1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36ZP18 and AV Pass-through

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by balders, Nov 14, 2001.

1. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Last night, I noticed an issue with my Tosh 36ZP18B that I don't think anyone has commented on before. In summary, the AV pass-through feature doesn't seem to work when the TV is switched off.

I have my Sky box attached to EXT1, my video to EXT2, and the EXT2 output set to EXT1. Hence, the Sky signal is relayed through the TV to the video without having a dedicated cable between the two boxes. Nice feature, I thought, saves on cabling.

However, after several recordings from Sky ended up as an hour's worth of blue screen, I found that the pass-through only works when the TV is actually switched on. As soon as you switch the TV off, the video loses it's Sky signal. Switch the TV on again, and the Sky picture appears on the recording again.

Now, in my mind, the pass-through should work whether the TV is on or off. Am I wrong? Is there something else that I need to set up? Do any of you have the same problem?

It's not a huge problem as I can always add a scart cable between Sky and the video, but it's made me curious.

Nigel.

2. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Call Toshiba Tec 0800 281126 they can help but if they can't,they will tell you how great this set is...........;)

our greatest selling TV ever.......... We have no Known Problems..

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV passthrough will only work when the set is on. Standby is not good enough.

It's been this way on Toshibas for some time.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have sky box to RGB, two videos by scarts to remaining and dvd to component input.
    To get over the situation you describe I also have a scart lead from the input scart on the skybox to the input scart on the better video. You can then record directly from the digibox on the L2 video input. I find this gives the best quality recordings and play from all the equipment. The only thing looped through is the aerial which doesn't go through the skybox.

I too was surprised to note that the pass through wouldn't work with the set off as that is the time most likely to need it.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the method you quote, kenfowler3966, is the standard method which the majority of people will use.

However, the AV2 input/output scart recording AV1 (in my case, skydigital) gives me a better quality recording than the VCR scart on the digibox to the VCR.

Also, the av blocking when in standby would be an inconvenience to those who connect their DVD player to the VCR scart on the digibox to get RGB on both. They could then connect the VCR to scart 2 on the tv and record the digibox output from there. As it stands, they can only do this when the tv is on.