1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36zp18p bass level

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nbridger, Dec 30, 2002.

1. nbridger

nbridger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions for improving the bass repsonse of my Tosh 36zp18p? I've got the so called "super woofer" on full and the bass settings to +50, but bass is still pretty low. (I'm using the standard crappy speakers that came with it, not sure if changing them will help?)

Thanks

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Changing them will improve performance but you may be happy enough if you buy a cheap active subwoofer from Richer Sounds or similar.
    Maybe look at Eltax and Paradigm.
    If you don't mind paying more investigate the Mission Cinema speaker / sub packages. Your tv will feed these well until the time comes to upgrade to a new AV amplifier.

3. nbridger

nbridger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only prob I have with that, is that the tv doesnt have a separate sub output... I only have 5 spk outs :(

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    #

Crikey!!, If I was brave enough to turn my super woofer above about 30% the bass thumping would have the neighbours banging on the walls. Are you sure it is actually working? Mayby you have blown the speaker by running at full for too long.

I have been perfectly happy with the sound from my "crappy" speakers since buying the set 18 months ago and see no need to spemd good money replacing them with something bigger and uglier!

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can use a two phono to single phono interconnect to feed a subwoofer from your fixed level output on tv rear panel, make sure the active sub you choose has level and variable crossover frequency controls.

6. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nbridger
    As per Kens post are you sure it is working correctly, i cant see why you can't notice the bass at that setting.

Nonetheless I would strongly consider saving up and buying a seperate amp and speakers. You will be amazined at the difference. You are really loosing out with those tosh speakers, I couldn't believe the difference it made to my 36zp18.

7. nbridger

nbridger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a Pioneer AV amp + a set of bose speakers that i used before I had the tosh. I waned to stay with the Tosh for convienience - i only need one remote control etc... Im not saying the Super Woofer isnt noticeable, its just not as good as a _real_ sub woofer. If only the slider went past 100. As I have two young kids I have to keep the volume quite low (<30), so maybe I just need a 'midnight' mode or something, just to life bass at lower volumes.

8. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's true that if you run the sound at low levels, the bass response will be weak - it needs to be turned up a bit to start singing.

A separate sub woofer would be better as you can increase its output without turning up the rest of the set up.

I have the Eltax from Richer Sounds in my back room and even at low levels, you can FEEL it rather than hear it - and that's what you want.

For example in a part of Bill Oddie's Birding programme, there was a very gentle rumble in the room and it was a train in the background of an otherwise very quiet bird song sequence, which would never be experienced in a normal TV set up.

And you don't need a dedicated sub out socket to work it...

9. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had this set and remember the sub being quite strong. There must be something wrong with the set. If you want more bass another thing is to move the TV closer to a wall or into a corner. This would give a boost to the bass end.

10. nbridger

nbridger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jim.rae

do you use the Eltax with a 36zp18p? I wasnt sure if the LFE signal was present in the line out signals - I assumed it was just FL and FR?

I'll have a look at Richer Sounds.

Thanks

11. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim

Which Eltax do you have?

I need one of these now.

Like nbriger, I've got young kids so it's hard to have the sound up high but I'm sure a 'proper' sub would make a big difference. I didn't realise you could add one to this set without having to get a seperate amp etc.

Cheers
    OG

12. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been and bought an Eltax Sub 6 from Richer Sounds for £99.95 - good compromise between size, cost, quality etc.

If you own this tele and have a spare hundred quid buy a sub for it - it is worth every penny. Just played Jurmanji for the stampead and also the Dolby Dig Train which now comes alive.

Thanks for posting gringotts and Jim.

Cheers
    OG

13. nbridger

nbridger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that settles it then!

Thanks Im off to Richer Sounds... well next year anyway!

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Pleased you are happy :)

15. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need an LFE signal for the sub to work - it simply takes the bass output that smaller speakers can't handle from both stereo channels and reproduces it in deep mono!

On the Eltax you can trim the frequencies at which it kicks in - (mine is the Symphony model) - from 50 to 250Hz and you can also do a phase change.

It's absolutely fine for the money as long as it's near the centre front of the sound stage.

You can't tell it's in mono as the smaller speakers are still doing their bit in stereo - just like a cinema.

What's important is that the sub should not overwhelm the main system - go for subtle effects rather than just rattling the windows!

I also find it helpful to minimise the bass from the left and right speakers as if they are putting out bass too, you can get unpleasant standing waves which make the system sound a bit "honky".

The only downside is the manal which is a very dodgy translation from Danish...