1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37 or 42, wall or ped mount?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dickst3, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I am looking at buying a plasma and particularly like what i've read here about the 37/42PE50's - and they are cheap!! We watch all tv through sky, and watch the occasional DVD. We watch lots of films and sport esp. football.

We have limited space (two kids) hence the idea of putting a flat panel on the wall out of the way appeals.

Our sofa is a corner unit and varies between 6 - 12 feet from the wall that the plasma will be hung on.

How do you decide what size to get?

And what about hanging on the wall? Some of you have said the screen should be eye level - that will ruleout wall hanging.

Most public places (bars etc) have screen up high so it doesn;t seem to be a problem. Those of you that have them on the wall, any issues? Neck ache?!!

Thanks in advance. :)

2. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Hi dickst3

I recently bought a 37PE50 & wall mounted it for the same reason of freeing up some much needed space (probably more so than actually wanting to own a plasma). I must admit, I'd rather it was a tad lower but I needed to accommodate an armchair undernealth so I went about as low as I could for someone to actually sit in that chair. The height is fine & it only takes a few evenings to get used to your slightly different viewing position (needed to find a new laying down position for my Soccer Saturday/snooze afternoons). I highly recommend wallmounting if you can, you won't believe the space you unearth..

All I'd say is don't mount it too high like pubs do - they have to so everyone can see but I think it would become a pain if it was like that in the home.

My sofa is probably 11-12 ft away & 37" is sufficient but it's totally up to you what size you think you can get away with. I could probably go 42" but didn't wanna get it & then think it was too big. Make a cardboard cut out from manufactors details & stick it up there..

For some reason the search facility on this forum is disabled at the moment but if you search threads started by me you'll see some photos of my installation you may find helpful.

Good luck!

3. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice :smashin:

I have a picture in the same position on the wall which is a perfect size. I measured it lst night and its pretty much the same size as the 42 - a couple of inches bigger in height. So a 42 would seem to be spot on.