1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP18 or rear projector & are grey imports ok

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MelS, Mar 19, 2002.

1. MelS

MelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Toshiba 36ZP18

(I had also considered the Sony 36FS70, but I've been advised that digital terrestrial reception is unreliable around here)

Should I avoid grey imports (even if they are considerably cheaper), are they modified to work in the uk & are there any differences or other disadvantages?

I'm also wondering if I should be considering a larger rear projection TV - are there any disadvantages with RP compared to standard CRTs eg life expectancy (The set is likely to be heavily used) ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Mel.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba 36ZP18P comes in a couple of flavours. The 36ZP18P (B) and 36ZP18P (G). The B is the british version. The G is the european version. Most people when purchasing one don't know what version they are going to get and in this case there are so few differences, i wouldn't worry about it.

The 36ZP18P has just been replaced with the 36ZP18Q which also has the B and G versions.

3. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubledoom as the Toshiba expert can I ask you a question?
    ;) ;)
    I see in a previous thread you say that you would buy the new 36ZP18Q in preference to the 36ZP18P which I have, apart from it being obviously a newer model I did not think that it has any improvements over the original model?
    I thought it still use's the same chassis and CRT as the old model.
    Paul
    :eek: :eek:

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i actually said was i would buy the 36zp18Q instead of the 32zp18P i have now. Note the size difference.

The diferences between the P and the Q are small but if i was buying one now, i would want the latest version and that is the Q.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It should be the same.

I have had my RP Tv since Dec and would never go back to a CRT.
    I can think of no disadvantages at all when compared to my previous Sony 32" WS

6. MelS

MelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doubledoom & Kevo for your advice.

Been talking to a recently retired tv engineer -

He reckons I should avoid rear projection sets like the plague,

He said that they are ok for a couple of years, then the picture gets weak & out of focus & that they are a nightmare when they go wrong.

He didn't think much of Toshibas & said Sony were good but way overpriced & advised buying a 36" Philips.

(I've always rated Sony & also Toshiba much higher than Philips)

So does he know what he's talking about, or is he talking out of his rear projection?

I was seriously tempted to go for the rear projection after looking at one today too - now I don't know :confused:

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ask another TV engineer and he will probably say the opposite.

It's your call.

8. MelS

MelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps.
    It wouldn't surprise me - but I'd be rather :mad: :eek: :( :eek: if he turned out to be right