1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP48 component vs RGB

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SofaSpud, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read plenty of very informative posts on here from very satisfied people using component inputs when viewing DVD.

So I bought some Thor component cables and the results, although good, are no better than my IXOS RGB scart.

Is this to be expected?

Naturally, I'm viewing RGB through EXT1 and using EXT4 for component - is there anything else I could do to be amazed by the clarity of component compared to RGB?

Thanks in advance. :smashin:

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Are you feeding the component sockets a progressive or standard interlace signal? if it's the latter then there won't be much of a difference really.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The Tosh TV isnt particularly noted as excelling with component.

The Panny PD30/50 are both well known for heavily favouring these type of input over RGB but still the difference isnt MASIVE though definately noticable.

In my opinion the Tosh is possibly a slightly better "all rounder" but for DVD (read prog scan component) the Panny wins hands down

4. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Standard interlaced from the Sky box through the Panny E55 and into EXT4 with Tosh on progressive.

The E55 manual says not to output a component signal, still, I'll have a play tonight.

Thanks for the quick replies.

:smashin:

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    From what i understand of the scan modes on the Toshiba Tv's(i'm on my second) the 'Progressive' scan mode, as apposed to Active & natural, does not give you a progressive scan picture, the manual touches on this but is very vague. I believe this to be correct as when you feed the Tosh a prgressive signal the options for what scan mode you can select disapear from the menu.

6. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I put on a LOTR DVD and, yep, looks fine in RGB on EXT1.

Switched the DVD recorder to output video with component (tried svideo with component too) and switched on progressive. Selected EXT4 on the Tosh and it's flickerville. Maybe, maybe, not sure, it's a very close call as to whether the definition was better than RGB, but the flicker kills the watchability.

Is it my eyes?
    Am I doing things right?
    Is there anything else I can do to make the definition (I'm non TV techy - can you tell?) slightly better. The sky menu's in particular look as if in soft focus.

Maybe it's just how it is going from a 28" to this 36" beast!

Cheers.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I suppose its dependant on the DVD player. I find the component output from my Toshiba SD-9500 into this TVs component inputs truly stunning. That’s comparing it against the S-Video of the player which is also as good as RGB on my Pioneer 717. Which Ive tried into the RGB input. Component wise is another league TBH IMHO.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Sound like your having real problems. I have sky+ connected via a Monster scart lead to EXT1 with RGB set to on in the sky setup menu and the picture is very very crisp especially on sky news and sky sports news, it is anything but soft. and for dvd i have a Toshiba dvd520 connected via Supra Av3 component cables and the picture(with R1)disc is very very shap with no flicker. so i really would of thought that you should get the same results with you sky box and E55.

9. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'll be shopping for some new cables then.

TBH, the IXOS I bought is one of those flat ones and it was only a tenner in the sale bucket at Dixons! :rolleyes:

I have a V1 sky+ box, is yours a V2? I've heard they have different picture characteristics.

I'll go and scour the www for decent leads.

Cheers (again!).

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    mine is a V2 sky+ box. QED do a good range of scart leads, the SQUART being a well reviewed one. Check the classifieds on this forum as sometimes they come up for sale there.