37" / 40" HD Ready LCD for under £750?

Z

zim_zimmer

I'm in the process of looking for a new TV. At the moment I have a 32" Goodmans LCD which is not HD Ready and does not have a VGA or Component connection (although it did have 2 RGB Scart sockets!), so thought it would be nice to get a HD Ready TV.

Ok, here is what I will be using my new TV for:

Watching Freeview via a PVR plugged in via RGB Scart
Playstation 2, also plugged in via RGB Scart
PC Input... I want to run my PC through it to play games on, watch Movies, etc...

As you may have notice there is no DVD Player running through it, main reason being is that I use the PS2. However I'm also thinking of getting a DVD player to go with the TV, preferably one that upscales to 'HD' format, is that 720p??

So what do you guys recommend? I've been scouring the forum for a while and come across a HANNSPREE XV37 that people seem to rate and its cheap too so thats an option.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

skillian97

Can't really help on the LCD chioce I'm afraid (not a lot of experience), but if you intend to have your PC connected to teh screen, why not just use that as your DVD player? You can get some excellent upscaling results.

DrugstoreCowboy

Novice Member
I tried a PC with the Hannspree - unless you set the PC to output 50hz (causing overscan) there's tearing on videos plus juddering on games.

I'm also on the lookout for a similar TV (replacment for the Hannspree) same budget and size as zim zimmer

oldnewbie

Can't really help on the LCD chioce I'm afraid (not a lot of experience), but if you intend to have your PC connected to teh screen, why not just use that as your DVD player? You can get some excellent upscaling results.

completely agree, I use my pc to upscale dvd's and get good results. What about this http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...&page=Product&fm=11&sm=undefined&tm=undefined I have the 32inch version and the pc picture is spot on so is the freeview, It does only have 1 rgb scart and 1 comp scart but you can by multi scart hubs that work in rgb. Some people on the forum have had problems regarding which panel is fitted (mine is a spva panel) but all I can say is give it a go because its the best buy I've made in a long while.:thumbsup: ps 360 connected by component @ 1080i looks amazing.

Z

zim_zimmer

OldNewbie... That Samsung looks quality. For just over £700 I never thought my budget would stretch to one of them!

The contrast Ratio is something else on that... 5000:1, unbelieveable. Most I've seen on a non-Samsung product in this price range is about 1600:1... the colours must be so vivid on it.

Have you played games through this telly from your PC mate?? Its a good £200 more than the Hannspree that people are raving about but would it be worth the money?

Z

zim_zimmer

Just been looking at this Samsung... Is it an old model??

oldnewbie

Just been looking at this Samsung... Is it an old model??

lol yes 8 months is a long time in the electronics industry, a new model has just come out but they are still producing the r73/74 models. the 32inch model was a grand when released and the 40inch even more. I play a lot of pc games on mine and 1 to 1 pixel mapping rules (1360 by 768). so I would say go for it dude. the 360 looks amazing @ 1080i on component. the sound isn't that good but I run mine through jbl creature speakers from the lcd and that way everything that is shown on the lcd comes through them ( pc,tv,360):thumbsup:

marty2005

There is a HD 37" lcd with freeview at Tesco for £499.

Z

zim_zimmer

the sound isn't that good but I run mine through jbl creature speakers

Yeah I have my AV stuff running through an amp into 5.1 anyway so sound isn't an issue on the TV... I don't even use the sound on my current LCD!! Just more a case of what the TV can handle image wise.

Whats it like on standard definition?? I presume it has an RGB Scart or two?? I run my Freeview PVR via RGB Scart

Whats the TV at Tesco Marty?

PS... cheers leamspaceman :)

marty2005

They have loads in the Gt. Yarmouth store, can't remember the brand though.

They've near the escalator.

marty2005

U could phone up gt. yarmouth store and ask them what other stores have the same model.

Or phone head office.

Z

zim_zimmer

These are the two 37" TV's I found on Tescos website... Is it one of these?

SS07200-4972TPS162823.jpg

Aspect Ratio 16:9
Auto Install Yes
Brand Digihome
Colour Black
Digital Tuner Yes
Fast Text No
Features of Product 37" 16:9 LCD DIGITAL HD READY LCD TV
Flat Screen Yes
Front AV Sockets 1
HD Ready Yes
Headphone Socket Yes
Optical Out Yes
Parental Lock Yes
PC Input No
Picture Frequency 50Hz
Product Depth 25 cm
Product Height 64.8 cm
Product Width 105.4 cm
Remote Control Yes
Resolution 1366 X 768
SCART Sockets 2
Screensize 37"
Sleep Timer Yes
Sound Quality Nicam
Table Stand Included Yes
VESA 400 x 200
Visible Screen Size 94cm
Wall Mountable Yes

SS07200-6888TPS113134.jpg

Aspect Ratio 14:3 / 16:9
Auto Install Yes
Brand Bush
Built in Recording No
Colour Silver / black
Digital Tuner Yes
Fast Text Yes
Features of Product 37" high definition LCD TV Latest quality TFT LCD display technology NicamDigital Stereo
Flat Screen Yes
HD Ready Yes
Headphone Socket Yes
Optical Out No
Parental Lock Yes
PC Input No
Product Depth 27.5 cm
Product Height 70 cm
Product Width 95 cm
Remote Control Yes
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
SCART Sockets Yes
Screensize 37"
Sleep Timer Yes
Sound Quality Nicam
Table Stand Included No
Visible Screen Size V94cm
Wall Mountable Yes

oldnewbie

Yeah I have my AV stuff running through an amp into 5.1 anyway so sound isn't an issue on the TV... I don't even use the sound on my current LCD!! Just more a case of what the TV can handle image wise.

Whats it like on standard definition?? I presume it has an RGB Scart or two?? I run my Freeview PVR via RGB Scart

Whats the TV at Tesco Marty?

PS... cheers leamspaceman :)

I find all lcd's are a bit iffy with sd but this tv is no worse, I find sd good once you tinker with the settings, it has 2 scart sockets 1 of which is rgb, component , pc input and hdmi. just as a side note, when I looked for an lcd it was imperative that it would handle 1 to 1 pixel mapping with the pc input because I use this as a really big monitor lol, and there are very few lcd's on the market that can do this, the r73/74 models can and look pin sharp @ 1360 by 768 @ 60htz ( no over scan or under scan at all ) :thumbsup:

Z

zim_zimmer

People do rate the Samsung on the PC Input I have to say. Is still within my budget but I've also thought now of getting a DVD Recorder with built-in Freeview and Hard Drive!! Might be able to puch my budget up another £100 (so £850)... reckon I could do it?

marty2005

Easy.

Tesco tv or similar 37" - £499.

dvd hd recorder inc freeview + £250-£300.

New Samsung dvd recorders are coming out soon dvd-sh853/55/57

160/250/320GB.

I only glanced at the boxes as I only went in to get something 2eat.
The specs u listed has "pc input as no" - that would put me off.

Next time I go in, I'll check the specs and make.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom