36ZP48 Review

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GlennP, Aug 24, 2004.

1. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been told that What Video & Widescreen TV will publish a review of the Toshiba 36ZP48 in their October issue which should hit the shelves on 2nd September. :clap:

2. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have the oct issue nothing in it and the next issue is the nov issue out on the 22nd sep. On my tube problem for PF2 tube blew after 14 months and somebody else on this forum said theirs blew after 10 months. The new tube I had put in was faulty so they are going to replace that one. I going to try and argue for the set to be replaced with a PF3 but as far as I know the tube in the PF3 is the same as the PF1 and PF3. I just wonder how long they will last.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY opinion is that magazines never ever have these televisions long enough to really give them a thorough going over and spot any real faults, i don't trust magazine opinions and if i'm going to spend a lot of money on a product then i want to be sure its good and magazines just leave me cold these days.

4. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    im getting my PF3 in the morning (i was the other unlucky boy whos tube crashed in 10 months).

Pray for me guys, i miss my big Telle.lol :)

Regrads
    Bboy-Mass

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I know what you mean Foxymulder

I wish people would just go and see the things with their own eyes, instead of reading reviews.. its fine to make a shortlist up from reviews, but not the final decision..

But, I see a similar thing on these forums all the time.. person A ask what TV to get model X or Model Y, then Person B replies, whose had one of the models asked about for all of 30 seconds saying how awesome it is, and then person B says, thanks, I'll get one of those then....

:)

6. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what FoxyMulder means about magazine reviews but until a few people actually buy one of these new models we have nothing else to go on. At least the review should highlight any immediate shortcomings as regards picture and sound quality. Most of the other problems people find often only seem to occur after they have been owned for a reasonable length of time so it would be difficult for a magazine reviewer to identify these.

7. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ok guys, its review time.

I got one, i got one ......lol :clap:

Looks:

Very nice silver finish, looks much better than the one I looked at in John Lewis over the weekend. My TV looks lighter colour of grey that the shop one. But that may be there shop lighting. Its 4.5 KG heaver that the PF2, and my backs also proof of that. It took a while to shuffle it from the hall (where the delivery man left it - Sorry mate, Im not insurred to help ya) tossa.

Picture:

No visible problems. TV reception via my arial was as the PF2 (crap) but pipe cable into it, and the picture is about the same as the PF2 (very,very nice).

The real surprise came from feeding DVD into it. I dont care what anyone says, this ACTIVE VISION is better than the PF2. It looks almost 3D, and the
    black levels (once I used Digital Essentials), was stonking. Dawn of the Dead 2004 (R3 Jap) looks amazing.

Sound:

DD sounds the same, but I dont use it anyway (I have me Tag and Rotels to handle sound my house), and the set comes with external front speakers and rears as standard (no stand mounts).

Picture bluring:

It may be because its day time, but I think the vaper trail issues have been ironed out. I cant remember if my old PF2 showed this defect during daylight hrs???? But theres no convergence issues on my set (as far as I can tell).

Stand:

Not got one yet? But pictures show 3 glass shelvs.

The shop forgot to deliver it. Its a good job I dont use TV stands, as I would be very upset. Its being delivered tomorrow.

So there you have it. I love it. :thumbsup:

Any more questions, just ask guys.

Looking forward to StarWars now, only 2 weeks to go. :D

Regards
    Mass

8. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you're pleased with it. I'm about to get one myself - wasn't sure to go for the older PF2 instead but based on your comments I'm now shifting more towards the PF3. I know you're not bothered about the stand but I've seen one on a ZP46 model in Dixons and it looks cool with the rounded glass shelves and having spent months viewing the ZP38 model in shops I'm also going off the black surround on the PF2.

One question, I've noticed on a few Toshibas in shops that there are two stray pixels, half way up, one at either side on the outside edge of the viewing area - more noticeable when the picture has light colours. The ever knowledgable shop assistant says it is because of the shared signal feed but I have my doubts as it doesn't show up on all models, just the Toshibas and I've noticed it in different shops. Are these stray pixels present on your TV or has anyone else noticed these.

9. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I spoke toshiba about my PF2 and no joy of getting it changed over. I have had it 14 months and I didn't purchase direct from toshiba. If it comes back again with problems then I will insist that I what it replaced and see if they will change their minds. I am not going to spend out 1K to just get the latest model.

10. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Potshot,

Speak to trading standards and get a name and number from them. then ring customer services at Tosh and tell them that so&so from trading standards want to talk to you. Give them the number and make it your mission in life to have your set swaped out. Once trading standards get involved, they will **** it mate. :suicide:

I know.

Regards
    mass

11. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    bboy

If it was within the 12 month warranty period I could gone through the retailer to get the set replaced, but it was 14 months old when it went wrong. I took some legal advice on it today and I was told that best I could hope for was a repair, if I went to court I wouldn't get anything better and basically because it was 14 months old. I still toshiba could of replaced it, but wait until it comes back next time and if its not right I will demand a replacement. I could of argued the set had a fault from new. Its just a shame that more people didn't reply with blown tubes then I could of proved the tubes are faulty and the set had a fault from new and got a replacement.

12. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Best of luck potshot.

BTW, I do have a PIXEL dot on either side of the screen, but Im sure my
    PF2 did as well. Just hope this set lasts longer.

:hiya:

13. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bboy-mass,

I've had four panny PD30s, all with various issues the last one was inspected by an independant engineer, my supplier agreed all 4 were not upto standard.

Now that the Tosh is a good looker I think I'm going to go for one as a replacement, as a happy Tosh owner what do you think ?

Thanks

builder

14. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Builder,

I have just finihsed watching the following films (all day long on my day off):

Dawn of the dead (2004)
    LOTR TwinTowers
    StarWars Episode II

And I am gob smacked. :eek: Now the tube has been run in and calibrated, I can confirm (on my set), that there are NO TRAILS OF GREEN light when watching LOTR or SW EpII. These films showed vaper trails on my Duff Toshiba PF2, and theres none what so ever on the PF3. I said in my earlier review that I had only watched Dawn of the dead and some cable TV during the first couple of hours, but now Ive had chance to view some films with the lights out: OH MY GOD I HAVE A PERFECT TOSHIBA.lol :thumbsup:

I realy do hope that this is not a one off. I have read so many complaints on this forum about the PF1,2 with regards to vaper trails and bad convergence, that it nearly put me off the PF series. But it looks like they have taken more care on the production line, or the tubes are better?

I cant wait to sit back and watch the Star Wars films on the 20th Sep, Im sure this TV will make these films look AWESOME.

Go get one, and I hope your set is as nice as mine.

Hope this tube lasts longer than 10 months.Five years will do me.lol

Regards
    Bboy-Mass
    Rockin the Dance Floor 1982-2004
    :D

15. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bboy-mass,

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to call my supplier today and and then have another look in the flesh.

What do you mean by calibration ? are you doing it youself and how or are you paying for someone to come in and do it, I assume you're yalking about more than the standard user remote adjustments.

Thanks

builder

16. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Builder,

I use Video Essentials DVD with THX glasses. These lenses allow me to set the right amount of colour and tint to reference level. The Brightness and contrast are also set to referwence level.

Here are my settings:

Colour: 38
    Contrast: 49
    Brightness: 62
    sharpness: -20
    Tint: 0
    Colour Temp: Normal
    Scan Mode: Progressive

Looks the bizz mate, hope you get a nice tube.

Regards
    Mass

17. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To confirm my note to you all which started this thread - the October issue of What Video and Widescreen TV is now out on the shelves and does indeed include a review of the 36ZP48. (Sorry Potshot, not sure which magazine you were looking at)

Anyway, the reviewer has given it 5 stars for sound and audio. It's only fault is apparently the weight - but this goes for all 36" CRTs. No doubt the review will be available for download soon if anyone is interested in the magazine reviews.

Bboy-mass and Badgeritis seem to be only ones on this forum who have one of these models and Bboy-mass likes his. Anyone else got one yet?

18. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Glenn

Sorry I was thinking of what hi fi sound and vision.

There are so many of these mags which start with what its easy to get mixed up.

19. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The two stray pixels...

Are they centre left/right on the CRT? If so then these are reference pixels used for picture set up, getting it central and also the rotation. Common on a lot of CRT's.

20. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry to jump in on this thread,,,, but whilst I’ve been in negotiations with John Lewis about price matching, I havn’t bothered keeping up with the forum.
    My question is simply,,,, am I right in assuming that PF1/2/3 refer to models of Tube for the Tosh set ? If so, are they a progressive upgrade by Tosh,,, & can one dictate which one they want when they purchase a set ?
    If they are progressive, I would assume that a new set (from a reputable retailer ??) would have the latest tube ???

My chat with JL has been, & still is, an on going one. After writing to the C.E.O they eventually allowed ‘delivery’ in the price match offer. They matched S&V which included the Tosh DVD player.

I called to place an order,,,,, but it was only then that they told me that they do not stock the DVD player that they'd already offered me ! They thought that they were being kind when they offered to knock £12 off the price in place of said DVD player !

In one instant their ‘price match’ doesn’t include ‘like-for-like’ (delivery),,,, then they argue that anything else would be in breach of the ‘price-match’ criteria ! So far, I have found with JL that double standards abound.

The saga goes on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

21. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A fair point of principle but then I would take their price for the aftersales it includes.

I'm going to switch to the ZP48 from my PD30 when Sound and Vision decide to accept my dispute with them.

22. David1970

David1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi first post here,
    I have decided on buying a toshiba 36ZP48 but I have been wondering if there are any quality differences from the 36" model and the 32" one. Would i find i get more problems from the 36" model due to its greater size or would both models be exactly the same also would the 32" model display a better picture. Any advice is apreciated,
    Thanks.

23. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the " What Widescreen TV" review thid month, I'm going to reject my 4th Panny PD30 and go for a ZP48.

Regards Builder

24. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    36" CRT's will suffer more from geometric errors such as convergence and bowing with more geomagnetic effects than a 32" will simply because it is bigger, making it more difficult to control the electron beam. That said, unless you look at test material (philips pattern for general picture set up, crosshatch pattern for convergence amongst many others) you would be hard pressed to see these errors unless they were really bad.

25. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any "anomalies" due to picture problems or broadcast quality will show up more on a larger screen. However, whether these are noticeable depends upon how close you sit to the set when watching. Hence don't buy a 36" model if you're room isn't big enough - if you only sit about 8ft or less away from the screen then a 32" should be more than sufficient.

26. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Reading the above messages,,,, I see that I need to know more abnout the 36ZP48,,, or the tubes therein !
    My question is simply,,,, am I right in assuming that PF1/2/3 refer to models of Tube for the Tosh set ? If so, are they a progressive upgrade by Tosh,,, & can one dictate which one they want when they purchase a set ?
    If they are progressive, I would assume that a new set (from a reputable retailer ??) would have the latest tube ???
    Are there any particular/technical differences between them ?
    thanks
    TranswesT

27. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I understand it PF1/2/3 refer to the styling of the TV more than the tube, although as they have been developed, I believe improvements to the tube have been made. PF2 was an improvement on PF1 and by all accounts PF3 is an improvement on PF2.

No, you can't dictate which tube you want in a particular model. For example, if you buy a ZP38 model you'll get a PF2 and if you buy a ZP48 model you'll get a PF3 - irrespective of which dealer you choose to buy from.

I'm not sure of the exact differences between the tubes, if any, but if you logon to toshiba.co.uk you can download the specs for all the different models including the new PF3 models. (However, they don't appear to have updated the pictureframe section as this still refers to PF2.)

If you've still got questions after downloading the specs try phoning Toshiba or post your questions here.

28. ventoboy1000

ventoboy1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am interested in this set after seeing it a local dealer and also reading a review from what video magazine which gave it full marks.
    The only thing that really concerns me is the tube having read other peoples problems with the PF2.(Tube Failure)
    On Toshiba's website it does list the spec for the ZP48.
    It also lists the spec for the ZP38.
    The tube description is slightly different fro both models.
    The ZP38 uses a "Microfilter" tube and when looking on the spec for the ZP48 it says "Invar Mask".
    Does that mean that its probably a different tube design for the ZP48 ???
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

29. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I understand it a Microfilter tube uses a Shadow Mask rather than an aperture grill to control the electron beam making sure it hits the correct phosphor dots on the screen. A shadow mask is more than often an Invar mask. This is basically an iron/nickel plate with holes punched in it.

However, whether Toshiba have used a different style of Shadow\Invar mask in the new ZP48 is anyone's guess. Perhaps the tubes are the same but they have just used a different description in their spec which they have been known to do on occasions with other models.

I know a couple of forum members have had problems with their tubes blowing on the PF2 but it doesn't seem that common a problem enough to dissuade people from buying a PF2. The PF3 should be either the same or better, certainly not worse but only time will tell - the ZP48 hasn't been around long enough yet.

30. Wilko

Wilko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got one on of these on Sunday (along with an RD-XS32).

After hearing all the reports about tube problems, I knew I was taking a risk. Everything seemed okay, no convergence or dark lines (that I've seen), but I have now noticed greenish areas in the bottom left and right hand corners of the screen. This is only really noticeable when the blue screen is on. Does anyone know if this a problem that will it go away by itself, or am I going to have to live with (it looks like it's interference from the front left and right speakers)?

Other than the above problem (which I hope isn't really going to be one - don't want to have to send it back, it's soooo heavy!), I agree with bboy-mass, the set is lovely - and so is the stand. Sound and picture are fantastic (especially with the DVD hooked up to the component input - I used bboy-mass' settings btw - thanks). Just have to work out how to use the DVD recorder (the manual is like war and peace!).

Roll on the 20th (Star Wars)!