1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP48 Dirty Screen

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Vnb, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi Folks,
    JL delivered my Tosh last Tuesday. I've set it up, and played for a while and have to say thanks to all the posts here I have bought a stunning piece of kit. I am very happy with the PQ, escpecially from dvd. Sky+ and football are ok when you've played with the settings.

However, there does appear to be a 'dirty screen' issue. In the corners there appears a very faint shadow as if there is muck on the outside glass. It is hardly noticeable except for on the blue screen and programs which display solid colour backgrounds. White backgrounds can seem a bit grey in the corners. There are no other problems and geometry is good (not perfect though).Is this normal ? Am I expecting too much ? Wife hadn't noticed it at all until I pointed it out.

As it's less than 7 days since I received the set should I reject it and ask for a replacement of ask for an engineer ? Is it service menu fixable ? Any other advice?

Thanks.

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well,

I would say that if it's not too bad then I would try and live with it. Basically a lot of 32" and above CRT widescreen sets do tend to suffer to varying degrees with this issue, some makes/brands handling it better than others. It was so bad for me on a Panasonic that I got rid of it (it was brand new from Curry's, so fought with them to get my money back) and got a Sony 32" CRT. This displays a tad and I mean a "tad" of dirty screen issue but it is barely noticeable and having been told by several engineers that this is quite common (for some reason) in 32" widescreen CRT, I am not bothered by it.

As I say, if its not driving you up the wall then I would leave it - it is unlikely to change or get any worse - just depends if you notice it at all and if, like me, you are a tad picky !!!!

Paul

3. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks Paul,I am not sure how bad is it without a point of reference but will investigate further. I've found some info at http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/tvtools.htm that seems worth a read. I know it is for a 36zp38 and not my 48 but it does explain a bit more about how these are set up.

4. Sgt Steiner

Sgt Steiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Does anyone know if such 'dirty screen' issues can be fixed via the Service Menus ?

I only noticed a very faint 'dirty' vertical bar on left screen on my new 36ZP46 after reading this thread :oops:

Am tad wary of mucking about with the TV settings just wondered if it is do-able ?

Cheers