360vPS3vRevolution!

AML

Prominent Member
Reaction score
:hiya:

:rolleyes: I know, I know, these arguments have been done to death, but the general gaming forum is pretty quiet at the moment and since Nintendo showed us what the new revo controller is like, I think many of us have a new take on Nintendo.

Personaly after seeing the 360 in action and playing some games on it at TGS I have to say that I am excited about the 360 and will most certainly be buying one.

However, at the end of the day I dont see a huge difference between the XBox and the 360.

Just higher resolution and since it has a better GPU, more detail in the games.

But is this grounbreaking or revolutionary? I dont think so.

I have a feeling the PS3 will more of the same. Sequels galore with prettier graphics.

Revo is the only machine that gives me some hope at the moment.

Any thoughts?

I have to say that I do agree with your thoughts. Whilst I am excited about the X360 and PS3 (although more excited about the X360 right now given it should here in a couple of months) I do feel that deep down it's just more of the same. An upgraded CPU, graphics card etc. etc.

I was extremely sceptical about the Revo before the controller announcemnt, but I have to admit that now I'm sold. Being completely honest, I'm looking forward to what the Revo has to offer more than Sony and MS' efforts!

I certainly don't think the Revo has any chance of coming 1st in the next console war (or even 2nd for that matter) but I value content more than form and for me the Revo offers the greatest hope of something different.

more excited about 360 atm because its simply closer to release than the ps3. i want both and im sure both platforms will deliver awesome stuff. revolution i couldnt give a monkey's about and after seeing the new controller i got to admit i laughed and thought it was a hoax. nintendo for me has always made a console for the asian market only and is dominated by IMO by kid's games. you will get the odd great game from it ala Resi Evil 4 or Goldeneye in recent years. personally this is just how i feel and only loved my N64 becuase i was a young boy when i owned one. im afraid nintendo dont have anything to offer me anymore i just cant stand that fat plummer playing every :censored: sport imaginable and making a game out of it. having said all this id love nothing more than for nintendo to totally shock me and come out as top dog as this would make it a 3 horse race in future years and give the other 2, sony especially a kick up the rear end. my 2p's worth....................roll on the 360 followed by the ps3 :) :D

I think you are right with many of your comments. Nintendo has certainly moved from being a "multy age" company releasing games for everyone to being a kids games company.

Its also true that as we get older we loose interest in characters like "mario" and get more into characters like "Gordon Freeman" (just an example, dont bite my head off!)

Yesterday I went to a friends house and they have 3 kids. We spent the afternoon playing zelda (that one that requires GBAs to be conected to play the 4 player games) on the Cube and it was tons of fun. We played together and thats something I dont usually have a chance to do!

He also has a PS2 that was just sitting there.

This is a good example of why nintendo will still be arround in the future. And why in Japan at least it will always be popular.

I think Nintendo have seen this trend and rather than choose to compete directly with Sony and MS they will hang back and dominate the 8y/o -to- 16y/o market while sony and MS divide the rest ammong themselves. Most 18 to 25 y/o will preffer the PS brand while older gamers over 25 might be more into the XBox brand as it speaks more about power and such.

This is just my opinion though. In this next round the PS3 and 360 will be evenly matched power wise so i wonder whats gona happen.

This is weird as I have just been playing on my 9 year old sons Gamecube for the first time in at least a Year :eek:

The kids are with my Mum for the weekend and I had promised to find him some cheat codes for one of his games to open a subgame...so I was just making sure they worked and ended up playing for ages...then went on to have a look at Metroid Prime Echoes and absolutely loved it!!!

I am really getting excited about picking up the 360 now and finally getting to play (on what I have no idea as there still seems to be no real info as to what software will be out on the same day as the console). That is simply due to how close we are to launch though.

I am sure I will be getting just as eager to play on the PS3 when it is close to launch as I have promised my 11 year old lad he can have one of those and that my 9 year old can have the Revolution......

...but out of them all I think the Revolution may come as the shock to us all and, if the games are a bit more mature than the majority of Gamecube titles, I could end up playing on that as much as the other two !

completely agree basically nintendo knows its market and is sticking to it. for what they do, they are a fantastic company shows by the sales in the asian market. i do remember loving nintendo years ago but as you stated we just moved away from it for more adult titles. there are still many older lovers of the nintendo consoles but they will just not even come a close 2nd to sony/MS this time round. i do believe that sony will win again becuase it holds so much of the market currently. i just cannot see M$ doing massive things in asia. i can see them doing better than last time but not enough to knock sony of the pedastle. in terms of power between the 2 heavyweights its swings and roundabouts. for one person stating the cell is better than the 3 core CPU another will claim the nvidia GPU is better than the ATi so power wise its the same. the winner will be excluding the asian market so europe/N.USA will be down to what exclusive titles will be the best basically. take all the machine power you want if the titles aint up to scratch the good night your done. so i look forward to some Halo Vs MGS, PGR3 Vs GT5.

one thing i know for sure is its a good futures for gamers :thumbsup:

edited after post above:

...but out of them all I think the Revolution may come as the shock to us all and, if the games are a bit more mature than the majority of Gamecube titles, I could end up playing on that as much as the other two !

this is the problem IMO they will not be more mature, it will just be more of the same sort of idea's. you will get the plummer and his mates in 100's of games plus exclusive titles that will more than likely be kiddy for the lack of a better word. as i stated above id love nothing more than the Revo to totally shock me, hell if it does well and the titles are better it may shock my bank account. i owned the cube for about 2 months and tried a few games and it just plain sucked for me. im all in favour to have the odd immature game type to play on im sure i own one for the ps2 at least but when the catalouge is full of them then it becomes a tad dull

Kopite4Ever said:
take all the machine power you want if the titles aint up to scratch the good night your done. so i look forward to some Halo Vs MGS, PGR3 Vs GT5.

But this is the problem I have with the PS3/X360, whilst I look forward to the above titles on their respective consoles, none of them will excite me as much as the first iterations did. The same thoughts apply to Ninty, but with their new controller method, I'm hoping/expecting a different gaming experience from some of the franchises I've grown to love.

I have noticed now that Dixons are taking pre-orders for the XBOX 360.......
Out on the 2nd DEC apparently :thumbsup:

However there are 2 versions

The XBOX 360 at about £360 (what a coincidence)
and the XBOX CORE 360 at about £285... but beware the CORE 360 has no hard drive!!!! :rtfm:

So you have to buy the more expensive one to be able to save games etc.... or buy an attachment by the looks of it....

I think i'll wait until the PS3 comes out, at least that might drive the price of the 360 down a bit.... probably end up with both eventually anyway... :D

Layne - either you want to play the best console available at the time or you don't, so waiting for a PS3 is just stoooopid
Check the xbox forum for all you need to know about the 360

PooonTang said:
Layne - either you want to play the best console available at the time or you don't, so waiting for a PS3 is just stoooopid
Check the xbox forum for all you need to know about the 360

I ment i'll wait for the PS3 to come out so the price of the full on all singing XBOX 360 will come down. :suicide:

Layne RIP said:
I ment i'll wait for the PS3 to come out so the price of the full on all singing XBOX 360 will come down.

But the question is, do you have the patience to wait!?!

I'm not sure... !!! depends how much i decide that i don't want to pay microsoft's rip off price of £360.

Kopite4Ever said:
it will just be more of the same sort of idea's. you will get the plummer and his mates in 100's of games plus exclusive titles that will more than likely be kiddy for the lack of a better word.
i would rather play a different range of games with the same character than play fifa, burnout and the likes again and again and again. Nintendo might have mario in lots of the games, but not one of them are the same play and are what 99% different. All games on the other 2 consoles are exactly the same as their prequels with prettier graphics.

I skipped the current gen consoles but next time round im probably going to buy a 360 and revo when prices come down, Sony and EA just dont do it for me any more

Layne RIP said:
I'm not sure... !!! depends how much i decide that i don't want to pay microsoft's rip off price of £360.

Don't you mean £280? :confused:

I'll be buying the Xbox360 and the Revolution, both look like great consoles with their own strengths.

TBH I'm not too bothered about the PS3, by the time it gets released I'm sure to be more excited about playing something different on the Revolution rather than taking another graphics step up from the 360.

With each new generation of consoles I get less excited about better graphics, they are so good as standard now, plenty good enough for most games anyway.

On top of everything else, I must be the only person I know that hates the look of the PS3, ugly IMO.

Just my 2pence but imo games "stories" have been done dead.

Its following the film industry. If we take a look at that how many BIG original films have there been in the past few years? Yeah they still produce more originals than remakes but, I bet if you did an in-depth study, more and more film remakes are coming out in ratio to older years.

So, games makers have to find a new edge, this is where I believe the 360 will be strong.

Xbox Live. And for free. I'm a big fan of human interaction. I get soooo bored playing against AI and this is why all the games I have on PC allow me to play against/with other humans. Playing against/with humans can keep me playing an old game for years after its support has finished. It wasn't long ago I stopped playing anyone I could trick into playing Red Alert- Aftermath, into a LAN game at my house. My current xbox's occasionaly see an outing in Ghost Recon solo but the rest of there use is relegated to "after the pub, booze at mine lads!" or excellent Media Centers.

I see the future of gaming as being online, one where people make the fun.

(just for the record, my PC generaly gets used as an overpowered Eve-Online system :rotfl: )

I'm picking up you quite like EVE Online there Monty ;) I had a months trial, and I really wish I had more time to play it, but it's just too deep. Fantastic atmosphere though, so vast, and so well thought out.

The videogame industry is still young and moving toward maturity, but there's a way to go yet. Comparisons to film and music are very relevant and only go to show where gaming's going to be headed over the next few years. Gamings genres have been defined, and most IP has been taken. It's inevitable that sequels will become even more widespread and the cynics will cry over the lack of originaility present. I don't agree, originality has just become diluted - it's a natural process.

Where games will grow is through immersion, scale and social interaction. Graphics, sound, story and attention to detail create immersion, vast playing areas and increased numbers of players add scale and social interaction will be created though easy to use devices like the Revolution controller and Xbox Live. My hope for next gen is that titles build on these ideas, and allow for the player to become more involved in their new worlds.

To me the PS3 hasn't added anything except new graphics, while the 360 evolves the Live experience and the Revolution twists how we interact with games. Both the last two are on my shopping list, but Sony are going to have to try harder to hook me again.

Lorenzini said:
Both the last two are on my shopping list, but Sony are going to have to try harder to hook me again.

I think you used the wrong word Munkey, instead of hook you should of said fleece

Tejstar said:
Don't you mean £280? :confused:

No the £280 price as i've seen so far is for the XBOX 360 Core (the one without the hard drive)

I'd buy the proper one.. but it's up at £360 at the mo.. if anyone is selling them cheaper that's cool... but beware that it might be the sans hard drive version!! :rtfm:

Layne RIP said:
No the £280 price as i've seen so far is for the XBOX 360 Core (the one without the hard drive)

I'd buy the proper one.. but it's up at £360 at the mo.. if anyone is selling them cheaper that's cool... but beware that it might be the sans hard drive version!! :rtfm:
Oh, I'll put him out of his misery then... Here's a link to Amazon, where they are taking pre-orders for the full version at £280. This is the standard price everywhere, but I can't be :censored: to put up all the other links. Whether the shops have stock left or not is a different matter...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Layne RIP said:

As Lorenzini pointed out, I think you're getting confused. It's £210 for the core and £280 for the full (incl hard drive) package!

Not sure about the 360 yet as it seems to have a lot of "Muscle man with gun", Racing games and wanna be "adult games" for me, although I do like the look of ridge racer. too many games coming out on the current gen machines until I consider buying one.

We Love Katamari, Seiken Densetsu 4, Seiken Densetsu DS, Battalion Wars, Super Monkey Ball DS, Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, Legend of Zelda, Shadow of Colosus, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness will keep me busy until the next gen has something interesting to offer me

I've been thinking similar things recently, the only next-gen game I'm really looking forward to is Gears of War. I've been thinking of just cancelling my X360 order until I have time to devote to it…

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom