37"-40" 100hz, Freeview HD LED/LCD : choices

JayDubya

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently trying to decide how to replace my families ageing 32" Sony Wega 100hz CRT. It's still going strong, beautiful picture, but of course, SD and I'd like larger now.

I'm not the sort of person who regularly upgrades (the above having been my main TV for 13 years or so!) so I don't want to get my choice wrong (of course, n one does).

So, I've set my main criteria:
100hz min.
Freeview HD built in
5 year warranty
37"-40".

The tv will not be wall mounted and in fact will still sit in the corner, so wafer thin is not a necessity.

I like the idea of a smart tv, but the functionality looks pretty naff across the board at the moment, so maybe i'll get a set top for that when they're decent. Unless you can change my mind there (I'd at least like to be able to surf the net freely).

I was looking at the Samsung UE40D5520 recently and liked it, but since decided that I want to keep my budget down to £500 including a bluray player.

I have an option on a Toshiba 40TL868B at £400 incl 5 year warranty, but I'm thinking that maybe I'm paying for 3D I don't want, and Smart TV functions that are limited? Picture looked fine, but could not be convinced of its SD capabilities (quite a lot of my viewing) until getting one home as it's impossible to judge in the shop.

Our viewing is a mix of regular tv incl kids channels (CBeebies etc) and DVDs, and rentals (which would obviously become blu-ray).

I'd not considered the LGs but hear some good things. I'm pretty open minded on brand, away from really budget offerings.

So please help me out with suggestions and opinions (esp if you've had experience of the Toshiba mentioned above).

Many thanks

Julian

Do you watch lots of sport - otherwise, what has led you to want 100hz? For much TV and film, you'll end up turning it off - hence it may be a waste to pay for it - not many TVs in your budget have it (even the D5520 has Samsung's motion processing, not 'true' 100hz)

I would say your budget is rather tight given your wish list (the 5 year warranty adds cost, limits retailer choices), especially as you want a BR player (these are £70+ generally), leaving a little over £400 for the TV (more 32" money)

Not saying it cannot be done, but the TV will have compromises

There is a long owner's thread on the Toshiba in the main LCD forum http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1552839-toshiba-40tl868b-owners-thread.html

Last edited:
Hi vickster, thanks for replying.
i do watch football quite a bit yes. Not sure what you mean by turning off 100hz though? A reference to the Samsung situation where it is not true 100hz? I am surprised about the 5520 - read a lot of reviews and did not pick that up. My requirement is for true 100hz (the Tosh is true 100hz I believe).

Maybe I'm reading too much into the 50hz vs 100hz comparison - it certainly made a big difference way back then, when I was choosing my CRT TV. Not so for LED panels? I am worried about my kids who often sit too close to the TV - and I'm thinking that 100hz is easier on the eye, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

I did see the Toshiba thread, but although long it offers little insight into the TV itself really, a lot about warranties, retailers and 3D. Not too much info out there on this unit.

Given what you have said - for £400 or so for the actual tv, do you have any recommendations? Even any that are 50hz / cheaper that are going to fit my needs or give me better quality than the Toshiba above?

PS: I simply don't trust the reliability of TVs these days, hence the 5 yr warranty requirement.

great. I'm swiftly sliding back into "oh forget it, i like my Sony CRT who cares if its not HD...".

I tried to "upgrade" a few years ago, but as then, it seems there are just too many options - too many TVs to consider. And by the sound of it, at the end of it all i'll have something that i'll be disappointed in when I compare it to what I used to have.

I could just stop moaning, give the Toshiba a go, and send it back if I'm disappointed of course...

Are you a Costco member - 5 year waranty and 90 day no quibble returns

Where have you found the Toshiba in budget with 5 year warranty?

great. I'm swiftly sliding back into "oh forget it, i like my Sony CRT who cares if its not HD...".

I tried to "upgrade" a few years ago, but as then, it seems there are just too many options - too many TVs to consider. And by the sound of it, at the end of it all i'll have something that i'll be disappointed in when I compare it to what I used to have.

I could just stop moaning, give the Toshiba a go, and send it back if I'm disappointed of course...

It's a mine field out there. There are good ones and bad ones, you might need to go through a few sets to find one that is acceptable for you. Coming from a CRT, and you sound, for want of a better word, fussy (in a good way!) you may be better going down the plasma route as they are more CRT like than LCD

Are you a Costco member - 5 year waranty and 90 day no quibble returns

Where have you found the Toshiba in budget with 5 year warranty?

No. JLP price match. Good deal I think. I just want to know if it's a good telly!

It's a mine field out there. There are good ones and bad ones, you might need to go through a few sets to find one that is acceptable for you. Coming from a CRT, and you sound, for want of a better word, fussy (in a good way!) you may be better going down the plasma route as they are more CRT like than LCD

Fussy yes, but I'm no "trained eye". Plasma is just too big, 37" is where I started, then I decided that I could push to 40" for the right set, but even that is borderline, so 42" is too much. Shame as I do like plasma.

Then again, my above post aside - in reality my decision is about which tv to buy, and not whether to bother at all. I just don't want to either a) buy a dud or b) spend more on a set than I need to (e.g. the 50hz vs 100hz question). I think right now I would take a 50hz tv with built in Freeview HD, if I traded off the 100hz for say, decent Smart TV features, or lower cost to allow me to buy a cinema system too.

So, Fussy yes, but in a difficult customer kind of way!

No. JLP price match. Good deal I think. I just want to know if it's a good telly!

Fussy yes, but I'm no "trained eye". Plasma is just too big, 37" is where I started, then I decided that I could push to 40" for the right set, but even that is borderline, so 42" is too much. Shame as I do like plasma.

Then again, my above post aside - in reality my decision is about which tv to buy, and not whether to bother at all. I just don't want to either a) buy a dud or b) spend more on a set than I need to (e.g. the 50hz vs 100hz question). I think right now I would take a 50hz tv with built in Freeview HD, if I traded off the 100hz for say, decent Smart TV features, or lower cost to allow me to buy a cinema system too.

So, Fussy yes, but in a difficult customer kind of way!

I bet you'll bearly notice a difference between a 37" and a 40". And you won't notice a difference between a 40 and a 42.....

Thing is, the higher end TV's have more features like smart and 100hz so you'll likely get one with the other. You can turn off most of the judder reduction garbage anyway. I wouldn't be bothered about 100hz by the way. I'm VERY particular about TV's, having returned 3 over the past 12 months and my old 50hz has no judder what-so-ever, I watch a lot of football.

I would definitely get a sound system over other features.

I bet you'll bearly notice a difference between a 37" and a 40". And you won't notice a difference between a 40 and a 42.....

Thing is, the higher end TV's have more features like smart and 100hz so you'll likely get one with the other. You can turn off most of the judder reduction garbage anyway. I wouldn't be bothered about 100hz by the way. I'm VERY particular about TV's, having returned 3 over the past 12 months and my old 50hz has no judder what-so-ever, I watch a lot of football.

I would definitely get a sound system over other features.

Yeah, and £500 is only a little bit more than £400... ;)

I'm beginning to rethink my 100hz strategy now. Freview HD and 5 year warranty may be my only 2 criteria after all (and full hd which i didn't mention...). I would like a sounds system, seeing as thats something else that has gone backwards in the TVs themselves (what next, the return of B&W?).

So. Thats a whole new range of products to consider! The Toshiba is still an option, and I have it reserved until later this week which gives me time.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.

J

Freeview full HD, 3D, and Smart TV, are almost standard now, and 100mHz is irrelevant.
When 5:1 audio is available on a channel it's best to have a system that can handle it.
40" is decidedly on the small side these days.
A look around the internet for a TV and 3DBR package should find what you need, within your price range.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom