1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37"+ LCD recommendation requested

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by asm495, Oct 6, 2005.

1. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm currently looking into getting a new LCD TV screen to replace my stop-gap Sainsbury's Sonix 26" which will then get relegated to the bedroom. My requirements are:

• 37" or bigger
    • DVI support in dot-by-dot mode (i.e. no scaling of 1024x768 to 1366x768)
    • £2000 or less
    • Support for Sky HD services when available

I envisage initially that I will have only two inputs to this TV - DVI from my Media Center PC and my PS2 via component.

I've been reading up on the new generation of LCD TVs and it appears that most don't support dot-by-dot modes over DVI and just scale the output.

Does anyone have any suggestions which meet these requirements please?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

2. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wait for sky to xmit hd and the manufacturers to supply 1080 panels

They will be calling them True HD instead of HD ready.

Its just an opinion but as you say 768 scaling is less than perfect, plus of course its not too technically challenging to see how a 1080p screen scales very neatly when fed a 540p signal, which lets face it represents most of what you will watch on sky for the next few years.

I started a thread mocking the Sharp 540 panels, but having listend to the responses and seen the complete mess the latest Sony efforts make scaling 540 I have changed my mind, they are probably the best value on the market today.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Don't tell me you're a convert Joker, I may have to print this post out for posterity :D

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Benq DV3750 £1199 very cheap, not many reviews (I do not have one).

It's a 1980x1080 panel, but can only do 1080i, just like the Philips 37FP9830 which is £2400 :eek: , however 1080i should look really good without scaling (8ms):-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248469&highlight=dv3750

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236477&highlight=dv3750

Or Cleardragon 42" 1980x1080 (8ms) £1795 again not many reviews, and no DVI or HDMI has VGA ("only" a problem for HD-DVD, BlueRay, or PS3 but XBox and initial SkyHD will have analogue outputs):-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250613

5. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've received the Sharp LC-37GA6E on Tuesday. This has an hdmi interface and a pc (vga) input. The vga will only do 1280x768.

I'm waiting on delivery of a DVI to HDMI cable so I can use that as it is meant to do 1:1 1366x768 mapping (In reality 1360x768 or 1368x768 but won't go into that here...). Have spoken to techo's in Sharp who assure me it can do this.

My previous set the Sharp LC37GA3E did this until the screen got smashed.

Will keep you posted.

On yeah, the screen retails for £1650 at www.rgbdirect.co.uk (Very good service) or £1679 from www.empiredirect.co.uk where I got mine as insurance claim.

6. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC 37DS6

7. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Borgy - I had a quick look at the JVC manual and it says that it only supports 1024x768 PC input. Do you have this screen and can you confirm if it does support dot-by-dot mode?

Sledge - I'd be very interested in your experiences of the GA6E. I had in fact placed an order for a GA3E about a year ago with Empire Direct for under £2000 but they were unable to fulfil it. Please let me know how you get on feeding in a PC signal over the HDMI input.

The BenQ price looks too good to be true and doing a bit of digging around it seems that the PC inputs again don't support more than 1024x768. A year ago it seemed all the LCD TVs supported native inputs - even my Sonix LCD does that!

Thanks!

8. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8,
    I can't actually confirm this, just seen the PQ on this TV and was blown away, I know on the spec it claims it can do the resolution but unsure on dot-dot.

9. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    AVF member DowntotheBone gets 1:1 pixel mapping 1360x768 via DVI on his Benq DV3250:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236454&page=1&pp=15&highlight=benq

UPDATED

DV3750 seems to have PC input problems, only 1080i via DVI with HDCP (devices such as upscaling DVD player, HD-DVD, SkyHD, or PC with Windows Vista and hardware):-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6118286&&#post6118286

You could wait for these Toshiba units to arrive from Japan:-

http://www.myav.com.tw/forum/showthread.php?threadid=199904

10. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have followed the benq series as was interested in the 37" screen unfortunately it won't output 1920x1080 via the pc. Think the closest someone got was 1920x1080 but with a load of tearing.

Yes the 32" model will do 1:1.

11. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like the Sharp LC37GA6E is possibly the best bet at the time being. As and when you get the DVI->HDMI cable please let me know how you get on as I think that would be the deciding factor in a purchase. Thanks!

12. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received the cable today.

It does indeed do 1368x768. I still need to muck about with phase & clock to get it just right.

A side effect of plugging in the HDMI cable is that I could also get 1368x768 on the pc input. Weird stuff.

The menu options with this version are poor to say the least. You had pages of options on the older sets and next to nothing on this one for HDMI & PC input.

13. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's great to hear - looks like that's the only screen which meets my requirements. What do you make of the picture quality on the GA6E when connected to the PC?

14. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sledge,
    can you please let us know how this TV handles regular satellite tv,because this is all that I can get here,as I live in a valley.I don't play games,but do watch the BBC five,and dvd's.I was leaning towards the P50, but if the GA6E handles these broadcasts just as well,I will get that instead.
    I would not be using the Tv tuner,just my satellite receiver.
    Thanks, Dakara :lease:

15. mebourne

mebourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that's definitely 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan?

You wouldn't happen to know if it also does that at 50Hz or 75Hz, or just 60Hz would you?

Thanks, Martin.

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the JVC LT-37DS6 and it does 1366x768 from a PC (confirmed) although it takes a little fiddling with the PC display settings.

The Samsung LEXXR41 & 51 range have the best 1:1 pixel display from PC I have ever seen. Absolutely perfect. (I have the 26" version also).

17. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You caught me - its true - although I'm more likely to hang on for 1080 panels or to look at a big ol plasma for a song and pick something better in 2 or 3 years. :D