1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP48 or PW6

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Vnb, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just about to order a Tosh 36zp48 but am niggled about the possiblity of spending £1000 on a crt when I should perhaps convince the missus a few hundred more may be in order for a plasma.

We mainly watch sky+ and some dvd's, and have a Pioneer DV99 and a Panasonic E60 dvd recorder. Picture quality is important and most plasmas I've seen do not seem capable of displaying a picture as well as a crt. Does the Panasonic ?

What should I do ?

2. mad mick

mad mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi VNB,

Ive been in the same position for the last two weeks and after much research
    plus lots of reading and visting various shops, I came to the conclusion that
    plasma and rptv's are not quite there yet, so ive gone for the 36zp48, which
    infact should be arriving this morning (thursday).

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Crt televisions hold the edge over plasma but and its a big but.Most Crts do not have digital connections for picture.The future for dvd and sky is high definition via hdmi.In the coming years scart will become obselete even component will go making way for this new kind of connection.So the question for you is ,how long do you intend to keep your next display device?.It wont be long before plasma and lcd screens catch up with crt and prices will drop further.

4. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi MadMick
    Please post how you've got on and what your initial thoughts are with this if it does arrive today.

thanks, vnb

5. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi Spoktra,

Most plasma and lcd screens I've seen aren't future proof either. Towards the cheaper end of the market <£1500 you are lucky to get a couple of scarts. My current 32" Philips is now 4 years old so I probably want my new set to last about the same.

Am I better spending £1000 now on the dogs bits of a crt and then when they've sorted HDTV, resolution, Sky etc etc buy something else in a couple of years ?

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Having myself spent a good bit of shilling recently on a tosh 32zp48,i am a bit gutted that certain connectivity options are not possible.However the tosh is a superb set and dvd playback is fantastic and i only have a £80.00 340e dvd player,hooked up via component cables.

7. mad mick

mad mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi VNB,

Initial thoughts are, WOW!, awesome picture and sound. TV was very easy
    to setup providing you read the manual properly and not just skim through it.

My biggest problem was getting the RDXS32 DVD/HDD recorder setup, now that
    is one complicated beast, only problem I seem to have with that is getting it to
    auto switch to ext4 when a dvd is inserted, not sure if it can, but im sure ive
    read something on here about it, so will go searching.

Oh by the way, it never arrived yesterday, well it did, but I had to go and
    collect it myself!!.