37 inch TV under £300...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by madeinleeds, Feb 8, 2009.

1. madeinleeds

madeinleeds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My first post here, though I have been browsing since before Xmas to try work out which 37inch TV will be best for us. I have a tight budget, and nearly bought the LG3000 from Bennetts for 368 inc delivery before they ran out of stock. I have kept looking around, but this caught my eye. On its website, Sainsburys list this (click link) at 399 - however my local instore are knocking it out at 299!

I have never heard of the make before - before I gamble, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Red 37" HD Digital LCD TV - Sainsbury's - Try something new today

2. The-One

The-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I dont' mean to be rude. But the specs/performance of TVs bought from a supermarket does not matter in the least, it's basically the cheapest TVs possible bought in very large quantities. If you only have £299 for a 37" then just buy it.

3. madeinleeds

madeinleeds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that and I know what your saying. We have a budget of £400, we want to be able to watch normal tele, dvds, the football & play the wii on it. However, clearly if this will do the job, it seems daft wasting the extra £100 on a "named" product? Unless some one had had one and they were were a waste of money - I have seen lots of comments on Accoustic Solutions TV's from Argos for example that makes me not go for one of them?

Cheers

4. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Any TV will "do the job", all boils down to how well you want it to "do the job".

Cheap LCD's = poor viewing angles, bad smearing, horrid colour reporduction, poor quality freeview tuners, etc. You really do get what you pay for.

It would be a better option to drop down to 32" and see what £400 gets you, the most basic models from brand names Like Toshiba, Sony, LG etc will be way better. Tesco have some good deals at the moment.

5. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    It sounds odd, but when you pay for a named brand, you are hoping to get extra contrast, deeper colours/blacks etc. But of particular importance still, is performance with Standard Definition viewing. HD material looks great on even cheaper HD sets, and amazing on more expensive equipment.

For your purposes, Wii, DVD, TV are ALL SD sources. You will find the cheaper TV does lessen your viewing experience, as you wont get any of the benefits of having those extra pixels in the TV.

You would likely be best off spending the extra for something like a Sony V series 37" (which review well) or getting a 2nd hand 37" from here or eBay or alike. Maybe consider a plasma. There have been a few Panasonic PX70 TVs in the classifieds here at around £350, and that would be perfect for what you require. IMHO.

6. nathcrow

nathcrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just had to register in order to comment in this thread. I bought one of these TVs yesterday, we needed a new TV after our ancient set died on Thursday, my budget was only around £350 as christmas is just out of the way and my second child is due in a few months. I had decided on a Toshiba 32" from Amazon until I happened to pop to Sainsburys last night. I had a quick look at the TVs and saw the RED 37", it was stood next to a 32" Bravia and I was amazed at how good it looked next to it,there honestly didn't look to be much in it (other than 200 quid). I had a word with one of the sales assistants and made sure Sainsbury's returns policy would alow me to get a refund if it turned out to be utter S*** after a few days.

I have to say that so far i'm very impressed, very sharp pictue and good colour definition, I'm amazed it cost me under £300. My advice is if you're on a budget then give it a shot, screw all this brand snobbery. What have you got to lose? Sainsburys returns policy mean that if you're not happy then you can take it back for a full refund within 28 days.

7. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ^ Glad to hear your enjoying that 1200:1 contrast ratio.

You know the saying, "buy cheap - buy twice"?

Hopefully they didn't go too cheap on components like capacitors since the ones around the power supply might just start leaking after a year or two...

Hopefully the PCB's are well designed and manufactured and the regulation lead free solder joints won't be to brittle and break...

Hopefully...

8. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I've just picked up the 37" Toshiba 37XV553DB from my local sainsburys for £391.47

18000:1 contrast ratio - 1920x1080 full HD

Tweaked around with the picture settings and got a very nice picture out of it from my rgb sky+ box.

For an extra £90 it's a no-brainer :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  10. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Those unknown brand TVs probably aren't worth the bother. I work at Sainsbury's and, practically every time I go in for a shift, at least one of those sets ends up behind the customer service desk having being returned for whatever reason, usually a faulty power supply.

11. simonofi

simonofi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just back up what has been said here previously.
    Our brick house of a Sony Trinitron widescreen tv gave up the ghost on monday and I spent ages looking around the net to see what would be best to replace it in 37 inch flat panel.
    I was doing some research and thinking it over and was not really sure what to go for, then whilst shopping I stumbled accross this RED 37 inch lcd tv in Sainsburys.
    I stood there and watched it broadcast the same tv show as the 500 quid Samsung next to it for about 20 minutes and the Red was producing a better quality picture with much more depth in colour.
    Areas where the samsung was just showing black the Red tv was giving more definition, detail and depth.
    So we took the plunge and bought the last one the store had and I must say the picture is absolutely superb, and we are delighted with this tv.
    Absolute bargain and a cracking picture!

12. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    It is possible to stumble upon good panels with an unheard of name or even no brand at all. I remember walking around Currys and seeing a 32" LCD for £200, it was unbranded but was producing a decent picture, it turns out it was using one of the latest Toshiba panels and all the tech. That's rare though, most of the unbranded and cheap stuff is cheaply made and the price reflects the quality