37 inch panny.. but which one?

pauleden

Standard Member
Reaction score
After an unexpected pay rise, the missus has finally agreed to consigning our CRT 24" to the recycling system.

I'm set on getting a Panny and budget is a little flexible around £500 but I've been told it's going to be a 37 incher.

What am I going to be using it for? Mostly TV, we'll get Freesat HD or maybe Virgin HD. I don't have a bluray player, I do have a library of SD DVDs and a network media tank, most of the content on it is 720. We occasionally use the Wii on it but as we have young children, we can expect it will be used for more gaming soon. It's a living room set and we sit about 12 feet from it.

So, the P37X20 is a plasma and 100hz, but is only HD ready (it is actually 1024 x 720) and is 100 hz

The L37S10 is an LCD, and is 1080p, but is only 50hz.

As the two are the same price, can anyone help with splitting the two?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Oh great. You've added another set to the pot! :D
So that's a full HD LCD with 100hz. Given that spec, this is a better set for me than the plasma?

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you're suggesting that as I'm not a vid buff, I should sacrifice the full HD in favour of more features. If I accept that, is plasma or LCD the way for me?

On thing I do know, it will be a 37. It's a shame because the 37 and the 42 are often the same price and feature set, but I'm told it has to be a 37".

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes, but the two things I do know is that it's going to be a 37" Panasonic, everything else is up for debate.

It's looking like HD ready is the way forward given that I don't have a blu ray player.

Plasma or LCD won't matter to you I think but at 37" then LCD will probably be cheaper. You going for price then or features since full HD isn't needed? The 37" I linked to has everything you will ever need out of it and can view 1080p on virgin HD. I watch Virgin HD on my mother 42" in 1080p and it looks great on HD channels!

Plasma or LCD won't matter to you I think but at 37" then LCD will probably be cheaper. You going for price then or features since full HD isn't needed?
LCD it is then. I think I should concentrate on features with the ~£500 budget.

What a wierd issue probably happens in bright rooms because of the backlight on the plasma. That#s why they say plasmas are better for darker rooms and LCDs for lighter rooms.

turns out all plasma tvs have a feature called ABL, and this limits the amount of power draw, and thus total brightness.

looks like the panasonic one kicks in way too early for my liking :(

my guess is plasmas are sold on the basis that 'hopefully it wont bother the customer'

Hahaha I just ordered the plasma version of that TV like 20 minutes ago.. Then read this thread again lol. Prefer the plasma version thanks to the 100hz/400hz and the 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio :)

Ah, now you see, mine was £50 cheaper, which is going towards a Freesat HD box. I was always straining the budget.:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom