36zp46 480p and the Wii

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Chris F, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Chris F

Chris F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm having a LOT of trouble with this, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I'm using the above tv (Toshiba 36zp46) and have connected the Wii to it via component video cable. This outputs on EXT4, and, having changed the settings on the Wii to 480p, should be outputting in that resolution. Unfortunately, it really doesn't appear to be! Having a bash at Zelda which is supposed to be show the most marked difference and I honestly can't see anything between the three res formats.

The confusing thing is that when I was using the normal cable, the Wii didn't let me select the 480p resolution, so it clearly knows that it's plugged into a component video connection by letting me select it. Secondly, when the Wii is off I can choose a scanning option on EXT4, but when the Wii is on, I can't. This paragraph seemed to shed some light on it, but I don't really know what it means!

"Note: If you are using component video and you have
    a 525P (Progressive) input (NTSC) on EXT 4, certain
    functions will not work eg. Still Picture, 14:9 and 4:3
    viewing formats. The Colour option in Set Up and the
    Scan mode and DNR in the Picture menu will not
    be present."

True to form, the different aspect ratio options aren't available. I don't know what the significance of NTSC is though, other than that it appears to be a standard used by America and Japan (I live in England).

If anyone could help that would be great!

Cheers, Chris

2. a27

a27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm also interested in this as I intend to buy a Toshiba 36ZP48 and a Wii.