system, get a PW6. simple, innit?