1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36NX200 query

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ScottyToo, Jan 1, 2003.

1. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am about to buy a Sony 36NX200 (unless you convince me otherwise!!)

Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't buy this particular model?

Also can anyone who has one of these tell me if you can fit two standard hifi units side by side in the stand? Could you tell me the dimensions between the ground/shelves and the width?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. The best prices I have so far are (although I am still working on this):
    £1824.99
    £1884.99 with a 3 Year warranty
    £1934.99 with a 5 Year warranty

2. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I personally didnt like this tv that much. The picture wasnt as good as I had hoped for the price (£2000 in Sony Centre). It has some nice features but unless you use the PCMCIA and Magic Stick slots i would stick with a lower model as they are too expensive and you are paying for the features you wont use (well you might use, like i said personally i wouldnt use them so went for a cheaper model).

I have a 32" Sony and I cant (by about 4") fit 2 units on 1 shelf. I would ask instore if someone can try :)

3. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Measuring the shelf widths is a bit tricky since they are angled inwards (think of a triangle). The height from bottom shelf to top is about 18.5cm. Height from top shelf to tv is 10cm. I ended up changing my DVD player and Amp for a Dennon integrated model. This fits nicely into the top shelf. My VCR easily fits into the bottom shelf.

I've had the tv for 4 weeks now. I've had one strange problem occur twice where the on/off led indicator has flashed repeatedly. However, the tv has continued to work correctly (in cvr/dvd/iDTV/analogue modes). Sony are arranging for an engineer to call just in case. As soon as I switched tv off and on using the main power button on the tv everything was fine.

In terms of style this tv looks miles better than the 36FS76. In terms of picture quality I found it to be superb for all sources (although I know some people haven't been too impressed by the analogue receiver). I wouldn't change it for any other model.

Martin Imber will confirm that Sony IDTV's give a very good picture.

Let me know if you need any specific info.

4. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying this TV too - I can't decide between this and the fs76.

But on appearance this TV wins hands down and if the picture is the same I would be willing to pay extra just for the look of it.

Does anyone know any place in London where I could see this TV first hand???

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    There is one on display in Harrods. Also saw the new 32" Hitachi plasma there and now I'm tempted to go for that instead.

6. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers guys.

I was looking at one at the Sony Centre in BlueWater (the only place I've actually seen one) but I didn't think about the separates or measuring until I got home. :rolleyes:

I'm getting closer and closer to buying...

7. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The prices in my first post didn't have delivery on them which pushed it up by £72.00 but it was worth while me searching around.

I have just bought the 36NX200 from my local Sony Centre with 5 years on site cover and delivery & install for £1999.99

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. This is replacing a 13 year old Sony 21" nicam TV. It's a bit different! :eek:

8. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ScottyToo

That seems like a great deal - which Sony Centre was that??? My local sony centre is still asking for £2300

Maybe I can tell them that their other stores are charging less??

9. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just seen the NX200 for around £1750 + £50 del, 6 months interest free also

but I'm going for the 36FS76 which is £400 cheaper (I may pick it up and save another £50 :))

as I can't justify the extra money for the digital tuner/memory stick slot/DRC1250/loss of PAP as I have seen both side by side

plus FS76 is smaller which is better for me also

(W/H/D) 972x614x591 compared to 1148x835x748

10. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The price was comprised as follows :

£1999.99 new in store promotional offer.

I got the 5 yr warranty (£233.00 I think) and delivery (£50) thrown in so I guess this is similar to MackemX's finding (where was this?).

The store is in Harlow but the manager wasn't keen on letting me have the deal that I wanted (as above). It took some time.

Kanu25,
    I don't think telling them there other stores are selling lower will cut much ice as they are all independant franchises. However they may still price match. My Sony Centre only let me have the deal after getting them to match a price from an email I received from hiwayhifi in TCR, London.

11. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Doesnt the FS76 have DRC1250? Could you see the horizontal scan lines on the FS76 whereas you couldnt on the NX200?

12. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im very interested in this as 2 suppliers have told me that the fs76 and nx200 have exactly the same DRC features...im currently undecided on which tv to buy between the two but i would like the drc 1250 feature and would prefer to buy the fs76 .....can anyone confirm for sure whether both tvs have this feature.????

13. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A salesman in a SONY centre told me today they have both the same DRC. The catalogue says both the NX200 and FS76 have DRC-MF which "increases the vertical and horizontal picture information.....with a resolution of 4x greater." DRC-MF is also on the 32NX200, 32DX100 and 32FQ80 also.

However, www.techtronics.com say the NX200 has DRC1250 "with no visible horizontal scanning lines (ideal for DVD video)" whereas it doesnt mention it with the FS76.

Here is what a google search brought up:

http://www.sony-middleeast.com/television/drc.htm
    http://www.sony.com.hk/Electronics/cool/drc/drc_1250.htm "Super real 4X picture quality and it really likes looking through a window of reality! " :rolleyes:

Maybe someone with a FS76 manual can confirm whether of not it has DRC1250?

14. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FS76 does not have DRC 1250

It only has DRC 50 & DRC 100 in the options I played with

the NX200 has DRC 1250 (also doubles the vertical pixels) as I have the catalogue here also. Look HERE for more info

I cannot believe it, the place that is selling the FS76 for £1360 were offering free 5 year warranty but the offer has just ended :mad:

I have now seen it elsewhere for £1337 and the NX200 for £1707, guess I'm gonna go for the FS76 as the NX200 will be outta date when Digital is the only broadcast signal

Hotkit have cheap extended guarantees but the TV is a bit more but still less than £2000 delivered with 5 year ext

NX200 for £1819 +£10 delivery + £150 for 5 year warranty= total £1989

15. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

took me so long writing my post above that you beat me to it WSH

I have played with the Sony FS76 in a local store and there were 3 DRC options

50Hz,
    DRC50
    DRC100

I have also seen somewhere that DRC1250 does not work at 100Hz, but I will try to confirm this, that why I wasn't bothered about not getting DRC1250 on the FS76 as DRC100 on the FS76 looks good enough for me for now till HDTV's become more mainstream in th UK :D

16. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  17. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Where is the NX200 @ £1707? Has anyone actually seen the 36" NX200 on demo and compared it directly to the FS76? Nowhere at all seems to have one.

18. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory my NX200 has 3 modes. They are standard 100mhz mode with no resolution enhancement. A 50MHZ DRC and a 100MHZ DRC. The tv options and my manual don't mention something called a "1250 DRC" mode. Why not call Sony on 08705-111999 and get the answer?

19. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I RANG SONY TECHNICAL TODAY AND THEY CONFIRMED THAT THE DRC MODES ON THE NX200 AND FS76 ARE IDENTICAL AND NIETHER SET HAS DRC1250 SO THE FS76 IS DEFINATLEY THE BETTER AND CHEAPER SET TO GO FOR PLUS YOU GET PICTURE IN PICTURE AND £500 QUID IS A BIT STEEP FOR A MEMORY STICK SLOT AND A DIGITAL TUNER !!!!!!!

20. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can the fs76 be definately better??

I'm still deciding between the two.

Yes the fs76 is cheaper - but to me the physical body of the TV looks awful and out-of-date - don't know why Sony didn't change it.

The nx200 looks much nicer although it hasn't picture-in-picture - but I think it looks a million times better than the fs76. for £300 more I personally think its worth it.

The main consideration for me is which TV will give me the best viewing for football...but I am presuming they will both be the same

21. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300 more?

it's nearer £400 if you shop about for the cheapest suppliers

how much have you seen either model for?

cheapest I've seen is £1337-FS76 & £1707-NX200

so if the NX200 has not got DRC1250, and they do both have the same DRC-MF options the FS76 looks the better buy for me

why pay upwards of £370+ for a digital receiver/memory slot and EPG

plus you lose Picture & Picture and a shelf in the stand

I agree the NX200 is a little better looking, but not at that price :(

22. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    £1485 QED FS76
    QED £1797 NX200

I know what you mean about the looks. I was thinking along the lines of getting an AV glass table for the FS76 to sit on. That may improve the looks of the cumbersome stand.

EDIT: I initially posted the techtronics price of £1344 for the FS76 which I didnt realise was ex-VAT. So it wasnt the cheapest I found. :clown:
    Thanks for pointing that out. :)

23. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you do realise that Techtronics price does not include VAT?

total price is actually £1580.38

24. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok..I may have underestimated the preice difference!!:blush:

I accept - that the memory stick and integrated digital are pointless.

The only thing that is preventing me buy the fs76 at the moment is the looks

25. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the stupid buttons on the top at the front of the FS76
    which :clown: thought of that ?

p.s. that was a quick edit WSH

now my post looks lost :D

p.p.s now you put the prices back up :confused:

p.p.p.s be aware of QED, I mean you can't even telephone them as the site has no phone number at all. Plus you have to create an account just to send an email pre-sales enquiry!

so imagine what after sales service is like, cos I've read a few bad reports about them and that put me straight off them

p.p.p.p.s you don't get a stand either?

26. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What are RGB direct like? They have they FS76 for £1479 inc VAT and delivery?

27. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1359.99+del

Robert Whyte send them direct from Sony
    they had 5 year free extended warranty until Sat 4th Jan but I missed it :(. Still very cheap tho £91 for 3 years & £182 for 5

£1406.99 + Del
    Dunno bowt Panther's delivery tho

28. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reason i say that this set is better is because you get more tv for your money the nx200 has useless features to me and is overpriced IMHO.