360 price drop?

eddidaz

Novice Member
I've heard rumours of a 360 price drop this weekend.

Anyone know anything about this?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Not heard anything although i've been popping into the 360 forums from time to time recently as I have been expecting to hear something soon, I believe theres to be a cut but I aint got a clue exatly when it'll be.

Presumably between now and November?

How much I don't know either.

Be nice to pick up a premium for £200 notes though:devil:

RidleyDeckard

I seriously doubt it, MS have already said that they aren't planning a price cut this year, and with the PS3 coming out at £425, why would they? It could be that a bundle deal might appear, ie. a premium edition with Test Drive Unlimited or PGR 3...

ADENCOOL

Standard Member
Ive read somewhere that the price drop is on the core system, instead of £209.99, it should be avaible for £199.99

- woolworths are currenly selling core + tombradier for £199

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
I thought Microsoft wanted to price the 360 + HD-DVD drive at less than the PS3. If so then they need to drop the price of the premium 360 if the HD-DVD is going to cost £150 as rumoured (£279.99 + £150 = £429.99). Seeing as the 60Gb PS3 is supposed to be £425 they need to be aggressive in their pricing.

Jonmurgie

Novice Member
Also, why aould M$ drop the price on something they claim they make at a loss anyhow?! Agree with the PS3 comments though, with that coming out so high ££ the 360 will still be good value :)

eddidaz

Novice Member
Jonmurgie said:
Also, why aould M$ drop the price on something they claim they make at a loss anyhow?!
To sell more consoles so they can make more money off the profitable section - games. Also to tempt people away from the pending Wii release to grab more market share.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I thought:rolleyes: that there would be a price cut each year.

Since we're approacing the first anniversary.....

I guess i got it wrong:rotfl:

Pooon

KirkSi said:
I thought Microsoft wanted to price the 360 + HD-DVD drive at less than the PS3. If so then they need to drop the price of the premium 360 if the HD-DVD is going to cost £150 as rumoured (£279.99 + £150 = £429.99). Seeing as the 60Gb PS3 is supposed to be £425 they need to be aggressive in their pricing.
Unlikey to happen. As someone says above MS make a loss on the console anyway and there is no need to drop the price as it is significantly cheaper than a PS3 £279 vs £425(rumoured). There is no point in comparing he cost with the HD-DVD drive as well as this is a OPTION wheras Sony are forcing Blu-Ray on you

TEVEZ032

Banned
well, i think i disagree with the general concensus.
I think the price WILL drop. I can feel it in the air....

g

norealplan

Yeah the core has now dropped to £199.99 (PStwo's have dropped this week too, to £94.99). That's a good deal woolie are doing. I've seen gamestation are doing:

Core + any game + harddrive = £279.99

or

Core + any 2 games + memory card = £279.99

Premiums don't seem to have dropped anywhere though. I'm sure microsoft will do something with gears of war, maybe a premium and the game for £279.99?

Jay

Banned
Craigy Boy said:
Yeah the core has now dropped to £199.99 (PStwo's have dropped this week too, to £94.99). That's a good deal woolie are doing. I've seen gamestation are doing:

Core + any game + harddrive = £279.99

or

Core + any 2 games + memory card = £279.99

Premiums don't seem to have dropped anywhere though. I'm sure microsoft will do something with gears of war, maybe a premium and the game for £279.99?[/QUOTE
is this in-store only, can't find that offer online?

silverswood

Novice Member
In the Sun today the price for the core has dropped to £199 at Tors r us n Argos if anyone interested, 2 free games at Toys r us too :thumbsup:

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
KirkSi said:
I think this is irrelevant. The majority of people buy a games machine to play games, not watch movies. They have seperate, dedicated kit to do that. MS know this, hence they didn't force the technology upon it's users. Sony have messed up by doing this and pricing many loyal Sony games fans out of the PS3 market.

At the end of the day dedicated HDDVD or Blue Ray machines will be better quality than the versions built into consoles, rendering the whole situation even more pointless. Afterall, how many people play DVD's on their current consoles? A very small percentage i'd guess, simply as a dedicated player has better results. This will be the same with the new technology in the coming years. I've had every DVD based console and have never watched a dvd on any of them.

redmarkred

Who cares? Surely most people on this forum have a 360 already:smashin:

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
dgibbs said:
I think this is irrelevant. The majority of people buy a games machine to play games, not watch movies. They have seperate, dedicated kit to do that. MS know this, hence they didn't force the technology upon it's users. Sony have messed up by doing this and pricing many loyal Sony games fans out of the PS3 market.

At the end of the day dedicated HDDVD or Blue Ray machines will be better quality than the versions built into consoles, rendering the whole situation even more pointless. Afterall, how many people play DVD's on their current consoles? A very small percentage i'd guess, simply as a dedicated player has better results. This will be the same with the new technology in the coming years. I've had every DVD based console and have never watched a dvd on any of them.
I'm not a loyal sony fan I own all 3 current gen consoles but I was hanging on for the ps3 initially but several factors (price of ps3 & pro evo 6 coming out on 360) have pushed me down the 360 road, haven't got one yet but will do very soon.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Pooon said:
Unlikey to happen. As someone says above MS make a loss on the console anyway and there is no need to drop the price as it is significantly cheaper than a PS3 £279 vs £425(rumoured). There is no point in comparing he cost with the HD-DVD drive as well as this is a OPTION wheras Sony are forcing Blu-Ray on you
For those that just want gaming you're right, the current price represents good value. However there will be quite a large number of people that are getting interested in the next gen DVD formats. A lot of people have invested in nice shiny new LCDs to get an HD picture out of their consoles and so will want another decent HD source seeing as there's not much content on Sky HD at the moment. So even though the HD-DVD drive is an OPTION, I think there're an increasing number of people that are thinking about exercising that option, I know I am, but if they can get it all-in-one with a bigger HD for less then they'll go for the PS3.

MS can do it one of two ways, drop the price of the console (great for everyone as those just interested in games'll benefit as well) or drop the rumoured price of the HD-DVD so that the combined price comes in below the PS3. This isn't what I think they will do, but I do think it is what they should do.

I think the 360 has a nice lead but to maintain that MS need to keep up relentless pressure. Before they had the only next gen console, that's not going to be the case in the near future. For the XBox to beat the Playstation they need to make it a no brainer of which console to buy and they can't do it on technical specs. At the moment things they have going for them are the fact that the games are coming along nicely as the developers are getting used to the hardware. The next few titles to come on the 360 will probably be better than launch titles on the PS3. The flexibility on the machine configuration could go either way for them. Some people might like the idea of an add-on box for an HD-DVD drive. Others might not like the idea of another two boxes to cram into their stands/entertainment units.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Looks like the core price drop to £199 is official:

Eurogamer said:
MS cuts 360 Core to £199

UK retail has confirmed to our sister site GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft has officially cut the RRP of Xbox 360 Core to GBP 199.99 effective from today.

The readjustment from the previous RRP of GBP 209.99 is the first formal hardware price cut since the system launched across Europe last December.

Many UK vendors had already started selling the lower-spec version of the next-gen system, which lacks a hard drive, for the reduced price, taking a hit on their own margins. The premium system remains at an RRP of GBP 279.99.

Microsoft UK refused to confirm the cut when questioned earlier this week, commenting: "Retail price is set by our retail partners. Retailers are already selling Xbox 360 Core System from £199.99, which we believe is outstanding value to consumers."

However, GI.biz has received confirmation of the reduction today from retailers in the independent, supermarket and High Street entertainment sectors.

"The Core version has dropped by £10 today - they've issued it directly so it's not been driven by retail," a spokesperson for a leading entertainment retailer explained.

Official UK distributor Gem declined to comment and Microsoft remained unavailable at press time.
Link