1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36FS70 Experiment - Scrolling Bars Part 2 - OTHER SONY FQ/FS OWNERS PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr_P, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well I have spent all afternoon, trying to get to the bottom of this scrolling bar problem on my set!

I have tried as many combinations of inputs to my tv to find out what exactly is happening and what makes these scrolling bars appear. I have used my 'super video' recorder, my x box, my ps2, used a combination of rgb leads, normal video leads, aerial leads, super video leads etc.

Please note that the following maybe unique to my tv, but please experiment on your Sony tv to see if you get similar results.

(1) Aerial Input
    This produces the scrolling bars regardless of what else is plugged or not plugged into the tv. Other sources do not have any effect, the scrolling bars are present all the time.

(2) AV1(RGB mode and non RGB mode)
    No visible scrolling bars with or without the aerial connection and no visible scrolling bars with all combinations of AV2 and AV3 connected. HOWEVER and this is the biggest find, connect a source to the front av input, known as AV4, whether by normal video or super video AND YOU GET BIG SCROLLING BARS ON AV1 AS CLEAR AS DAY!!!

(3) AV2(normal and super video)
    Same as (2)!

(4) AV3(normal and super video)
    Same as (2)!

(5) AV4 (normal and super video)
    BIG SCROLLING BARS AS CLEAR AS DAY irrespective of what else is attached to the tv!!!

I tested out everything I could, connecting my video recorder to each of the sources, the X box and the ps2 to others. I tried everything in the engineer mode to see if the effect could be turned off. IT COULD NOT!!

From my tests the following can be established.

(1) The aerial connection always produces scrolling bars.
    (2) AV4 always produces scrolling bars
    (3) AV1, AV2 and AV3 are fine UNLESS you connect something to AV4, then you get the scrolling bars. (The scrolling bars may indeed be present on these sources, however they might be hard to spot, however AV4 brings them out and when it does, the bars are almost black!!)

Also I carried out some PAP tests. This is what I found:

(1) In Picture and Picture mode, the scrolling bars disappear from aerial input, AV1, AV2 and AV3 even when the scrolling bars are present on full screen! However AV3 suffers from diagonal scrolling bars instead if there is an AV4 source! This happens when AV3 is being shown alongside any source in PAP mode irrespective of whether on the right or the left. Remove the AV4 source and AV3 is fine in PAP mode.

(2) AV4 suffers from diagonal scrolling bars in PAP mode FULL STOP!

My conclusions are that AV4 affects AV1, AV2 and AV3 by producing scrolling bars in full picture mode when there is a source input to AV4. In PAP mode, these AV sources lose their scrolling bars however AV3 gets diagonal scrolling bars if AV4 is being used.

SONY have obviously not tested out the circuit board that brings together the AV inputs. My TV set seems to suffer from interference from the AV4 port which from my tests, prove that Sony have not 'insulated' the AV4 port at all. It causes scrolling bars in full picture to the other AV inputs as well as itself, it also produces diagonal scrolling bars when in PAP mode and finally affects the AV3 screen with these diagonal bars when AV3 is in PAP mode!
    Also SONY have not tested out my aerial input as this produces scrolling bars in full picture mode.

So Sony need to provide me with a board where the aerial if fully shielded and does not produce scrolling bars and the AV4 input is fully shielded as well so it does not effect the other AV sources.

What I need is someone with the schematic diagrams for the aerial connection and the AV1,2,3,4 inputs. From this I could establish exactly how they are all connected and where it could be going possibly wrong. Has anyone got these and could scan them in for me?

Can anyone answer my question that the AV4 IS connected to the board that is being replaced at the moment? From the above tests I have done, it MUST connect somewhere in the TV. I just hope that the replacement board will cover the aerial, AV1,2,3 AND AV4. If it does not, then it is something further along the line within the tv. This may explain why this new board is not always providing the answer in all cases.

SONY UK PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THESE FINDINGS!!

I am no expert in TV matters but even someone like myself can take an intelligent guess where you are going wrong with this tv!

For my FS70 and all the other FS/FQ tv's to leave the factory with this fault in is A DISGRACE!!!! It would take me 2 minutes to test whether the fault is on TV's on the production line. I SUGGEST YOU ADD THIS TO YOUR PATHETIC QUALITY CONTROL PROCEDURES RIGHT NOW!!! (ASSUMING YOU DO QC THESE SETS!!?!?)

Sorry for the long post folks, but what does everyone else think?

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    SONY + QUALITY CONTROL

These two just don't seem to go together. A contradiction in terms methinks.

Why else would they send out a 32FX65 with loose scart sockets?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The board that Sony are replacing looks like the regular J-Board (I'm no expert though!) with a large number of wires soldered onto the back. They just remove the old board and slot the new one in.

Has made a slight difference to my set but I still have the bars scrolling...

I don't normally use the AV4 input though, so I can't confirm what you've said above.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can find scrolling bars on AV1 etc without having to plug something into AV4.
    They are much more difficult to spot, but they are there. You need a dark room and turn the brightness and contrast up on the set and watching a dark film you should be able to see them.