Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

36ZP48 Buzzing/Humming Noise?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by L00py^, Jan 22, 2005.

1. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I mute the volume on the TV, I can hear a loudish humming noise even from 3-4 metres away. What could be the possible causes of this please?

2. Soapysoap

Soapysoap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience (from TV manufacture not repair ) The buzzing could either be from:
    a) a loose lamination in a transformer.
    b) Incorrectly assembled scan coil (no wax over copper wire)

The again I could be totally wrong. The TV repair guys will see something like this every week and hopefully a better informed answer will come from one of them
    Soapy

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you change from 100htz to progressive scanning does the noise/pitch change?. If so it is the processor.Only you can decide if that warrants exchanging the set.

4. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope seems the same level whichever picture mode I use. If I put my ear to the TV, its seems to be generated at the back/right hand side of the TV. The right hand side if still viewing the TV screen or left if standing behind it.

The picture quality is great, so would prefer to keep the set. I have an engineer coming to hopefully fix a slight geometry problem next Monday, should I ask his advice then spoctra?

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes it wont hurt asking but the engineer hasnt got to live with the set.Almost certainly he will say its within manufacturers tolerances.So basically its down to you and if you can put up with this.I returned a panny pd30 for the same problem.

6. Spanpody

Spanpody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the geometry problem ? Did you contact Toshiba directly or go through your retailer ?

I have a slight issue with mine but not sure if it warrants a visit by an engineer.

7. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I contacted JL, but went and sent an installation engineer out, so JL are having to contact Toshiba, so a service engineer can come out.

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dont be fobbed off.By the sale and returns act,you are perfectly entitled to return the product if at all not happy.The engineer will always say "its within the manufacturers specs".This is to save the retailer/manucturer a few bob.

9. PeaJay

PeaJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My Toshiba ZT29 does this.
    I'm living with it normally.
    It sometimes annoys me though

However, as this is the third set i've had due to this buzz I'm beginning to think this is a "feature".

As the TV is absolutly fantastic otherwise. It ticks all the boxes that I was after in a TV: Dolby Digital, IDTV, fantastic picture and sound (baring the buzz)

Is this fixable?
    is it worthwhile getting an "engineer" out, or just living with it? :rolleyes:

10. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the sound is a very high pitched whine then it could the same as I had with my Philips WS. My local TV shop changed a coil from one that had the windings covered with what looked like insulating tape to one with open windings. He then covered the windings with a sort of resin. This has completely cured the problem and cost aroung £40 to diagnose and fix. He said that the problem was caused by the windings vibrating when the picture is streched to fill the screen on a WS TV. He also said that it was quite common due to cheap components used in order to keep the price of TV's down and was usually curable by soaking the existing windings, if accessible or replacing the coil if not. Hope this makes sense to the TV engineers amongst you!!