1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36inch TV'S. Which to get/avoid!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Glenn Keen, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm after buying a 36inch TV, what would people recomend?

I like the look of the Toshiba 36ZP18Q but understand there are lots of problems with them.

I also understand that the big Sony's also have problems!

I've had my old Philips TV for over ten years and never had any problems with it. Having seen a Philips 9706 next to the Toshiba 36ZP18Q the picture didn't look as good, although that is probably the way the shop had them st up!

Are all these problems related to the big CRT's?

Any advice would be great, as it's a lot of money to spend!:)

2. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 36" and the picture is very good. However, I do have the scrolling bar problem intermittently through my video and terrestial channels although the DVD is always perfect. You may want to wait until a new model of the Sony 36" appears later this year or you could probably pick up a cheaper current set after the new model appears. I do not recall seeing any other problems with the Sony 36" other than scrolling bars.

I think the set looks nice as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have owned a 29" Philips TV for 6 years- 100mz-the picture is and has always been fantastic.
    It has been relegated to the kitchen and performssuperbly.

Replacement:

36" 9607-linked to top quality equipment with good scart leads, good quality optical and digital co-axial leads.

Picture quality is fantastic on all functions. We cannot believe how good it is-the feature that allows us to watch full size dvd pictures is also excellent-thus allowing the removal of horizontal and vertical bars from the screen is a major feature-friends who have t.v's without this function feel miffed when the picture is cut down on top and bottom by 2/3 inches.

I intended to buy the 40" Loewe but when I saw the quality of the picture and not having a flat screen I went for the Philips.
    How glad I am- even the boss is impressed.
    NJ

4. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a look at the P+ Phillips at 4 different retailers and every one of them had a terrible picture with blocking and a very artificial looking digital picture. I guess it might have been the set-up but surely they couldn't all have set it up incorrectly.

5. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Panasonic tx 36" ...just get one

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to blow the Toshiba 36ZD26 trumpet here... The new Strata range. The image quality is slightly better than the ZP18 with Sky digital and analog viewing but its big plus is progressive scan. DVD playback via RGB is superb already but with NTSC progressive scan its the icing on the cake.

I've heard some things like moiré on Panasonic TVs but if you don't know the term don't look for it... Honestly because it can distract your viewing pleasure since I own a Panasonic TV as well.

My only adivce to you Glenn is to take your fave DVD with you and visit the retailers. Have a look at all the contenders and ask/demand them to use the best DVD player they have on the selected TVs with a good quality RGB scart cable. The DVD player of choice should be nothing less than a Toshiba SD220E since thats the benchmark for budget DVD players.

Personal preference is quite strong with TVs so if you like a TV and find no faults with it, then get it. Whatever you do don't rush your decision because its a fair price to pay for a CRT and you would want it to last.

7. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info.

I think I'm going to choose between the Toshiba 36ZT29B or the Philips 36PW9607C.

I like the Toshiba because of the Component Vidio Input (My Sony DVD player has Component conections). But I hate the loof of the stand! (Guess just needs getting used to!).

I have a soft spot for Philips TV's as my current one has done me proud for 12 years without any problems.

I know that the Toshiba has Progressive scan, but as all my DVD's are Region 2, I can't see me getting any use from it. Shame it doesn't do PAL Progressive Scan!.

So I guess I'll try and find local store that's got both in and try them out with a good quality DVD player.

One question, what DVD would you recommend using? I have a good test one that came with Total DVD magazine. But what film?
    I was thinking maybe Gladiator.

Anymore thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Glenn.

8. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I had the Sony 36" set (FS70) for 18 months before moving on to Plasma.

It was a fantastic set, and with DRC is had a stunning picture, especially from DVD. Digital cable was also excellent.

I have now owned 3 Sony TV's and have *never* noticed this 'scrolling bar' problem, and believe me, I'm pretty picky.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't read through the scrolling bar prob but I think it was from an NTSC signal only... Feel free to correct me on this though.

And yeah it is a shame about the Tosh not accepting PAL prog.scan. If you really want it then opt for a Loewe TV since a certain model can accept an NTSC and PAL prog.scan signal once you have bought the add-on VGA card. But once you do this you would need a progressive scan player...

If you have the chance audition both sets of TVs in a decent environment then do so, and the Gladiator DVD is a good start. You could also bring along a THX certified DVD (T2 for example) and use its setup feature to look for any faults. The Tosh stand is different alright but then you don't have to use it. At the end of the day though you can't go too wrong with either mate.

Good luck ^_^

10. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice NeoBlade.

Guess I'm taking T2 & Gladiator! :)

Just remembered that I've got to pay of the balance on my Denon amp & MK speaker this month so I guess I'll be waiting until the end of September to get my TV! :(
    Unless I can get it on interest free credit!. :D

Well at least the wait will give me chance to check the TV's out and see if anyone has had problems with the new Toshiba's.

Thanks again for all the info people, realy appreciate it.

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs mate. There have been a few posts on faulty Toshiba's so its best to check everything first hand. I've been quite fortunate that everything is fine for my set... Mind you I'm due some good luck. My previous Tosh ZP18 messed up big time.

There are some calibration DVD disks out there that tests out a TVs performance but so far I can't find them... One is called Avia and thats all I know so far. Well worth hunting down though since it will help you set up your TV correctly.

Good Luck once again ^_^