1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 power supply

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by CAS FAN, Oct 18, 2005.

1. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Pooontang has just pointed me in the direction of these piccies which show the 360 power supply in all it's errr glory! It's bloody massive!! I think that i'll have to get my floor reinforced to cope with it! :eek: :eek: Seriously, when I saw a pic of it a while back I thought it was just some dev systems PSU but it seems like it's the real deal!

Here's the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek:

2. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the good thing is you wont need a heater!!!!

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Tell me about it! With that, my PC and my Z3 projector going I will lose several stone in sweat during a gaming session! :eek:

4. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    i doubt that will be the retail version, i still dont understand exactly WHY they need to be that big, a phone charger fits in your hand, a nes to GC adaptor will fit in your hand, an LCD monitore adaptor will fit in your hand. so why this big hunk of stuff?

I also wish the other console manufacturers would take a leaf out of nintendos book and do all the power conversion external to the system, nintendo are smart, they do it to stop complications, heat build up, returns. but then you look at the PS2 and xbox and you see all the problems they have

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    It's because of the power they need! Look at a PC PSU - you need a good 500w PSU these days due to the huge power drain of today's components. The 360 is more powerful than any PC around today and like a PC it has a HD and a DVD drive to power.

I'm hoping that the retail version will be smaller but I can't see it being much smaller than that as you need to give the unit adequate ventillation.

6. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
    doesn't really bother me, i'll just hide it behind my TV :)

7. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I hope it isnt retail, but if it is, its not really that surprising. Look at what its powering.
    Its better than having a 450w ATX PSU on the end of the lead. It looks pretty similar to a Shuttle PSU, just incased in plastic.

8. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if it is the finished article....

the good news is that the power supply takes a standard 'kettle' plug- for lack of the correct technical name for it :smashin:

Which means that those people thinking about importing from the US should have an easy time of it.

9. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I remember pointing that one out in Poony's "wanna be a journey" thread and Kopite and I even devoted a few posts to it ;) It's a whopper and while it might come down in size a bit, I can't see a massive reduction - it's maybe twice the length of a Nintendo PSU but it looks slightly narrower and as CAS says, this thing will be drawing a lot of power. It just shows you the length's they've had to go to cool the 360.

The hard drive is an external, 2.5" unit which is mounted in it's own well-and-truly vent drilled housing plus being a laptop unit, it's not going to be too fast or draw too much power hence not too hot.

With the hard drive and transformer off-board then, the 360 itself is basically just housing the video board, the CPU and memory (before anyone says it, obviously there are other components but these are the main elements) yet it still needs to be covered in grills... The PowerPC chips aren't exactly famous for being fast and cool so a three core unit isn't exactly going have the thermal properties of an ice cube.

I'm not sure how much power the transformer will actually output but it's essentially driving a full-on PC...

I wonder whether it will be black in the finished package? The console is white, the leads are green (green?) and the power supply is black... How about making it white like the console guys? At least then we can "hide" it in front of the skirting board. Plus white will radiate the heat better... Please? :)

10. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Personally I think it'll be much smaller than in the photo's. They're prototype and unfinished hardware after all.

PS: Cas have you been rooting round in Major Nelsons' Flick'r website? As found here. ;)

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Taken from the forum where Cas stole the pics:
    some people are anal and have problems with it....but it needs the juice to consume PS3's when they come out.

12. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    have you ever seen inside a pc psu? there is nothing in there, its all space for airflow, the powersupply doesnt have to be big at all, and as the 360 is gonna be external(well most of it) it shouldnt need cooling.
    essentially the 360 is gonna have 1 hdd 1 dvd drive and a motherboard with cpu, thats not going to need as much power as a pc so the psu should be small. afterall miniatx pcs/htpc's dont need big chunky boxes

A microwave needs alot of power but you dont see massive psu's inside them, same goes for tv's, powerdrills etc

the external psu can be the same size as a gc one with no probs, its just like anything with ms, its not finished so has to cope with more for now

13. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Any decent PC PSU will have a whacking great heatsink in it. Cheap crap ones have substantially less in them i agree.
    The majority of the power is for the CPU and GPU, which will draw a lot more power than anything you will find in a mini ITX/HTPC.
    Throwing a dual core CPU and high end GPU into a Shuttle can start to cause problems with earlier PSUs, which is why the latest 'P' series NF4 Shuttles have 400 watters in them.

Is it really that much of a big deal? For a start, the PSU pictured might not be retail, and even if it is, your only gonna see the bloody thing once when you first hook it up.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Microwaves take current directly from the mains where as a PC/Console must be converted down to something like 9v or 12v depending on the unit. There is therefore a need for a transformer. The transformer/PSU gets rather hot converting the electricity and providing it as sufficient wattage. It therefore needs adequate ventillation around it to stop it heating up and setting on fire. Previous consoles didn't have to produce as much power so they could get away with smaller transformers. TV's also run direct from the mains so again there is no need for a transformer.

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's swings and roundabouts. Whilst IBM takes great pride in the low(er) power consumption of it's Power cores (compared to Intel, for example), there are 3 of them in there. Plus a pretty hefty GPU. It's going to need a pretty good power supply - the one pictured looks reasonable.

Take a look at the PSU for a Mac mini (1 1.4Ghz Power PC G4 + a radeon 9600) - it's nearly half the size of the Mac mini itself.

None of which matters. Stick it out of sight and you'll have forgotten all about it within 1/2 a lap of PGR3 :)

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Exactly. :smashin:

17. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Who cares about the size of the thing, what we all want to know is how much noise is the thing going to generate!
    azzo

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Indeed the size isn't really a problem, more how much warmer it's going to make my games room! My PJ kicks out quite a bit of heat, as does my PC and in Summer it's pretty unbearable at times. I'm going to have to install air con at this rate. :D

19. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Very true - I've heard that the fans will spin down when playing back media and only run up when gaming. It'll be interesting to see how well it works... It never ceases to amaze me the leaps and bounds Sony made over the years with the PS2's device integration and production refinement - the V9/V10 versions of the "classic" PS2 were practically inaudible when switched on with the only clue being the blue light on the front of the machine. Not that I expect the 360 to be anywhere near silent - I'm no fool - but I can dream :) It's one thing to say "well, just turn up your sound system then" but doesn't really work at 1AM does it :rolleyes:

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That's HUUGGEE. Surely not the final retail version,, is it? :rolleyes:

21. Snubber

Snubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully you'll be able to buy them separately since I want the ability to easily move 360 console between two rooms. Would like to keep PSU squirrelled away behind furniture. Can't imagine what the cost will be.

22. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    This is allegedly the PSU as seen at the (New York, Xbox 360 Media Event on 11th & 12th October 2005). Surely this close to launch its got to be the real thing. :eek: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pheww think you were right about that just been the prototype.

following the link of the demo pod in the USA at the bottom of the page in the pic you will see the power supply fixed to the casing and its very small!

http://www.xeqtioner.net/

24. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Thanks for posting LEEMJONES, whats that plugged in the back is that something plugged into usb slot in the back? if it is do u know what it was?

was it just the wired controller, or did u hold the wireless one. Judging from the pic of the controller, the thing thats holding it has a logo which indicates its wireless though.

I hope we don't get them in any stores to try out over here in the UK, I don't fancy being in jail for trying to nick it, or staying in the shop all day until it closes and getting the bus back there to keep playing, and only to have loads of kids behind me wanting a go.

25. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Now that's much more reasonable! It's strange though that they had bulky, prototype power suppliers as, of all the components making up the 360 platform, I'd have thought that would be the best candidate for an off-the-shelf unit. Even for a prototype, it's still crazily big though. Well, looks like my rack can stay in place and CAS won't have to worry about heating up his games room too much anymore :D

On the more important noise issue though, I see they've gone for a twin fan design around the back. Here's hoping they've used fluid bearings in them. From the looks of images floating around the web it looks like the water cooling design has been dropped and they're just going to run ducts from the side-by-side CPU and GPU to the two fans on the back. Might not be too bad after all...

26. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I dont think it was ever going to be watercooled unfortunately. The way in which they described it made it sound like that, and everyone went crazy about it, but it turned out to be heatpipes like any other decent PC HSF uses. (Well, technically they have fluid in them)

I hope to god its quiet though. Regardless of bearings, they could still be noisey as hell simply because of the size of them and speed they might have to run at. I guess we'll find out on the 2nd. Anyway, its not like its going to stop me from buying it.

At least the PSU seems to be getting smaller. :D

27. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    If thats the final 360, y is the ring of light facing the wrong way? I thought it was ment to detect which way the console was and rotate automatically?

[​IMG]

28. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I would assume that the transformer is merely a protoype and isn't the final production version. I think I read on GC Ch4 375-379 that the power unit wasn't to be anywhere near as big as expected. Which holds up my view about this being an early version. Still, it's not as though you're gonna see it tucked behind the tv/cabinet or whatever.

29. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The top left corner of the ring is illuminated. If it was standing up it would be the bottom left, (looking at the 360 in it's current horizontal position).

30. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    oh right i see, i thought the little power logo in the centre would rotate as well as its facing the wrong way with it lyeing down.