• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

36v motorised dish with current digital receivers.

aris

Established Member
I have a motorised dish which I have not used in some years - it used to be run of a Pace 508-IP using a 36v jack style positioner. I'm thinking of maybe going digital - but note that all the current positioners use Disqeq which is not compaitble.

What are my options? I see there are 36v to disqeq converters for about 50 quid - is there any other option?

Thanks,

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Might be an idea to confirm your system still works.

I'd left my dish on one position for a couple of years and, when I eventually tried to move it, found the actuator jack had seized up.

Just a thought...

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
You can use the old Pace box to move your dish, setting up at least 1 station (or dummy station) on each satellite position using a spare output from a dual or quad LNB.
As advised above, you need to ensure that the actuator still works first.

ChorleyMatt

Established Member
The "convertor" is probably your best (if not only) option. Cost should be around £40ish - Google "VBox 36v positioner" for some buying options. Might be worth testing the motor too before splashing out on a new positioner.

aris

Established Member
Yeah, good point, though my 508IP is knackered. I can probably get it fixed, but that may well be more money down the drain. Still, it will allow me to receive analogue signals - are there any still up there? It has been a while since i've been into the sat scene (anyone want a D2mac box?) :)

If my actuator is knackered, I see that one can get an H2H Disqeq mount. I had a Jaeger H2H mount before my current jack, and it was not very reliable at all. I suspect because there is too much strain/weight on that motorised gearbox.

Are there other alternatives here, or is a 36v jack plus a vbox the best way forward even if I had to replace the actuator? Presumably they still sell these 36v jacks for a reason! :)

ChorleyMatt

Established Member
As you state above, the use of a DiSEqC motor would be dependant upon the size (and weight) of your dish. I'm using one on a 1mtr dish but did initially have some issues. The first motor used wasn't up to the job and my installer wasn't happy, so he swapped it out for a TM model which has been faultless thus far.

Therefore, check out your dish, and if you can go the DiSEqC motor route I would recommend using a Technomate one to help avoid potential problems further down the line.

aris

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. If my 36v actuator works, i'll stick with that, otherwise i'll look at the technomate H-H mount. I've been reading up and some say that if it is above the roofline or subject to alot of wind, then a jack might be better - which is possibly why my installer replaced my old H-H with this. Though it is not above the roofline, it is pretty high up, and when the wind blows, it wobbles a fair bit :)

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
The jack system is far stronger than the H-H mount because it connects to the dish some way from the fulchrum and so has leverage on its side! :lesson:

aris

Established Member
Indeed! One has to wonder why the 36v system has been removed from the current crop of digital receivers. Even the top end DM8000 doesn't have it.

It is not just the expense of the Vbox - but also a PITA to have YET another box taking up valuable space, using YET another power plug, and YET another remote. My wife thinks we have too many gizmos and remotes as it is! :)

ChorleyMatt

Established Member
I've been reading up and some say that if it is above the roofline or subject to alot of wind, then a jack might be better

You're probably right - I think that was the reason for the demise of the first motor. Pole mounted at the rear of the property and exposed to everything the best of British weather could throw at it! It was relocated to the front, a little lower and a little less exposed, but eventually had to be replaced with the TM as it couldn't lock on when driving from the West.

Indeed! One has to wonder why the 36v system has been removed from the current crop of digital receivers.

Money! I'm sure leaving it off is another way of knocking a few pennies off the manufacturing cost.

It is not just the expense of the Vbox - but also a PITA to have YET another box taking up valuable space, using YET another power plug, and YET another remote. My wife thinks we have too many gizmos and remotes as it is! :)

Snap! We had 3 x 2 gang sockets installed in that section of the room when it was re-done to accomodate the AV gear - we've already run out and have filled one 4 gang extension. I'm managing to trim those remotes though, I'm down to four...

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
My wife thinks we have too many gizmos and remotes as it is! :)

The trick is to get your better half to appreciate having you around to operate said gizmos and remotes! :lesson:

My home cinema is so complex that Mrs TG wouldn't know where to start. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom