1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37" 9986.... are you mad?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by osbornej76, Feb 9, 2005.

1. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't understand why anyone would buy this model.

Who on earth would pony up £2500 and NOT have a separate (read half decent) audio system?

Twin tuners, Speakers, Sub Woofer.. .dear god I was ready to whip my credit card out but with all that redundant crap I feel that I am paying for loads of stuff I dont want. and it looks like they have skimped on the inputs..no Compoment... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

This is like buying a £50,000 a BMW that comes with a bottom of the range caravan and a Goodmans tape head unit...

Tell me I am wrong.. I must be right??

Jim

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component is fine with supplied adaptor (as long as set is latest firmware - which by now they all seem to be). The sound on the TV is perfectly adequate for most of us, but if you are spending this sum on a TV, you probably take the home cinema experience fairly seriously so will already have (or will soon be getting) a surround sound system.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is correct that the sound system on the 9986's is just OK. There are definitely better sounding LCD's out there.

However, and it's a big however, the 9986 provides a better picture than any other on the UK market at the moment. The sound system, once properly set up, is perfectly satisfactory and most folks who go for this type of TV can supplement the sound with a Cinema System.

What is crucial, is the PEE KYOO!

Jimmy

4. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that is just my point, I really loathe PAYING for a integrated speaker system that is going to be nowhere near as good as a separate system.

Plus the fact that you have the damned speakers on display, just gathering dust....

grrrr

am really tempted though by the feedback on the picture quality.....

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    why not look at Sharp 37" GD1E (beetr connections just) same size and res, detachable speakers....... (37" GA3/4 sounds like they would have been ideal for you scarce now mate)

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Osborne,

There are very few TV's on the market that can provide a sound anything like a seperates system. Thank goodness. There's a time and a place for a good surround system, and it's not when you're watching The 6 o'clock News and Emmerdale. My point is that ordinary TV sound is perfect for day to day viewing. Non intrusive and easy on the ears.

The Philips on board sound is perfectly tuned for this purpose. It is articulate with voices and gutsy enough for incidental music and sound effects. It does require a bit of fettling to get this right, but once sorted is very capable.

So don't be put off by this Osborne.

Jimmy

7. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Plus the fact that you have the damned speakers on display, just gathering dust...."

As NXT technology is used you can't actually see 'speakers' as such, simply the black side panels. Yes, this does increase the width of the thing but there's no speaker grilles, etc.

8. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I wonder why they didn't go for the one fits all solution of having detachable speakers?