1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36FS70 and white line

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JimM, Feb 18, 2002.

1. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I took delivery of my Sony 36 incher on Friday and although the picture is outstanding I have a couple of niggles.

The main problem is that when watching some DVDs there is a thin white line visible across the top of the screen. The line runs for about 3/4 of the width of the screen but I've rotated the picture slightly and therefore think the rest of it is cut off. It looks like it is mostly visible on R1 titles and whilst watching R2 Snatch yesterday I couldn't see it all.

This wouldn't be too bad but it sticks out a mile when the screen goes black (as it does before most films start) and once you've seen it you keep looking for it.

Is this a fault with the TV, is it worth replacing or should I go for a refund and pick something else.

As far the other problems go, I've checked geometry with a Snell & Wilcox pattern and although not perfect I could certainly live with it. Again the main problem is with the top of the screen which bends slightly to the right for the top inch or so.

Thanks for any advice

Jim

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you going through RGB connection?

If not try RGB and then go into the RGB set up menu were you can adjust picture H/V........I say this as you have only mentioned picture rotate..........hope this helps

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What you are seeing are stabilization signals of some kind (from what I have understood they adjust the cutoff currents for the guns).

The set might have difficulty adapting its geometry for the different scan rate because of internal design issues. The same effect can be observed on some Philips sets with EMG, EM2E and EM3E chassis. In those, the effect is caused by some deflection signal combination and adjustments being done outside the display processor, and these signals being sent across via optocouplers from the processor to the drive circuits. I do not know if the Sony uses the same technique.