1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36zp18q or philips 9607

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by normski, Jul 20, 2002.

1. normski

normski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    havivg had a few of these tosh sets i would like to know if any of you have traded in your tosh for the philips and what your thoughts are compared to the tosh is the philips free of the lighter sides etc

thanks normski

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the new Toshiba ZD26P as well ^_^ It'll be out at the end of the month so be sure to check it out...

3. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Tosh 32ZP18P and Q and swapped it for a Loewe Vitros because of the contrast hum from the speakers and brightness flicker on some scenes. The Loewe Vitros uses the Philips tube and I believe the electronics are based around the Philips stuff as well.

Anyway, yes the Tosh tube had its problems (lighter sides, vertical bars part way in - I notified neither during normal conditions) but the Philips is not perfect - this seems to have a mesh effect at the L+R sides of the screen which is visible under normal conditions (more so than the Tosh brighter sides IMHO). I'm surprised no one else has pointed this out before. I also get Moire on NTSC material.

Never had a true Philips TV so I don't know what they are like in this respect, but I believe the 2 problems mentioned above are tube related and hence would expect all Philips to suffer (IF you can actually get a Philips TV with a Philips tube in it of course!!!).

Incidentally, I also found the Tosh dirty screen annoying and thought this was down to the tube again. However the Loewe also has this (more blocky whereas Tosh was more grainy) and so I now believe this is down to the processing.

I must say the pciture of the Loewe can look terrific but it can also look dreadful (same settings but different scene). When it looks bad it is either blurry or looks over-processed. This was why I never went for the 32pw9617 - a) couldn't get a decent demo in the shop and the picture looked dreadful and b) didn't trust all that processing (halos etc - which I see sometimes on the Loewe!).

Anyway I'm considering taking the Loewe back!

4. normski

normski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info but the new tosh tvs are just to big

5. normski

normski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interresting to hear about the mesh effect i did look at the philips in jl a couple of weeks ago but did not notice the mesh effect at the sides but that does not mean it is not there the fact is that it is not until you go get the set home and start watching programes then you start to notice bad things in the picture when you have had a decent telly in the past these things stick out like a saw thumb

any one else care to coment on the philips re this mesh effect
    thanks normski

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to note about the Tosh ZP18P/Q is that is has Dynamic Contrast.. Which screws up the image big time. The only way to get rid of it is to use the "Picture Mode 3" and then edit the contrast/brightness, etc. Once you have done that though the image is superb. I've heard an awfil lot about the humming and that and I haven't had a problem with it so far. I did however had the dirty screen but now I can't notice it... Which could be dependant on two facters - Me getting used to it or it going away.

I was going to swap the Toshiba for a Loewe TV as well until I read about the new Toshiba. NTSC prog.scan is a welcome addition for me since my Gamecube can use it, as well as the DVD player and (soon to be) Xbox.

Normski, sorry to hear that the Tosh TVs are too big but the 32" and 36" models are not that much larger than its rivals, if at all. You can of course get rid of that stand and use your own.