1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP48 Problems - Help please?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nomad01, Dec 13, 2004.

1. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of my Toshiba at the weekend and on the whole, it is stunning.

However, there are two problems that are niggling me. I've searched the forums here and I can't see them addressed.

1)
    In every mode apart from progressive, there is a little flickering strip across the bottom of the screen. Is this the same on all 36ZP48s? I don't think it is as noticable if the TV is in the WIDE mode which brings me onto the second problem...

2)
    Scart control. The Sky+ box is connected via SCART to EXT1 on the TV. If I switch the TV on and then switch the Sky box on, it doesn't switch over to EXT1. Also, the screen mode doesn't switch between Super Live, Wide etc when you move from channel to channel (depending on the format of the broadcast).

Now if I unplug the scart cable and plug it back in again, all seems to work fine. However, as the DVD player is connected by the component connections, I have to manually switch to the EXT4 connection. From that point on, it won't switch over automatically again until I disconnect the scart cable and reconnect it. I've turned everything off and on again. I've checked the tv menu setting is set to auto.

Help!

Thanks very much.
    Steve

2. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, sort of answering part of my question. The auto formatting seems to have been fixed by changing the scart lead again. So that all seems fine.

However, I still have the flickering strip along the bottom of the TV and this morning I noticed that there seems to be a slight dark patch on the upper left and right sides of the screen. Maybe only on some colours. Didn't have time to test this morning.

Am I just being to critical?

3. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nomad01

When set to wide my P48 automatically switches between between wide and 4:3 even though the auto format is switched off in the menu. I don't understand, but it works OK so I won't worry.

I don't have any of the other issues but on the funny line it might just mean adjusting the horizontal position to move the bit off the screen.

Regards

builder

4. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm considering the Toshiba 32ZP48 for use primarily with Sky+. Can you tell me what the picture quality is like? I've read a few critical threads regarding Sky digital broadcasts on 100Hz t.v.'s

5. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... it's an acquired taste possibly. The TV does show up the poor standard of some Sky channels. On the whole though, I think they look fine (especially if you're not sitting on top of the TV!).

Although I have the 36 inch so that will show up more than the 32. Only sure way is to have a demo.

As far as DVD playback goes, the TV is jaw droppingly beautiful.

6. xodale

xodale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - on this subject...

I took delivery of my new 36zp48 [from JohnLewis @ £1200] last week but have been slightly disappointed with the picture quality through my sky box - it looks a bit grainy or pixellated - probably slightly worse than my old 29 inch Sony.

DVD through component input is much better

I've tried two different scarts

Any ideas - is it a problem with the strength of the signal?

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Welcome to the 100htz club!!!!!

8. xodale

xodale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really?

9. Tucker

Tucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Have you checked your Sky box to ensure that Scart Control is turned on?

Cheers,

Martin.

11. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, the engineer arrived today and confirmed the TV is faulty.

However, he says the dark patches at the top corners and in the top middle are going to be the same on all 36" TVs because of the size of the grill or whatever.

Anyone else with a Tosh noticed these dark areas?

Steve

12. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I have a 36" Sony which does not have any of the problems your engineer says happens on all 36" TV's.

I realise it's not a Tosh and therefore does not really answer your question, but the engineer did say all 36" TV's.

Cheers,

Martin.

13. MixerMan1

MixerMan1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 36ZP48 - I can not find any faults with the picture - picture is clear and sharp via the freeview box - DVD via the component connections is superb.

14. acabbie

acabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36ZP48 hooked up to SKY+ and the sd340e DVD player as well as a JVC video recorder. The picture when viewing a DVD is superb, i'm running the DVD player through the component sockets and the clarity is stunning, i've not tried a tape yet as i've only got it set up in the last few days but i have to say that the picture through the SKY+ is quite dissapointing, the picture seems quite grainy and almost pixellated at times. I have the SKY+ connected by a scart lead into the first scart socket and the SKY+ box setup to output RGB, i can only assume its a problem with the broadcast quality although i do seem to have a good signal strength..........

Any ideas ?

15. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For what it's worth my opinion is : Sky, whilst being a digital service, transmits all its channels using the lowest bit rates that it thinks it can get way with. It does this to pack in as many channels as it can within its alloted bandwidth. Whilst some of the channels are acceptable to the average viewer (and I imagine that would include some of the premium movie channels) some of the more 'esoteric' channels are of very poor quality. Even the Sky digital services of the mainstream terrestrial channels are usually of a 'modest' bit rate and the quality is questionable. For that reason I always recommend Freeview over Sky UNLESS you really want those additional channels - a personal decision. Freeview services are transmitted at a higher bit rate than Sky (for the main terrestrial channels) and it shows. You have bought a very high quality domestic receiver and whilst it will display good signals with stunning clarity it will also cruelly show up the flaws of a less than perfect input signal. As I say, just my opinion. Regards, yt.