1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36zd26P bendy picture

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fdpxfunix, Jul 1, 2003.

1. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Had the 36zd26P since Jan this year. Quite happy with it's performance apart from the dark patches that are sometimes visible on very bright backgrounds on the left and right of the screen.

Anyway .... over the last few months a bend has started to appear on the left and right of the screen.

This is noticable in all picture modes. Even 4:3 mode shows the black area on the left and right to be 'bowed'. The fault is best seen on fast pans watching football, or door frames that move slow across the screen.

I've also found that teletext is now 'bowing' on the left and right !

Got an engineer coming soon, but what's the proper term for this fault .... if it's a fault that is. I really don't want hear those words "this is within manufactures specifications"

Ta

J.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like bad geometry. If you have a PC with S-Video output try using this to see how bad geometry is (you want straight vertical & horizontal lines)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82623&highlight=convergence

My brothers Tosh 28" CRT also has terrible geometry, can't be fixed- slanting about 1" to the right on the top of the screen. Horrible to watch.

Or use Avia DVD. This has lots of test screens.

I have a Tosh (42" RP), thank god you can sort out any geometry faults with these.

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sounds like a geometry problem but i am surprised though that it has gradually become worse over time. Are you sure that it was never there at the time of purchase?
    If it is geometry then it can be sorted by yourself from the tv service menu.

The following thread describes how to access the service menu and what some of the menu settings do. You would be interested in the PARA setting - this allows adjustment of the vertical bowing you describe. CPAR may also be helpful.
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46417

Be very careful of playing around in the service menu. Make a note of any setting values you are going to change, BEFORE you alter them. As long as you do this you can reset them if you mess up.

Also have a look here to get some further background info -->
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56939

Remember, if in doubt just wait for the engineer to do it.

4. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kwangomango

I think the bow has been there for some time, but it's only now starting to annoy me. (Doors on Eastenders Monday night looked like they belong in a 'hall of mirrors' ride at a Fun Fair!)

I'll have a look at the service menu, but as the TV is still under warrant I don't want to upset the dealer.

Thanks for the replies.

J.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried display that grid onto the TV? (have you got the equipment to do it ? PC with composite or S-Video out)

At least when the engineer comes round you've got something you can show how bad it is.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting you say that, I've often maintained that soaps are a great way to test geometry in a 'real life' (rather than test pattern) manner as they constantly use shots of people standing in doorways that often show horizontal and vertical lines at full screen length.

I try and watch Eastenders after amending geom. settings, the parts shot in the Queen Vic's upstairs area tend to be particularly useful for some reason. The bits in the Trueman's B&B are also very effective.

7. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy

The "Trueman's B&B" is what tipped the scales for me! The lovely red paintwork of the door frames are crackers to show up bad geometry.

I'm glad a couple of people (and quite a few other threads) have said it's pretty much fixable via the service menu.

nathan_silly

I've got a DELL Latitude CPx laptop with a S-Video output port ... or at least that's what I think it is, but I don't know where the cable is. Just moved house ... so it could be anywhere!

J.