1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 very applish

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by PioRow, Oct 21, 2005.

1. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    After watching the latest video reports on the 360 from gametrailers.com I am starting to get the feeling that the 360 is very apple like in its product presentation and ease of use.
    Dont get me wrong, the casing design and joypad arent quite as beatiful as apple products but the little features and usability are right up there with the ipod. I love the new xbox dash, it looks like its been well researched and looks very usefull. The controller is nice and simple and has that x button that lights up which is a nice touch. The headset seems to work very seemlessly with the whole unit and the plug and charge kit is a nice feature. The way you can sync your controller up with a friends xbox360 by simply pressing a button on the console and button on the pad is very clever.
    On the physical console the casing is very nice, very home cinema-esque. I like the way the HD detaches allowing for a new bigger HD in the future. Also the usb ports are a nice touch, I dont see the need for 7-8 usb ports, 2 on the front and one on the back is all you need, I'm sure it will take a usb hub if need be. The remote that comes with the system is very usefull as well, the guy in demonstration made a funny comment about being able to turn the console on via the remote. I think this could replace a dvd player if it is able to scale dvd's upto 720p and 1080i.
    The whole 360 package seems very consumer friendly, it looks like something you would use as a media centre under your PC. The only issue I have is the inability to stream video media from a normal xp pro PC. You have to have a Media centre PC. Also I think it would be wise for them to support other formats such as xvid. They really need to make the 360 as open as possible. Being able to play xvid movies would make it unbeatible in my opinion.

Overall I think the 360 is going to be a more rounded system than the PS3. The PS3 will be about sheer graphics and processing power while the 360 will be a games machine / multimedia hub. I will own both but the 360 is looking very good at the moment.

2. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I think I agree with everything you said there! :)

I'm sure Microsoft are hoping the 360 will be "The Ipod of 2006". Judging by the amount of pre-orders, this could happen!

3. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gotta watch this video. So far it all sounds good.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    It won't, as it doesn't have HDMI output. Although if you're feeding it to an LCD/plasma, it might not matter as the screen will scale as well (bit of a hung jury on the benefits of a HDMI upscaling DVD player at the mo)

XP connect V2.0 *might* let you stream videos to X360. It does for other UPnP devices. I have my fingers crossed. Without that (IMO) the media centre stuff is almost irrelevant for the mainstream, as MCE is not widespread. And those that are into MCE will most likely have an alternative renderer under their TV.

Have you seen the PSP? Sony just announced a PSP bundle with 1GB memory stick for movies and music. They know they need to leverage multimedia content (especially owning a movie and music studio). I'm sure PS3 will have something similar - possibly even more open (they already have UPnP compatible devices you can buy)

Yep. Worth it for PGR3 alone :D

5. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    personally I think the 360 is a very good looking piece of kit, it will take pride of place in my AV cabinet and will be used as my primary DVD player and obviously games machine. I will be keeping my old crystal xbox for XBMC, therefore I'm not too worried about the 360's streaming capabilities.

IMO this next gen console war is going to be about multi media capabilities and online play rather than just sheer graphical power, I think the 360 will be the most complete package.

Sony will hang on to the top spot this gen IMO, but with MS a very close second, third gen MS will really shine.

6. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would like to think that the xbox would shine in its third iteration but I cant see the playstation brand being beaten. Many people will hark back and use nintendo and sega as examples of how the mighty have fallen but those were games companies who sold to gamers. Sony is a multinational organisation selling a brand to the genral public. These people will not switch or ditch the playstation brand easily. They will flock to the shops to buy a PS3 over the xbox360 without even weighing up the pros and cons of each console.
    Gamers on the other hand have less brand loyalty, they go where the games are. If the 360 offers the kind of games they like, i.e. online community etc etc then they will buy 360. But sadly they will also very likely buy a PS3 as well. This could mean that no matter how well microsoft do with the 360 they will never become market leader.
    The third generation of consoles is way to hard to predict, partly due to the fact that its at least 6 years off and by then what will the internet offer the average user? I would bet on 10 meg or greater being the standard which opens the posibility of providing content via the web. Online functionality would be the main focus of these generations of consoles and thats why its hard to predict. Does microsoft have a more comprehensive online infrastructure? Currently yes, in 6 years time I would imagine sony will of invested huge amounts of money in media distribution via broadband that they might even be ahead of microsoft in this area.
    I think they aim of the 360 should be to establish a market share, maintain it and make a profit. Doesnt have to be a huge profit but a profit needs to be made. If microsoft dropped out of the console business I could see sony aggressively trying to buy Nintendo and dominate the games business. Microsoft need to stay in the console business purely to stop sony gaining total control over the market.

7. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    For Sony, PS3 IS the third generation console!

If MS don't get take the lead this time round I wonder if they'll bother again.

MS have to stop Sony taking over? Ha, that's rich when you're talking about Microsoft - how many anti-competitive, anti-trust cases do they have ongoing...

8. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You may think that people will flock to the PS3 for brand name alone but if it ships at twice the price of the 360 then I wouldn't be so certain. By the time the PS3 hits the UK (some time in 2007 most likley) the core bundle will have had atleast 1 or 2 price drops and be around the £150 mark. With the amount of (many would deem unnecessary) tech (wifi, thee gigabit ethernet ports, bluetooth, bluray, 6 usb ports, the "cell" all add to the cost) in the PS3 and from a historical standpoint (PS1 and PS2 both launched at £300) I can't see them getting anywhere below £300 and a £400 price point is likley. Now, what is the average consumer or Billy's parents going to do when they buy a new console for Christams so they can play the latest version of FIFA or Need for Speed when the games are identical on each system apart from inferior online on the more expensive one? Brand loyalty is important to the average consumer but I would argue price is even more important.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    The Chavstation is dead!! Long live the 360!! :D

Na.. personally I see them both doing well this time. Sony will do well to hold back the rampaging monster that is MS but they do currently have a good market share. The unknown for me is Ninty! I would have said that they were dead in the water until they released the Revo controller...now I just don't know! I can see all the "non gamers" loving the new control as I think that a lot of them get put off by Joypads.

But anyway he says gazing up at what this thread is actually about...the 360 does look very stylish IMO, the circle of light looks cool and it's a much less harsher shape box than the ole' breeze block (aka X-Box). Sony seem content to continue mimicking items you find around the home. After the successful fan heater design that was PS2 they have moved on to capture the kitchen storage crowd with the new Bread bin design. :D

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    For all the good will in the world, it would be a disaster if MS won this console war. I hope it becomes a major disaster in some ways, the stranglehold MS has over such a large part of the world's economy is quite frightening. Especially when you consider MS is now buying educational academys in the UK now! :eek: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Personally I hope that we have a nicely balanced competetive market with no one dominant manufacturer. I would like to see Ninty improve it's market share along side MS but even though they have a very exciting new controller I can't see them competing with the big 2 if i'm honest. I think that the best we can hope for is that Sony & MS both end up with roughly equal shares. Competition drives companies on harder to produce better consoles and games.

I think that if the situation switches around with MS having most of the market and Sony only about 1/5 of the market (like MS has now) then Sony will never be able to come back against the might of MS. That would be a bad thing IMO and I hope it never happens!

12. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Completley spot on, I couldn't have said it better myself. The more competition the better, aslong as there are no monopolies then the only winners are us. With regards to Nintendo I can see them doing OK, they're being sensible and are targeting areas of the market the other two don't even think about. The Reveloution is going to be very cheap and have access to lots of easy to play, innovative games aswell as the whole of Nintendo's back catalogue at a presumabley pleasent price. The console should sell well to non gamers, to kids and I think it will also sell well as a second console to a lot of gamers. There's no real point in having both a PS3 and 360 as they are roughly the same but for little over £100 one can experience completley new games unlike anything else, I know as a longtime gamer I'm not going to pass up on that offer.

With regards to the thread topic, I do like the look of the 360 and the dash does look very intuitave. Things like this are very important, afterall it was the image of the PS1 as they cool thing to have that created a lot of its success.

13. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

Got a link to the reports in question?

Cheers

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
  15. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand this. How is it "ok" that Sony should dominate but it would be a bad thing if MS did ?
    Personally I hate Sony equipment because it's so propietary, is very Japan-centric and their media wing dominates smaller producers.
    They way Sony treat(ed) game developers is hardly the model for partnership in game development. 'our way or the highway'.

Personally I hope the 360 gives the PS3 a serious hiding and that consumers have real choice. As far as I can see the 360 gives me more choice and options than anything that Sony have planned.

ROTFLMAO that's gotta be quote of the week hahahaah. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

agreed. I suspect the 360 will fare better in the long run.

agreed - it's very nice to the touch and the circle of light is very cool - appearing on the console, controller and screen. All very consistent and "connected".

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I've got to agree with this really. Can you imagine a Sony rep saying this:
    Linky

That's a quote from J Allard. It's great that MS are trying to co-operate instead of making everything propietary.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Personally I just feel that MS is big enough as a company to monopolise any industry but Sony are not. Whilst Sony are a fairly large company they pale when compared to MS. I just feel that if MS became a donminant No 1 then it wouldn't be good for the industry. It's similar in that if MS weren't in the industry then Sony would dominate and would keep dominating (unless someone like MS joined the fray) as Nintendo just don't have the might to deal with their brand. Any monopolisation is bad IMO and all I meant by my point was that MS have the ability to stop Sony's domination but there's nobody (IMO) capable of shifting MS if they get to No 1! It will just be like Windows - 95% of people will use the MS product and 5% will be spread around a series of smaller companies all desparate for a small bit of market share.