1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36PW9607 - Have I been diddled?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nobby0_15, Apr 22, 2003.

1. nobby0_15

nobby0_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Discovered AV Forums yesterday..... Makes very interesting reading.

Now I researched 36" models last week and was swayed to the Philips 36PW9607. Mainly because of the reviews. (Yes I believe everything I read).

Got what I thought was a reasonable deal from Comet.

TV with Stand
    5 Yr Extended
    DVD740VCR
    Monster Gold Scart Lead

all in for £1899

Set it up, sat back and the doubts started to creep in.

Firstly those mid screen markers on the side black edge stuck out like tits on a bull. Reading some of the messages here it appears that this is a sign of a Panasonic Quintix CRT being used by Phillips. Not happy about that for one. If I wanted Panasonic I would have bought one.

Secondly and this is probably my fault, I took the advice of the sales bloke and opted for the DVD740VCR Combo in order to be able to Play or archive VCR to DVD. I was also interested in the "Easylink" feature on the 36PW9607 that would allow me to mainly use just the one remote. Well found out the DVD740 does not support "Easylink" so have to use both remotes. Three If I inclde the "Crappy" Telewest/Eurobell analogue remote. (Cant get Planning Permission for Sky Dish).

Thirdly taking what I presume is a 16:9 feed from Sky News or BBC24 the top and bottom of actual transmission is truncated. I am presuming (and again from reading some messages here) that this may have something more to do with the Telewest/Eurobell setup. But it still irks me on a nearly 2K set.

So ....... wise ones........ can I ask your advice and opinions before I set my mind to changing over to Sony:

1. What is the real relevence of the Panasonic CRT being used by Philips. Are they really inferior to Philips CRTs?

2. I think I need to buy a DVD and VCR as seperate units. I'd like to stay with Philips assuming I keep the TV. Also would probably like a read/write DVD. Any suggestions as to Philips range?

3. Any advice on using Telewest/Eurobell analogue with the setup I described.

4. Any advice or comments on the best quality Scart leads?

I tingle with antisipation to your replies!

2. kevster

kevster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I can help you with some, but not all of your queries.

Firstly I recommend you do a forum search on the board for the Panasonic vs. Phiips tube issue. I have recently purchased a Philips 32PW8807 and am not sure what tube it has but am pretty happy with the picture and have experienced no black bars.
    I seem to remember reading the 36" was a Panasonic tube.

On the subject of Scart I have read that the Philex Thor Scart at about £30 is a winner - anyone have practical experience of this lead?

I too have truncated Sky news when my TV automatically formats it. I think this is something to do with the 'intelligence' of the auto programme and usually put up with it or select widescreen or super zoom mode manually.

I am planning to get the Philips DVD 880 recorder/player to go with my TV. There is also a 890 version with slightly more features and 6 hour recording mode in 'low' quality. Others swear by the Panasonic E20/E30? recorder.

Its funny, since getting my new TV a month ago and reading this forum its incredible how many people have some gripe or other with very expensive kit. I can't believe Philips put only 1 RGB enabled SCART on my TV. The S-Video one can be used for my video but the third composite one is redundant. And the manual tells the user very little about optimum setup.

3. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Correct.

:lesson:

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I worked for Comet for AGES. In the end I just left because of our different views on both necessary sales tactics and the need for "accessories" with sales etc etc.

Plus the sales staff were lying to customers when telling them stuff. And I have SOME morals (if not many).

Failing that my store manager bought a 36PW9607 from his own store so if you've been duped then so has he.

Burn that Monster Scart cable, replace it with a Philex Thor (£30).

Trust internet shopping in the future - huge discounts available. Philips DVDR880 is available for £299 thesedays, and works very well indeed, I'd recommend it unreservedly.

And which Comet store did you buy your Television from (just curious)!

5. nobby0_15

nobby0_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Store was located near Gatwick Airport. To be fair to their slaes guys I think they acted out of ignorance more than anything else.
    My fault perhaps for not thinking out my entire criteria and making that clear. Though I suspect that would not have altered what was offered to me.

In respect to the TV I dont think they duped me more Philips may have been er... "economical with reality" if they think a Panasonic CRT in thier electronics constitutes a Phillips TV. They even say in their Colour Tube Cover Plan leflet (Philips document), supplied with the TV that states...

"Philips colour tubes are fitted by almost all leading television set manufacturers and are off the highest quality possible. As colour tubes are the most expensive TV set component....................."

Guess "almost" means all others but Philips. As the CRT is the pivitol element in a TV I think its a bit rich claiming it to be a true Philips product. More an OEM I think and therfore should be reflected in price.

Still cannot find any comment on the difference between Panasonic Qunitix and the Philips CRT. Aside from the two annoying "middle markers" down the vertical side bars I also notice a distinct bend of vertical edges when in 4:3 mode. Perhaps that is one downside of the Panasonic CRT also.

Thanks for info on Scart. I will be trying that one soon.

I am definetly taking the DVD740 back and looking at the 890.

6. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I don't think its actually that uncommon for manufactuers to use of the shelf componenets from outher suppliers.

7. nobby0_15

nobby0_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zantarous

Yes your correct, it is not that uncommon. My Compaq PC is full of components from Samsung, Zenith, Intel, Sony etc. BMW engines in Rover cars etc as another example.

However in respect to TV's the CRT is a such a critical and fundemential element of the entire product. Aside from the functional features a particuliar TV provides the CRT and its capabilities is I would suggest, the main criteria people use to make their selection of unit purchased. The reputation of any manufacturer is based on many points but none more so than the marketing propaganda or otherwise of the advantages of a particuliar technology or manufacturing expertise.

Philips use and promotion of the virues of Cybertube over other manufactureres CRT expertise, including the Panasonic Quintrix is certainly one aspect I considered when making a purchase.

Its clear to me in reading this and other forums that two things are apparent.

1. Many buyers of the 9607 or 9617 are not happy that a Panasonic tube is used v the Philips Cybertube.

2. There appears to be an obvious and accepted difference in performance and functionality between the two products. ie: "middle markers" , Vertical Edge bend etc.

What I am unsure about is if the differences between Cybertube v Quintrix is really that evident and if any substantial difference in picture "Clarity" occurs.

Philips are not generally forthcoming in commenting and I've seen little comment as to precise "quality" or "clarity" differences.

Maybe this is all just a red herring and Philips use of Quintrix CRT's is innocent and still provides what is becoming accepted as one of, if not the best 36" Widescreen TV products on the market.

I'm still not totally convinced and am off to my Currys, Dixons etc to look at Cybertube v Quintrix in more detail.